Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Drill socket adapter

Options
  • 08-04-2014 4:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭

I'm looking for a drill socket adapter would anyone know of where I can get one? I have my car declared off the road so I can't go drive to the garage to use an impact gun so I need something else to get the bolts off they ain't moving by hand and they are recessed into the protective plate under the car. If I can get the drill socket adapter to get them off ill be sorted :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,652 ✭✭✭Chimaera

A normal cordless drill won't remove bolts if you can't undo them by hand - it doesn't have the torque to do it. Get yourself a 600 mm breaker bar instead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭obezyana

Chimaera wrote: »
    A normal cordless drill won't remove bolts if you can't undo them by hand - it doesn't have the torque to do it. Get yourself a 600 mm breaker bar instead.

I have a v good drill with selector gears so it will take em off alright I just need the adapter it seems that no one has any. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭juicet3rry

Are you looking for something like the 2 bits below? Radionics also look to carry something similar. Only had a very quick look but they were more expensive.
    They are only 1/4" drive extensions so you may not be able to get a socket big enough for what you need.

I'm sure your local hardware shop should have something similar

http://www.caulfieldindustrial.com/apex-extensions/p-123849pd.html

http://www.caulfieldindustrial.com/apex-14-square-drive-sockets/p-123847pd.html

juicet3rry wrote: »
    Are you looking for something like the 2 bits below? Radionics also look to carry something similar. Only had a very quick look but they were more expensive.
    They are only 1/4" drive extensions so you may not be able to get a socket big enough for what you need.

I'm sure your local hardware shop should have something similar

http://www.caulfieldindustrial.com/apex-extensions/p-123849pd.html

http://www.caulfieldindustrial.com/apex-14-square-drive-sockets/p-123847pd.html

That's exactly what I'm looking for I need a 1/2 inch one.

obezyana wrote: »
    That's exactly what I'm looking for I need a 1/2 inch one.

What size chuck is on the drill? Can't say I've ever seen a 1/2" adapter. On the phone at the minute but I'll have a look around later. Will report back...

• Advertisement

juicet3rry wrote: »
    What size chuck is on the drill? Can't say I've ever seen a 1/2" adapter. On the phone at the minute but I'll have a look around later. Will report back...

They can be got in 1/4 1/2 3/8 I managed to find em on adverts they are sold in 3s it's a pain in the ass that none of the local auto factors or hardware stores stock em as I needed it ASAP.

Thanks for your help :)

They can be got in 1/4 1/2 3/8 I managed to find em on adverts they are sold in 3s it's a pain in the ass that none of the local auto factors or hardware stores stock em as I needed it ASAP.

Thanks for your help :)

I also see some sets on Amazon. I've only ever used the 1/4" for smaller nuts. Good luck with the search!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭muddle84

Out of interest what kind of drill do you have exactly as I have never seen a handheld one with more than two gears???
    Also what part are you trying to remove off the car? You can get some sockets with a hex drive that will fit any standard 3-jaw chuck. but that depends on the size of the socket you need.

Have you tried B & Q for what you're looking for? They do stock some sets from time to time that have what you're looking for.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,652 ✭✭✭Chimaera

The problem with a drill is that any torque it applies has to be held by you through the body of the drill and when that's only as long as a ratchet you're not going to get any more torque than you would with the ratchet. The reason an impact driver does it is because it hammers the socket around instead of just pushing it.

Get a 600 mm breaker bar and you're sorted.

muddle84 wrote: »
    Out of interest what kind of drill do you have exactly as I have never seen a handheld one with more than two gears???
    Also what part are you trying to remove off the car? You can get some sockets with a hex drive that will fit any standard 3-jaw chuck. but that depends on the size of the socket you need.

Have you tried B & Q for what you're looking for? They do stock some sets from time to time that have what you're looking for.

It's a black and decker with two gears alright and additional selectors in the hand it's a v good heavy duty drill so I know it will do the job.

What I'm trying to take off is the steel plate under my car, the bolts holding it on are tight and recessed in the plate so I can't use a spanner on it and when I tried turning it by hand with the help of a long extension bar they wouldn't move. So the drill adapter was going to save the day only that no one local seems to stock em.

All is not lost iv a electric impact gun on the way 2moro so happy days.

• Advertisement

Are the additional selectors beside the chuck mechanism? If so they are your clutch settings as opposed to extra gears. If they are small bolts the drill might very well do the job, but if they can't be moved with a 1/2 inch ratchet, then your drill definately won't move them either. Even with an electric impact gun they might need to be cracked with a breaker bar first then the impact gun will speed things along for you.

Regardless a breaker bar is always a handy tool to have if you are prone to taking things apart!!!! Let us know how it all goes for you!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,175 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

Those chuck-to-6mm-hex adapters are all over the place, as are the little 6mm-to-1/4'' adapters. The average cordless drill will apply a bit of a beating to a fastener if you set it to a low torque and let it rattle it for a bit, but personally I wouldn't bother. Decent socketry and ratchet handles all the way. For difficult patients, a manual impact driver is hard to beat. Figuratively, of course. :D

I'll be at it this evening I'll let ye all know how I got on :) thanks for all the help.

Just a quick update I got the electric impact gun and it whipped the bolts off no problems the car is draining oil as I type :) thanks again for the replies.

• Registered Users Posts: 718 ✭✭✭12 element

I got the electric impact gun

I thought you said it was a drill?

Its all there in the posts. The OP had a drill but then bought an impact gun.

12 element wrote: »
    I thought you said it was a drill?

I did as I was looking for a drill adapter but in the end I just got the impact gun as it was easier to source and the better option.

• Registered Users Posts: 718 ✭✭✭12 element

Is it battery powered? I was considering buying a ryobi impact gun for this kind of thing but some bad reviews put me off!

12 element wrote: »
    Is it battery powered? I was considering buying a ryobi impact gun for this kind of thing but some bad reviews put me off!

No it's electric one which needs a transformer.

Advertisement