Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sony shutting down Studio Liverpool

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭JohnMarston

I got Wipeout Fusion when Sony were giving out three free games out of a list to compensate for PSN being shut down.
    Great game, but it completely kicked my ass, and it was only on normal difficulty

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

Wipeout was great.

On an aside you can get gpolice for your pc, still holds up well tbh

Wait wait, they made gpolice too? That's two of my favourite childhood scifi games they made.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭Josey Wales

Looks like Studio Liverpool isn't done yet.

They posted on their Twitter account that, 'We. Are. Alive.'

Link

• Registered Users Posts: 5,732 ✭✭✭Magill

Zillah wrote: »
    Every single post I have seen from you is a load of angsty sarcasm. You don't have to constantly show everyone how cool you are.

In fairness to him... that post required a reply loaded with sarcasm. /Facepalm worthy when you read stuff like that.

On topic.. not really a big loss if they do get shut down. One decent racing game in a whole gaming generation isn't exactly amazing. Not unique to gaming that a studio gets shut down for failing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

No I'm clearly agreeing with you, this is the worstest time in games bar none!

You are in no way overblowing this in the slightest!

yeah he's dead right

if only we could go back to the glory days, where 8 out of every 10 games were godawful platformers, with half of them being shoddy licenses

woe is us

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,316 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

Eurogamer was told by an unnamed source, that at the time of its closure, Studio Liverpool was working on two PlayStation 4 launch titles. One was a Wipeout title described as "dramatically different", the other was a motion capture based game along the lines of Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell. Because of the closure, it is unknown if the two games will go to other studios

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

wipeout is still in development

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭richymcdermott

• Registered Users Posts: 27,321 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

I don't think I'd want to play another Wipeout without major gameplay changes. The Playstation versions were seminal, era defining games but they've been remaking those games with minimal changes for coming up on two decades now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

Psygnosis... gone?

I remember I wrote them a letter as a child, asking them if they'd make a GI Joe game (I was rather taken by the comics at the time). They wrote back to me. It was a no, unsurprisingly, but they wrote back to me. I still have that beautiful headed letter about somewhere.

I've loved them since Shadow Of The Beast on my Amiga. This news makes me sad :'(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

Shadow of the Beast, Lemmings, Menace, Rollcage...
    Loved each of those. Not so much the F1/Wipeout games they ended up making.

Psygnosis_1994_X-it.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭Sabre Man

My first Amiga games were Defender of the Crown and Barbarian by Psygnosis. It's sad it had to end like this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭aN.Droid

Ahh shadow of the beast... such a beautiful game for it's time... This is indeed a sad day...

• Registered Users Posts: 13,828 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭Fnz

I can't see Sony abandon the WipEout brand. It must have enough mind-share to secure future instalments.

I think anti-grav racing still has an audience - despite Nintendo allowing the F-Zero franchise gather dust.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-21177604
    A group of video games developers from Sony's defunct Liverpool operation have created a studio in the city.

Sawfly Studios told the BBC it planned to release its first game - targeted at smartphones and tablets - within the next couple of months.

About 100 people lost their jobs when Sony closed what was one of the UK's oldest games developers last August.

The unit was responsible for the Wipeout racing series, but dated back to 1984, when it was called Psygnosis.

Four of its former employees are involved in the new business - two designers, a programmer and an artist - but they said they might take on other ex-Sony Liverpool Studio workers once they had launched their initial title.

Some good news...

Advertisement