Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Passing exams

Options
  • 25-02-2015 10:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭

Okay, so a friend told me that even if you get 40% of a module from continuous work (labs, tutorials etc.) that you still have to get 40% of the exam at the end of the year as well?

Like for example if i get 20 percent of my mark from my tutorials, and 20 percent from my labs.. say the overall marks are 100 marks, i get 20 marks from tutorials and 20 marks from labs, there are 60 marks left. Can i get like 10 marks and still pass? or do i have to get 24 marks (40% of 60) to pass the module?

the figures are juste made up.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,724 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

Depends on the module and lecturer. You may have to pass the paper as well as whatever assignments lab work etc you have been given. Some require a pass in both, some will just require a pass overall

All you can do is ask either your course director or your individual lecturers what the protocol is for the modules you are taking.

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭Tears in Rain

Google the course handbook for your course, there should be one published online for every degree course that has the rules for passing and failing for each module in each year.

• Registered Users Posts: 551 ✭✭✭Polka_Dot

As above, it depends on the course. I know for science in 1st and 2nd year once you get 40% overall it doesn't matter if you failed the paper or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭LauraaWhelann

thanks everyone! Um, i tried googling it but couldn't find anything. Im doing human genetics, and am doing the same modules of the science students, as well as a module on genetics.. so would the same rules apply as they apply for science? thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 551 ✭✭✭Polka_Dot

Not sure about the human genetics module (I think that's all CA anyway?) but I'm pretty sure it's the same for you as for science as they're the same modules.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,761 ✭✭✭Lawliet

thanks everyone! Um, i tried googling it but couldn't find anything. Im doing human genetics, and am doing the same modules of the science students, as well as a module on genetics.. so would the same rules apply as they apply for science? thanks!

Best to clear this kind of thing up with the course co-ordinator, departments can set their own rules and don't always state them very clearly in the handbook.

Advertisement