Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Economics/Maths TSM vs. MSISS vs. Science MPG

Options
  • 30-01-2015 12:38am
    Registered Users Posts: 12

Hi,
    I have just filled in my CAO and I have come across a little bit of a dilemma. My first choice is Ec and Fi as I want to have some sort of quantitative business/ finance/ banking/ maths job in the future. However, in the likely event that I do not get the necessary points (aiming for 560-580), I want to know which course would be best for this career path.

Economics/ Maths TSM (Trinity): This will most likely be my second choice but I am a bit worried about the pure maths element of the course. I am quite a solid maths student and will probably get a comfortable B in the LC but I am worried that I will not be able to cope with maths at college level as it is obviously quite a step up. Would doing maths as part of a TSM be too much for a B student at leaving cert level? Is it just as difficult as doing maths on its own as a single degree?

MSISS (Trinity): This course looks great on paper, lot of maths, economics, business, computer skills and workplace skills etc. but I am a bit put off by how unpopular it seems to be. Almost no-one I know has heard of it and the points in recent years have been in the 300's (although it was 515 last year). I know you shouldn't dismiss a course based on low points and it's popularity (or lack thereof) but I am worried that future employers might not regard it as a good course. Also would this course be good for the sort of career I'm looking for? (Keep in mind I will most likely do some sort of masters in finance or the likes after college)

Science MPG (UCD): This is essentially the maths department of UCD and I would be looking to do maths or preferably statistics but again I have reservations based on my level of maths. Also, would statistics be considered a very good degree (with a masters) for a job in banking/ finance?

Honourable mentions: Further down the CAO list I have BESS, Economics (UCD), economics and maths as a joint arts degree in UCD (last resort, or is it?). Any good???? (Please don't suggest actuarial, my sister did that and just no)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭Lynchy747

As a current MSISS student in 3rd year, I can testify that this course is not just good on paper. Graduates are extremely sought after. Most people are handpicked even before they graduate for jobs. As well as this most of the classes are extremely small and therefore you get to know lecturers well (Except BESS modules). My class only has 29 students in it at the moment. A comparable 3rd year BESS class have 200+ students, so it's kind of easy to see who's going to be sought after. BESS people with a good range of skills minus computer skills to a high standard. Or someone with strong business and strong computer skills. It is a niche in the jobs market at present.

I would be glad to answer any questions you have via PM or publicly.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭ganon

Maths/Econ TSM myself- I would highly recommend my course. They usually say to study pure maths at college that even if you get a B in the LC, you'd want to be the kind of person that's aiming for an A.
    That said, it's only the maths in the first two years that you might struggle with a bit, after that you can take a lot of statistics modules, which are generally a walk in the park if you can get your head around the pure maths stuff.
    It is the perfect complement with Economics though. If it is specifically Economics that you're interested in (as opposed to Business/Finance), having Maths as half your degree will give you opportunities that Economics plus something-else or single honours Economics will just not have
    MSISS seems like a great course too!

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭Lynchy747

ganon wrote: »
    Maths/Econ TSM myself- I would highly recommend my course. They usually say to study pure maths at college that even if you get a B in the LC, you'd want to be the kind of person that's aiming for an A.
    That said, it's only the maths in the first two years that you might struggle with a bit, after that you can take a lot of statistics modules, which are generally a walk in the park if you can get your head around the pure maths stuff.
    It is the perfect complement with Economics though. If it is specifically Economics that you're interested in (as opposed to Business/Finance), having Maths as half your degree will give you opportunities that Economics plus something-else or single honours Economics will just not have
    MSISS seems like a great course too!

I only got a C2 in HL Maths, and I have to say I did struggle with the first two years of MSISS in engineering maths. I don't know much about TSM in Econ and Maths, sounds like a good course too! There's a lot of options!

• Registered Users Posts: 22 DevL

I graduated from MSISS in 2010, did an MSc in Finance in 2011 and started a grad program in banking in London straight after graduation. Lots of my class over here working in jobs like consultancy, FMCG, Google, etc. To my knowledge all of my class who wanted jobs got them.

MSISS is a really excellent course with great job prospects.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 ranchero42

DevL wrote: »
    I graduated from MSISS in 2010, did an MSc in Finance in 2011 and started a grad program in banking in London straight after graduation. Lots of my class over here working in jobs like consultancy, FMCG, Google, etc. To my knowledge all of my class who wanted jobs got them.

MSISS is a really excellent course with great job prospects.

Sounds like just what I want. Any idea if it's better than doing BESS with heavy quant subjects in final year?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

Graduated from MSISS in 2014. All of my class is in full-time employment, with the exception of one guy who chose to do a post-grad. Currently working in banking/finance myself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭K4t

ganon wrote: »
    Maths/Econ TSM myself-
    It is the perfect complement with Economics though.
    History says hello. ;)

Advertisement