Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Region free

Options
  • 09-01-2005 2:01am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭

I own a number of dvds that are not region 2, mainly region1 such as highlander boxsets which are not avalible on region 2. I do have a region free dvd player at home but not where i am living at the moment. My dvd drive will only let me change regions a couple of times.
    Does anyone know where i can get a patch or something to let me change the region of the drive whenever i want?

thanks

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

Look for a program called "DVD Region-Free", should do the trick. 30 day trial iirc.

This thread really belongs in Computers or Windows.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭Recon

thanks

can it be moved to computers?

• Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

Well, it might be, or it might become shadows and dust...

It's fairly late, I doubt Draco or LoLth are about. You could post it again in the Computers forum and just annotate with "originally posted in the wrong board" if you want to, but I don't think anyone's going to get on your back for it.

If there's no open-source type-thing for region free then I'm reasonably certain that the program I suggested is the safest (ie, no firmware flashing) method.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 920 ✭✭✭elvis2002

i'd go for Anydvd, a much better proggy than dvd region free. Its made by slysoft.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 316 ✭✭callmescratch

i use dvd region free, works like a charm

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭Recon

thanks for that. I downloaded both of them. I'll see how well they work

• Registered Users Posts: 20,914 ✭✭✭✭Stark

There's also forum.rpc1.org for a firmware solution. May be necessary if your drive is one of the newer RPC3 drives (DVD region free only works on RPC1 and RPC2 drives).

Note: Using a firmware patch is perfectly legal though it does invalidate your warranty.

⛥ ̸̱̼̞͛̀̓̈́͘#C̶̼̭͕̎̿͝R̶̦̮̜̃̓͌O̶̬͙̓͝W̸̜̥͈̐̾͐Ṋ̵̲͔̫̽̎̚͠ͅT̸͓͒͐H̵͔͠È̶̖̳̘͍͓̂W̴̢̋̈͒͛̋I̶͕͑͠T̵̻͈̜͂̇Č̵̤̟̑̾̂̽H̸̰̺̏̓ ̴̜̗̝̱̹͛́̊̒͝⛥

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

Stark wrote:
    Note: Using a firmware patch is perfectly legal though it does invalidate your warranty.

Only if you tell them ;)

If you have a Freecom drive there's a piece of software which removes the regional coding on the fly (not firmware) or resets the count as many times as you like. It's actually Freecom supported afaik. If you have one of these drives let me know and I'll dig up the link to it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 594 ✭✭✭mobile04

im flashing dvd writers at the moment pioneers
    any one got one ill do it for them
    4 speed to 8 speed and no region lock ....

2 seconds.....

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭Zounds

On a fairly related topic:
    Can anyone tell me how i can get a region 1 or non-regioned DVD player, other than buying one in america? Someone told you can pick em up in shops just like the region 2s but i've yet to see any

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 594 ✭✭✭mobile04

send me over the model number
    there mabye a hack for it .
    or if not i may be able to flash it with a palm pilot.
    pioneer and sonys philips are usualy easy to do.by palm

cheap models are normaly handset hacks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 920 ✭✭✭elvis2002

yah all you need to do is pick out a dvd player you like, take the model number before you buy then type it into google like "Song DVS6000 Region Hack". If you get positive results with a hack then go buy it, if you dont find a hack then obviosuly go look for another. There you go, a multi region dvd player.

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭talking_walnut

Have a look here. Search for whatever your model number is. Great resource

Advertisement