Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Big victorian-esque house in Ongar

Options
  • 14-07-2014 1:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 853 ✭✭✭

I pass this most days, and I am very curious as to what it once was? It is now idle, but it looks to have been part of an estate long ago. These things fascinate and I'd be interested to find out what it once was.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,201 ✭✭✭ongarite

Its just a building built by the developers during construction of Ongar.

There used to be an old estate house but that was demolished during construction.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,380 ✭✭✭fletch

What about Phibblestown House? Anybody know what it is used for? It's wedged in the middle of a housing estate now.
    25639510.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 23,797 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

ongarite wrote: »
    Its just a building built by the developers during construction of Ongar.

There used to be an old estate house but that was demolished during construction.

Very diplomatic!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭quazzy

It was called Phibblestown house. It was an estate of about 14 acres with lots of Farm buildings on it etc...

A friend of mine used to live in it and I spent a lot of time up there with him and his family.

They keep chickens, ducks, goats etc.. on the land

I wasnt even sure if it was still standing after the Ongar estate was built.

Fun fact - Pickerings lifts had a workshop on the site as my friend's dad ran the company.

I have very fond memories of the place.

Must drive around and see the place.

http://www.buildingsofireland.ie/niah/search.jsp?type=record&county=FI&regno=11352004

https://www.google.ie/maps/place/Apartment+2,+Teach+Bhaile+Fiobail,+Phibblestown+Ave,+Dublin+15/@53.399146,-6.4369672,118m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m13!1m10!4m9!1m3!2m2!1d-6.4369739!2d53.3989912!1m3!2m2!1d-6.4370274!2d53.3990975!3e2!3m1!1s0x48676d7ac48b91c5:0x59618ed935f2b767

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 20,650 CMod ✭✭✭✭amdublin

where actually is Phibblestown??

And what is in that big old house now? It is beside new apartments?

• Advertisement

OP, are you referring to this or this one?

• Registered Users Posts: 853 ✭✭✭DeadlyByDesign

The first link fletch, its the one by the playground

• Closed Accounts Posts: 879 ✭✭✭TheBandicoot

Before the housing came it was an estate/horse stud as mentioned. I believe the local rumour is it was demolished by accident by the builders and thus the current new build was created.

It has been idle since construction. There's constantly talk of turning it into something like a restaurant/hotel/community centre etc, but nothing concrete. Speaking of which, I believe it has pyrite problems. TBH, the whole thing is just depressing.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 426 ✭✭MammaZita

Before the housing came it was an estate/horse stud as mentioned. I believe the local rumour is it was demolished by accident by the builders and thus the current new build was created.

It has been idle since construction. There's constantly talk of turning it into something like a restaurant/hotel/community centre etc, but nothing concrete. Speaking of which, I believe it has pyrite problems. TBH, the whole thing is just depressing.

There has been a Community Centre in Ongar for several years. And another (Phibblestown Community Centre) a few hundred metres away.

Ongar House was intended as a pub/restaurant.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭Twizzler

fletch wrote: »

405K + 200K of pyrite damage....but when you consider that some of the houses in Blackwood/Ongar Chase were bought for over 600K in boom times, it's not a bad deal if you can afford it, if you're looking at getting a return on your investment long-term (putting the issue of needing a family home etc. aside). A few of the units in the village were sold at the Allsop auctions last year for silly money too, e.g.
    Dublin AMV: € 35,000 Sale Price: € 62,500 Auction Date: 15th May 2013
    rentlist_spacer.gif
    [SIZE=-1]
    Address: Dublin 15 6 Ongar Square Ongar Village
    Description: A Vacant Long Leasehold Self-Contained Second Floor Office Suite extending to Approximately 139.61 sq m (1,502.70 sq ft)
    [/SIZE]
    [SIZE=-1]
    [/SIZE]
    My apartment cost over four times that! It's all about timing.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

amdublin wrote: »
    where actually is Phibblestown??

And what is in that big old house now? It is beside new apartments?

I believe Phibblestown house itself is converted apartments also or at least looked like it when I walked by there once

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 426 ✭✭MammaZita

Phibblestown was an estate where Allendale, "rat road", Scoil Gráinne and parts of Latchford are now.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,846 ✭✭✭ozmo

I pass this most days, and I am very curious as to what it once was? It is now idle, but it looks to have been part of an estate long ago. These things fascinate and I'd be interested to find out what it once was.

It seems to be on the spot of what was called Hansfield House

http://maps.osi.ie/publicviewer/#V1,703837,739490,7,9

But if you use the overlay slider on that page you can see its a quite different layout.

“Roll it back”

ongarboy wrote: »
    I believe Phibblestown house itself is converted apartments also or at least looked like it when I walked by there once

It is alright, nicely appointed ones too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭Arciphel

Here's what the old Phibblestown House used to look like...

mMfXtT0.png

Then the developers moved in...

eFRns4V.jpg

I thought all that was up there was apartment blocks like below, didn't know that the original house was still there.

http://i.imgur.com/z6TLQrU.jpg

Any photos of the apartments in it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Kbellew

It was once the holiday home of famous actress and dancer Rita Hayworth

Thought this might be the most appropriate thread to give an update on Ongar House (the big yellow house opposite Paddy Power and Rendezvous cafe in Ongar Village).

Good to see some life injected into the building! Not sure I'm mad about the plan for balconies on all sides though....

Plans submitted to Fingal Co Co just before Christmas
    FW16A/0190

1) Redevelopment and change of use of Ongar House, from last approved use of restaurant, license bar, Reg Ref No F03A/0607 to use as part retail/cafe & residental, to include retail/ cafe on part of ground floor with ancillary servicing facilities at basement level, with residental use on remainder of ground floor, first floor and new additional second floor at roof level to contain 8 No. apartments with balconies to all elevations. 2) two storey annex building to the side of existing house to contain retail/cafe on ground floor, with 1. No apartment on first floor with roof terrace. 3) construction of new 3 storey apartment building containing 4 No. apartments including 2 No. duplexs, with roof terraces to north-east elevation. 4) site works to include revised roadways to provide new carparking layout, with bin stores & bike stores and ancillary site works.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭Phil.x

Great, just what the area needed!!

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭robbie000

I would be surprised to see that getting approved for the additional buildings might be allowed to change the main building to residential and retail do.

I think the coffee shop already in Ongar will be putting in an objection anyway as they wont want any competition.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,752 ✭✭✭Polar101

What a bizarre plan, 3 storey apartment building and 2 story cafe? I guess they'd knock down most of the trees around the building.

Sooner the better, its the heart of that village and at the moment its dead.

There are plenty of precedents around Dublin where old manors were converted and had wings added on, it can be done very sympathetically.

Polar101 wrote: »
    What a bizarre plan, 3 storey apartment building and 2 story cafe? I guess they'd knock down most of the trees around the building.

That would be a shame if they remove any of the mature trees as they are one of the nicer elements of the village area!

Fingal County Council have refused the application to redevelop Ongar House to include a 3 storey apartment block to the east, additional apartments built on top of the main house roof and a cafe extension.

I looked at the images in the planning document. While I'd love to see the house been developed and utilised, what was proposed was quite ugly. I hope the developers resubmit a more attractive option so that it doesn't remain idle.

FW16A/0190

• Registered Users Posts: 853 ✭✭✭DeadlyByDesign

Fingal County Council have refused the application to redevelop Ongar House to include a 3 storey apartment block to the east, additional apartments built on top of the main house roof and a cafe extension.

I looked at the images in the planning document. While I'd love to see the house been developed and utilised, what was proposed was quite ugly. I hope the developers resubmit a more attractive option so that it doesn't remain idle.

FW16A/0190

Even if it was just restored surely you could get a nice B&B or something in there? It's a shame

• Registered Users Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭Phil.x

I see builders have been working there over the last few weeks (lockdown). The only building projects I know of that are active are social welfare programs.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,000 ✭✭✭Pat Dunne

Even if it was just restored surely you could get a nice B&B or something in there? It's a shame

What demographic would a “nice B&B” be aimed at in Ongar D15?

Phil.x wrote: »
    I see builders have been working there over the last few weeks (lockdown). The only building projects I know of that are active are social welfare programs.

I saw a very large Romayos truck drive in there last week too. They must be starting fit out for the restaurant on the side. As you said, I'm surprised any construction workers were allowed to return to non essential work before next Monday.

https://www.rent.ie/houses-to-let/Ongar-House-Ongar-Dublin-15/2028589/

€2100 pm rent for 3 bed apartments. The interiors and kitchen look remarkably plain for brand new 2020 apartments. I think I'd hate to live on the main street like that with the kitchen smells and noise of a chipper emanating from the soon to be opened Romayos below them. I'd much rather rent in a more residential area of Ongar away from the main street of the village.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,427 ✭✭✭Hibernicis

https://www.rent.ie/houses-to-let/Ongar-House-Ongar-Dublin-15/2028589/

The interiors and kitchen look remarkably plain for brand new 2020 apartments.

You’re being very kind. I’d describe it as drab, at a stretch. And that’s before the smell of the deep fat friers.

Advertisement