Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Opel Insignia 'thermal incident'

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,672 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

Another insight into the Opel Insignia (there have been several threads on Boards.ie about gearbox failures, wiring loom issues etc)

http://www.gazettegroup.com/news/familys-lucky-car-fire-escape/

Spontaneous fires (aka thermal incidents as Opel Ireland prefer to call them) appear to have happened more than Opel Ireland would care to put a number on - they declined to give a number to RTE's Consumer Show as reported this week.

http://www.rte.ie/player/ie/show/10282765/

That news article is the car that was shown on the Consumer Show :confused:

Not sure how that shows incidents happen more than Opel Ireland would car to put a number on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 844 ✭✭✭H.E. Pennypacker

R.O.R wrote: »
    That news article is the car that was shown on the Consumer Show :confused:

Not sure how that shows incidents happen more than Opel Ireland would car to put a number on.

The links refer to the same car. The interesting thing for me (apart from Opel Ireland's reluctance to use the word 'fire') was their acknowledgement of multiple spontaneous fires along with an independent assessor's description of multiple similar occurrences as well as a description of a service bulletin relating to a related issue.

There are regular threads here enquiring about the Insignia - this is worth a mention for the benefit of those who may search on the car.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭Frankie Lee

I've heard of forced DPF regenerations going wrong on them, could normal regeneration be the cause?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,361 ✭✭✭✭nullzero

Let's hope that Opel rename the insignia the Canyonero a la the simpsons; "unexplained fires are a matter for the courts".

Glazers Out!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,268 ✭✭✭visual

the problem reported is leaking steering fluid that ignites from exhaust
    Open claim it is rare and Opel findings are inconclusive except to say that the car isn't at fault. RTE engineer examined car and found evidence that the problem was caused by steering fluid leaking on to hot exhaust and catching fire and its more common than Opel will admit.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,954 ✭✭✭Tail Docker

Opel Incinerateya?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,845 ✭✭✭Noccy_Mondy

Lads lets just leave it until Opel come on this, and explain everything clearly... :rolleyes:

Whenever the words "insignia" and "fire" are ushered they are here like a shot.......

Any moment now....

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭goz83

I was considering an insignia of this vintage. Not now.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

• Registered Users Posts: 2 wannabe214ever

Hi All,

I have a 2010 Insignia, bought in October 2011 from a Garage and in October 2013, I was going around a roundabout and my power steering went (Stopped working). My mechanic dissembled the power steering pipe and found cable ties attached- obviously a issue previous to be buying it. I feel I was driving a death-trap for over two years, thank god it didn't go on Fire. I have contacted Opel ireland and they have offered me a voucher for parts and service out of "GOODWILL" which I am reluctant to accept as I feel I was sold a faulty car, am I right?

I have contacted the Consumer agency and they said under the SAles of good and services Act 1980, that I may have a case to highlight. I found out from Opel Ireland that a new clutch and fly wheel were replaces a month to me purchasing....can I anybody tell me was this a recall???? . I had nothing but bother with it....needed 4 new tyres 3 months after me purchasing, calibres were out, Brake pads burnt out with no indication - only smoke coming form wheels every so often.....

Never ever again will I deal with a Insignia.....was a corsa, Astra owner previous.

Is there people on here with the same issue, following the consumer show??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,174 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

"Thermal incident"... I love it! That's even better than the old Rolls-Royce "failure to proceed"! :pac::pac::pac:

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 13,381 Mod ✭✭✭✭Paulw

i have an Insignia. The power steering pipe failed over a year ago. Thankfully, no fire. I brought it to our local mechanic who called Opel, to find out that the replacement was a "service update" for the car. Opel replaced it FOC.

After seeing the show, I am glad there was no fire, but am also thankful that it has been replaced now.

Should be a recall instead Opel is hoping it will go unreported and unnoticed and cover it up at next service in dealers

except some don't use main dealers and cars will slip through the net and not get done at all.

The Opel will play dumb when someones car goes on fire and they will be left claiming off their insurance and losing their no claims bonus

have to amire companies like toyota who do recalls

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭Kingser

There is a recall on this, I know because I've done wheel alignment on quite a number of Insignas due to new steering racks been fitted.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 13,381 Mod ✭✭✭✭Paulw

Kingser wrote: »
    There is a recall on this, I know because I've done wheel alignment on quite a number of Insignas due to new steering racks been fitted.

If there is a recall, why have Opel not contacted all Insignia owners?

• Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭RootX

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b006mg74/features/vauxhall-insignia

Perhaps you guys should check with Opel Ireland?
    Vauxhall currently have a Service Action in effect in the UK on 6,900 Insignia Diesel Vehicles built in Model Years 2009 and 2010. The service action was to deal with a slow leak from the power steering pipe joint and is not safety related either in terms of rapid loss of steering assistance or fire. There are no instances where the slow leak has resulted in a vehicle fire. The decision to handle this as a service update minimises the inconvenience to customers. The service action refers only to diesel-engined vehicles, petrol-engined vehicles are not affected.

If customers have any concerns about their vehicle, Vauxhall is always happy to arrange for an inspection at a local Vauxhall retailer. Customers who may wish to ascertain whether their Insignia is the subject of the service action should contact their local retailer who can advise if their vehicle is within the range and if so, whether or not it has already been reworked.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭Sobanek

Would this concern a 2012 Insignia? My neighbour has one and it's parked right next to my BMW :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,615 ✭✭✭ba_barabus

jimgoose wrote: »
    "Thermal incident"... I love it! That's even better than the old Rolls-Royce "failure to proceed"! :pac::pac::pac:

Nothing beats MGs 2009 recall for LOSS OF DIRECTIONAL CONTROL on the TF.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,018 ✭✭✭knipex

Had a new Insignia in 09 (one of the first) had a power steering pipe leak in 2010 and was replaced by Opel. At the time I was told it was a known issue and was supposed to result in a recall.

Loved the car though, very comfortable reasonable power good spec and looked well. Appart from that one issue never had any problems with it.

Much preferred it to the Mondeo. .

Would have another tomorrow. .

• Registered Users Posts: 47 Vertical

Hired an almost-new insignia in France in the summer of 2012, it was a diesel. Got stuck down a narrow lane on a hot day (>35deg) and had to do about an 8 point turn on a hill to get back out. Just got turned around with steering on full lock and a huge amount of smoke came from under the bonnet followed by a really bad burning smell. I got the kids out of the car immediately, I was certain it was going to burst into flames. Smoke cleared and we eventually got out of there. Smell lingered for a couple of days longer, I could see it was some sort of fluid spilled on the hot exhaust pipe but assumed it was engine oil. No errors came up on the dash.

I was in the market for a similar sized car at the time but decided I would NEVER buy an insignia!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,250 ✭✭✭markpb

Is it possible you stopped on top of some kindling or something similar? The Insignia's manual is full of warnings about the external temperature that the DPF can run at and warns not to park on top of something that might disagree with a sudden baking.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 Vertical

markpb wrote: »
    Is it possible you stopped on top of some kindling or something similar? The Insignia's manual is full of warnings about the external temperature that the DPF can run at and warns not to park on top of something that might disagree with a sudden baking.

No. Gravel/ tarmac. It was laboring because of the steep incline of the lane and the tight manoeuvering not to mind the heat. When I looked under the car later there was some oily substance burned onto the exhaust pipe. It certainly made me sweat at the time. There was no noticeable impact on the power steering performance, I guess it does not take a lot of fluid to make worrying amounts of smoke. I was luckily in the situation where I had only rented it, I would have been angry if it went up in flames and I'd lost my excess.

markpb wrote: »

Thats been mentioned in car manuals since the fitting of CATs many moons ago
    whats not in your manual is that the power steering can go faulty (known fault) and ignite on hot exhaust setting the car on fire.
    What is not been done is a recall to rectify a known dangerous fault.

• Registered Users Posts: 816 ✭✭✭Gazzmonkey

visual wrote: »
    have to amire companies like toyota who do recalls

You say that as if a recall is a good thing, no one admires Toyota because they had to recall their cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,866 ✭✭✭✭MuppetCheck

Gazzmonkey wrote: »
    You say that as if a recall is a good thing, no one admires Toyota because they had to recall their cars.

I think there's a lot to be admired in issuing a recall and admitting there's something for wrong. Toyota have don't this over the most minor of things to ensure instances like this 'thermal incident' don't happen. Look at BMW and their timing chains - are they to be admired for ignoring the problem?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

i think people do. it's the genuine, honest, polite, legitimate thing to do. they found an issue with a few cars, put their hands up and admitted they were wrong, recalled all the cars at a massive cost to themselves and looked after everybody who spent money with them and as a result, the media has torn their reputation to shreds, for being out straight and honest with their people.

GM/ Opel/ Vauxhall has decided to sweep under the rug the fact that they know and understand that their is an issue with some (approx 7 thousand in the UK alone) of their cars that can and has caused them to go up in flames. what has Opel done? deny and link between incidents, play down any issues that have arisen and not even offered a recall for this dangerous fault to loyal customers who have spent €20-30k with them for a new car. why? to save money and to save face for themselves and to **** their customers, leaving them at risk and leaving them at the loss of a car in some cases, or at least at the loss of their NCB etc.

but as is the way with the modern world, Opel will come out on top with their reputation intact for doing the wrong thing and Toyota who dealt with everything amicably has lost theirs almost entirely.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,174 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

It is a good thing. All manufacturers make the odd balls-up, not all have the stones to hold their hands up and sort it. Jaguar for example went to huge expense to sort the dreaded Nikasil bore-liner demon with the AV26 V8 engines. They replaced entire engines, (they also recalled the plastic timing-chain tensioners) the result being that any 4l V8s still around are solid.

Your missing the point by a country mile, if a product is correctly designed and manufactured there will be no need for a recall.

If the product is faulty then there will be need for a recall.

So the existence of a recall means you got a dodgy product, this is not a good thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,866 ✭✭✭✭MuppetCheck

Your missing the point by a country mile, if a product is correctly designed and manufactured there will be no need for a recall.

If the product is faulty then there will be need for a recall.

So the existence of a recall means you got a dodgy product, this is not a good thing.

With so many different parts sourced from various producers going into a car there's always going to be something that's more prone to failure or have a knock on effect. No car will ever be totally faultless. But how it's handled once it's identified is important.

Recalls don't necessarily mean that a dodgy product, it's too general a way of looking at it. Often recalls are made due to something incredibly minor. If it's something at the other end of the scale it's all too often ignored due to the cost of rectifying it. By your logic the recalled car is the inferior product. I wouldn't agree.

• Advertisement

With so many different parts sourced from various producers going into a car there's always going to be something that's more prone to failure or have a knock on effect. No car will ever be totally faultless. But how it's handles once it's identified is important.

Recalls don't necessarily mean that a dodgy product, it's too general way of looking at it. Often recalls are made due to something incredibly minor. If it's something at the other end of the scale it's all too often ignored due to the cost of rectifying it. By your logic the recalled car is the inferior product. I wouldn't agree.

when a recall is needed but never happens, that is a bad thing.

But a recall is always to rectify a fault that shouldn't have happened so it's never a good thing.

Simple.

Advertisement