Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Modern Monetary Theory and the economic crisis

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭ezra_pound

Eh, I said exactly why I posted it in the bit you quote:

Again, I explained in my previous post:

That is true simply as a matter of basic accounting; there is no difference in the end result between the two.

Central banks don't have to be incorporated into government to allow that either (it could be done that way as well though), as they could have taxes passed on to them to be extinguished, with control over crediting governments capital account.

Again, all such reconfigurations of the financial system are political issues; there is no fundamental economic issue behind it all.

A. Your earlier post is not empirical evidence or an academic reference.

B. Your argument that tax dollars don't fund current expenditure has nothing to do with basic accounting, reality or empiricism.

C. That's two strawman posts in a row. Mods please intervene !

D. Central banks esp. The fed and the ecb are independent of government. Your argument is centrally flawed as a government can't tell the bank what to print and therefore can't create funds for gov spending.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,797 ✭✭✭KyussBishop

You either don't know what a straw-man argument is, or you're applying the term incorrectly:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Straw_man

Explain how anything I posted relies upon a straw-man argument.

This statement about government accounting, that I've repeated several times now, is inherently true mathematically:
    That is all just electronic accounting balances within government; for a government with sovereign control over its own currency, there is no difference between:
    1: Crediting the government capital account with taxes as they come in, and
    2: Subtracting collected taxes from the money supply itself, and crediting the government capital account using money creation, by the same amount.

If you disagree with that, provide a counterargument.

I explained in my previous post, how the central bank configuration would work, which you seem to be deliberately ignoring now just for the sake of repeating the same arguments, so I'm getting the impression you're deliberately trying to muddy/derail discussion here:
    Central banks don't have to be incorporated into government to allow that either (it could be done that way as well though), as they could have taxes passed on to them to be extinguished, with control over crediting governments capital account.

So, central banks would extinguish taxes, and would issue created money into governments capital account (giving them a certain amount of policy control over the latter).

Again, the central bank reconfiguration is a political issue, not an economic issue.

You either don't know what a straw-man argument is, or you're applyiwithng the term incorrectly:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Straw_man

Explain how anything I posted relies upon a straw-man argument.

This statement about government accounting, that I've repeated several times now, is inherently true mathematically:

If you disagree with that, provide a counterargument.

I explained in my previous post, how the central bank configuration would work, which you seem to be deliberately ignoring now just for the sake of repeating the same arguments, so I'm getting the impression you're deliberately trying to muddy/derail discussion here:

So, central banks would extinguish taxes, and would issue created money into governments capital account (giving them a certain amount of policy control over the latter).

Again, the central bank reconfiguration is a political issue, not an economic issue.

You know what I'm convinced. You're right. Taxes are collected to be destroyed and government spending is funded by newly created money. Silly me.

Your academic reference to support that as well as your empirical supporting evidence and sound logical argument have all left me convinced that you are completely right.

Yes, got you, government says we need x amount of money. Central bank says no problem, coming right up.

Now I know how nations really pay their way

Thanks

A couple of months ago, the 'Trillion Dollar Coin' debate over the debt-ceiling/sequestration in the US, almost drew enough attention to MMT to make it a mainstream topic, and recently I was linked to this excellent article on that:
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/mike-sandler/the-trillion-dollar-coin_b_2575357.html

This article gives a great introductory synopsis of MMT, and even better, does a very good job detailing its importance for replacing the current 'debt-based' monetary system, and also how it will play a critical role in moving towards environmentally sustainable economics.

So that's a really excellent article, for getting an introductory overview of MMT, and explaining why it is so important, and even going beyond that, to describe a potential system for environmentally sustainable economics (though the last part is a relatively new topic to me, so not convinced on those particular policies).

Additionally, I've read up a bit recently, on authors/academics trying to develop/promote more sustainable economic systems (particularly steady-state economics), but have not yet dug into that topic in-depth; this however, is a good article on that from Herman Daly (one of the more prominent writers/academics in that field), which resonates well with MMT views:
    http://steadystate.org/nationalize-money-not-banks/

I don't agree with all of that (there are a lot of additional economic views there which I've not considered before, and I'd also support very different banking reforms to that article), but it's a fairly good article, which details well, some of the basic mechanisms by which MMT would also work (but also detailing much more well beyond MMT, more focused on steady-state economics).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,027 ✭✭✭Lantus

1/2/3: Those are good points; central banks are heavily intertwined with government, so while they have heavy (often democratically unaccountable) independence, they are still part of the state, and have an enormous influence over politics.

One of the biggest myths people have is that governments 'create money' which is entirely untrue. The truth is that they are at the stanglehold of large private banks which control essentially every country on this fine planet.

The idea that governments have financial control is something the major and central banks are quite happy to allow to perpetuate as it diverts any focus away from them.

Its not that they are often democratically unaccountable, its they simply are unaccountable. The Fed in america is a private organisation that answers to no-one. Not even the president can alter who runs it or any decision that they make. Alan Greenspan reigned for 18 years and saw presidents come and go.

The feds own publication modern money mechanics makes for chilling reading as to the way in whcih our economies and ultimatley our lives are run and controlled by money, essentially created out of thin air and called debt.

I'd also recommend web of debt by Ellen hodgson brown. Its a 500+page monster but free pdfs are on line if you search plus paper on amazon.

• Advertisement

Yes, very good points; that's not something I've looked at in detail before (the 'independence' of central banks, and their revolving door with powerful banks, plus other corrupting interests), but is interesting and certainly something that would be good to read up more on.
    The Rothschilds are the ultimate example of this throughout history, though even them I haven't read up on much either.

Thanks, I may check out that book, since it's about exactly this topic; I've a pile I mean to get through eventually, but that's definitely a topic that interests me :)

I've been debating this again on another thread, and framing the debate in terms of 'private' vs 'public' use of money creation, is very very useful; a lot of people reflexively dismiss public (government) use of money creation, while not realizing that private banks use money creation all of the time.

There is all sorts of scaremongering about hyperinflation and such, yet private banks extend money through money creation as well; they might argue that banks extend loans that get repaid with debt/interest, but then debt/interest is to private money creation, what taxes are to public money creation (just two different ways of taking money back out of the economy).

It also leads to the wider argument (which I'm sure would be addressed in that book): Why on earth should these unaccountable private banks, be allowed to create money out of nothing, and then charge interest on it? Those are precisely the kind of rent-seeking profits, that should be under public control.

That's another policy I don't think I mentioned on this thread, but which would also compliment MMT (I don't think it is a standard part of it though): It would be pretty easy to remove the use of money creation from private banks, and provide a public banking service instead (the private banks would still be around, but would be full reserve though).

Also, here is part of a post I did elsewhere a good while ago, which I should have cross-posted here, which I think is a pretty nice way of introducing MMT with a few easy incremental steps:
    1: Unlinks government spending from taxes, and limits it based on the inflation target instead; nice way of avoiding hyperinflation scaremongering, and forces people to talk in terms of inflation.
    2: Gives a pretty watertight way of showing how taxes are directly a method of managing inflation, and also implicitly shows how 'deficit' spending adds money to the economy, and government 'surplus' would remove money
    3: Gives a rather big perspective change on what taxes are actually for, and totally disarms a lot of conservative economic narrative in doing so.

Lets say that this is a representation of how government finances currently work: (don't click the table headers, as it messes them up)
    ||Gov Current Account||Revenue Account||Private sector
    Operation||Assets||Assets||Assets
    Taxation||||+Tax||-Tax
    Revenue to current account||+Tax||-Tax||
    Government spending||-Spending||||+Spending

Now lets change this, and allow government to spend through money creation (we need to add the central bank for this); this is shown by 'Current account top-up', which would only happen when the current account hits 0 (when all tax funds have been used up):
    ||Central Bank||Gov Current Account||Revenue Account||Private sector
    Operation||Money supply||Assets||Assets||Assets
    Taxation||||||+Tax||-Tax
    Revenue to current account||||+Tax||-Tax||
    Current account top-up||+Money creation||+Money creation||||
    Government spending||||-Spending||||+Spending

Here is where the whole perspective change happens: If a government can spend through money creation (limited only by an inflation target of 2-4%) then this is equivalent to taking taxes out of the money supply itself.

This is effectively exactly the same as the previous table, you just change the operation above, 'Revenue to current account', to 'Destroy taxes' below (taking the taxed money directly out of the money supply itself):
    ||Central Bank||Gov Current Account||Revenue Account||Private sector
    Operation||Money supply||Assets||Assets||Assets
    Taxation||||||+Tax||-Tax
    Destroy taxes||-Tax||||-Tax||
    Current account top-up||+Money creation||+Money creation||||
    Government spending||||-Spending||||+Spending

So, what is the purpose of taxation, for a government with control over its own currency? :)
    Such a government does not need taxes in order to fund spending, do they? (they can always source it from money creation)

There are economic limits to this though, because you don't want to cause excessive inflation beyond 2-4%, so government can spend up to the inflation target limit; this means, that for a government with control over its own currency, taxes are used to manage inflation.

The first response to this I expect, is (rightfully enough) pointing out that currently, government can not fund itself through money creation, but this is a political restriction only, because there is no fundamental economic restriction to doing this, only political.

So if that was the case, that tax is used to manage inflation, and is not used for government funding, then it doesn't make sense anymore to say that we are funding social welfare, health services etc. with our taxes; the entire "my taxdollars pay for x, y, z; pay for wasteful public service a, b, c" line of argument becomes false, because government can always fund that regardless of taxes, you are instead paying taxes in order to prevent/reduce inflation.

If you can't frame taxes then, as supporting services x, y, z and such, then how should they be divided up? What is 'fair' and what defines the most equitable way to spread out the tax burden?

The primary purposes tax could then undertake would be:
    Disincentivizing socially harmful activity, such as pollution, fraud (something we see enormous amounts of in finance and business), destructive business activity (such as CEO pay linked to short-term rather than long-term profits, causing incentives for fraud), destructive financial speculation (causing inflation in economies, through inflating essential asset prices), among much else.

Wealth redistribution; no matter how good laws/regulations are, there are always going to be some loopholes that enrich a few before they are closed, and the dangers of the influence of wealthy individuals upon politics are well known, so taxes can also play a role in wealth redistribution, and in capping off the amount of wealth (i.e. power over society) any one person can wield (outside of elected office, in the case of power).

Controlling resources; when some resources become a scarce or endangered supply, such as trees/fish-populations, taxation can be used as a tool to disincentivize the depletion of that supply, and for other resources (such as oil), can be used as a means of moving an entire economy away from relying upon a particular resource, which may cause economic trouble through shortgages in the future, or which is harming the environment in the long-term (though taxation is a somewhat blunt tool here).

These are just a few of the primary roles taxes would then undertake, after the transition to a government that utilizes money creation; there can be yet more besides this (which don't come to mind offhand).

You can find a lot more writing on this, at sites like New Economic Perspectives.

Ah that Web of Debt blog looks interesting too; will keep an eye on that :) That is very much in-line with MMT stuff like on the above New Economic Perspectives site.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,368 Mod ✭✭✭✭andrew

Please do keep this stuff coming; I havn't had a chance to read much of it but it's interesting :)

Here is a brilliant synopsis of what MMT is, that explains it really well, in much the way I've been trying to figure out how to frame it up to now:
    http://neweconomicperspectives.org/2013/03/what-is-modern-monetary-theory-or-mmt.html

Great overview of MMT's economic views, its history, and its future significance in society and economics.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,368 Mod ✭✭✭✭andrew

ezra_pound wrote: »

C. That's two strawman posts in a row. Mods please intervene !

In case you were being completely serious, (and without making a judgement as to whether the posts were indeed strawmen), I just want to be clear that it's not the mod's job to ensure the logical consistency of the posts in this forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭moneymad

Quick question.
    Does mmt do anything about that fact that you have to invest your currency into something in order to maintain your wealth?

No, MMT would generally support a standard level of inflation (between 2-4%) in currency, which will erode its value over time, meaning you'd still have to invest it and get a return, in order to beat inflation.

One other small difference there, is that you wouldn't be able to invest in government bonds (national debt) anymore, to gain earnings on the interest, because government would not need bonds to fund itself anymore; you'd invest in the private sector instead.

No, MMT would generally support a standard level of inflation (between 2-4%) in currency, which will erode its value over time, meaning you'd still have to invest it and get a return, in order to beat inflation.
    Well I think that's not a very good system at all. More of the same.
    One other small difference there, is that you wouldn't be able to invest in government bonds (national debt) anymore, to gain earnings on the interest, because government would not need bonds to fund itself anymore; you'd invest in the private sector instead.
    How would governments fund themselves?

moneymad wrote: »
    Well I think that's not a very good system at all. More of the same.
    Well, it's a choice between inflation or deflation (the latter being a situation where the value of money increases over time), and deflation has a number of regressive negative effects:
    1: Creditors (lenders) get an unfair advantage over debtors, because the principal of the loan the debtor took out will increase in value over time, meaning the debtor has to pay back an increasing principle over time, and the compounded interest on top of that, which is very regressive.

2: The increase in value of money has to come from somewhere in a deflationary economy as well, and it is economic growth which spurs the increase in value of the currency; this increase in value will disproportionately go to the rich, to people who hoard money, which is effectively like a tax on economic growth itself, and distributed highly regressively.

So, due to this and other reasons, a small level of inflation is preferable (which is also why a gold standard is bad, because it is deflationary; Bitcoin eventually will be deflationary as well), and it also incentivizes people to put their money to productive use, in order to keep ahead of inflation.
    How would governments fund themselves?
    Governments would fund themselves directly through money creation (limited by an inflation target), and (as described in this post) would use taxes to keep within inflation targets.

Well, it's a choice between inflation or deflation
    As long as currency is used as a store of value it is no good.
    Asset inflation and consumer price inflation will still occur.
    Governments would fund themselves directly through money creation (limited by an inflation target), and (as described in this post) would use taxes to keep within inflation targets.

I've read about this sometime ago and it does sound a lot better than the system we have now where we have to issue bonds at the mercy of the bond markets.
    Tax could be drastically lowered and we would have a much better society.

I've read about this sometime ago and it does sound a lot better than the system we have now where we have to issue bonds at the mercy of the bond markets.

Thats right. MMT is such an easy solution to so many problems. Simply creating money is so much better than taxation and issuing debt.

As long as currency is used as a store of value it is no good.
    Asset inflation and consumer price inflation will still occur.
    Well, it is how national currencies are now, so it would be no different in that regard; a separate currency specifically tailored as a store of value could be setup though, but it may not be suitable for running an economy with.

Bernard Lietaer has done some good writing on multiple currencies and such, in this regard.
    Yes that guy seems to understand it well, and is much in-line with a lot of the stuff I have read on the topic; it would indeed lead to a much better society, and it would completely change a lot of politics as well, as all conservative narrative which depends upon debt scaremongering and 'my taxdollars pay for x, y, z' etc., would become obsolete overnight.

Running economies and society, would finally be discussed in terms of how to allocate resources, to the betterment of society, not constraining society based upon imaginary balance sheet restrictions :)

Debt scaremongering, inflation scare mongering and the promulgation of the notion that funds raised from tax are used to fund public spending are the three great lies of today.

The truth is a lie.
    The lie is the truth.

MMT is the truth. Reality is a lie.

Get real. Get MMT. It is truth.

I have learnt to love MMT.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Debt scaremongering, inflation scare mongering and the promulgation of the notion that funds raised from tax are used to fund public spending are the three great lies of today.

The truth is a lie.
    The lie is the truth.

MMT is the truth. Reality is a lie.

Get real. Get MMT. It is truth.

I have learnt to love MMT.

If you're going to argue against something in this forum you need to do better than satire.

• Advertisement

nesf wrote: »

If you're going to argue against something in this forum you need to do better than satire.

I have tried rational debate on the issue but, like so many others in this forum, I found that that is a pointless exercise so I have decided to try satire as a last resort when logic has failed. If that is not permitted then I give up. MMT you have indeed beaten me. Sorry for offending mods. Wont do it again.

Sorry for offending mods. Wont do it again.

Thanks.

I have tried rational debate on the issue but, like so many others in this forum, I found that that is a pointless exercise so I have decided to try satire as a last resort when logic has failed.
    Yes because you pretty much don't have any rational arguments against it (and aren't interested in trying to present any), hence your resorting to what is supposed to be 'satire'; you make clear here and elsewhere on the forum, you come into discussion over it with zero interest in actually discussing it, only in dumping on threads to derail discussion of it.

I'm happy to engage in debate on this topic, with people who are critical of it (even with people who either clearly have some personal issue, or who only hold the most specious respect for logical argument, with no actual interest in the topic other than to disparage it), but it is indeed a pointless exercise, trying to debate with someone who does not even have an argument at this stage, and is just taking a dump on a thread, for the sake of it (months after they stopped bothering posting any real arguments).

Yes because you pretty much don't have any rational arguments against it (and aren't interested in rying to present any), hence your resorting to what is supposed to be 'satire'; you make clear here and elsewhere on the forum, you come into discussion over it with zero interest in actually discussing it, only in dumping on threads to derail discussion of it.

I'm happy to engage in debate on this topic, with people who are critical of it (even with people who either clearly have some personal issue, or who only hold the most specious respect for logical argument, with no actual interest in the topic other than to disparage it), but it is indeed a pointless exercise, trying to debate with someone who does not even have an argument at this stage, and is just taking a dump on a thread, for the sake of it (months after they stopped bothering posting any real arguments).

Fair enough. Obviously we won't reach a compromise on this. Id just like to make two comments in response to this post:
    1 I'm not the only one who claims to have this experience with you. There are many of us who find any debate with you pointless and tedious.
    2 you have a habit of hijacking other debate with the same argument and degenerating lots of threads to discussions on the same topic i.e. MMT.

Anyway. Hope the satire didn't offend you
    Too much!

Fair enough. Obviously we won't reach a compromise on this. Id just like to make two comments in response to this post:
    1 I'm not the only one who claims to have this experience with you. There are many of us who find any debate with you pointless and tedious.
    2 you have a habit of hijacking other debate with the same argument and degenerating lots of threads to discussions on the same topic i.e. MMT.

Anyway. Hope the satire didn't offend you
    Too much!
    If people have a problem with the manner in which I debate, they are free to state what problems they have, and if the criticisms makes sense, I would take that on board; the posters who have the most visibly biggest problems with my posts describing MMT policies, tend to be the ones that drop into wholly specious levels of argument, and give up any effort at honest discourse (preferring to nitpick, pour scorn, and try to disparage discussion); usually it is so persistent, that it is not possible to just ignore it, and thus it leads to heavily circular arguments; that is certainly pointless and tedious.

The topic of public (government) use of money creation, is applicable to every single political/economic thread, that relates even remotely to the national debt, government spending, austerity, the economic crisis in general, and just about every discussion involving any of that.

People had a problem with me specifically mentioning MMT in support of my arguments before, but there have been no similar problems with discussing its policies instead; people are free to challenge my arguments on that topic whenever they are brought up, and nobody has presented a criticism of it that I have not provided an explanation/solution for.

My experience, is that most people are willing and interested in learning about it (and most stay understandably skeptical, which is grand), and there are a core number of posters (typically a handful of Austrian/Libertarian and comparably economically-right-wing posters) who love to disparage it and try to prevent discussion of it altogether.

David Cameron made comments a couple of weeks ago, that there is "no magic money tree", prompting the associate editor of the Financial Times, Martin Wolf (one of the most influential economic writers around), to lambast him, saying “There is a money tree. It is called the Bank of England”.

Just happened across a link to this now as well on the Positive Money site, which I found recently, where the British Chancellor George Osborne has also disagreed with Cameron in an official document, stating that it is possible to use money creation to fund government deficits:
    http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/ann-pettifor/its-official-there-is-a-m_b_2945721.html

Hopefully a sign that the idea of public use of money creation, is slowly gaining mainstream acceptance; the UK is the one country in the EU, that is most capable of implementing such policies.

KyussBishop, please don't turn this into a blog. If people aren't debating with you let the thread die a natural death.

Well, others have expressed interest in the stuff, including another mod of this forum, and have expressed desire for posts:
    andrew wrote: »
    Please do keep this stuff coming; I havn't had a chance to read much of it but it's interesting :)

I don't intend to treat it as a blog; when I (rarely) come across something particularly relevant, I provide a link describing parts of MMT better than I have, or cross-post some of my relevant posts from other parts of the forum.

Usually this stuff helps generate some discussion.

It's a discussion forum, if people aren't discussing it with you...

• Advertisement

nesf wrote: »
    It's a discussion forum, if people aren't discussing it with you...
    People do; (worthwhile) discussion has been generated, from my occasional replies providing more information, which others (including a mod) have expressed interest in.

Advertisement