Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

monitoring my bandwidth in real-time

Options
  • 21-07-2014 12:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭

Hi,
    I'm working from home and I'm looking to see how much of my bandwidth is used in real-time and then looking back selecting a date range and time of day.

I have UPC box which gives me 120Mbps wired connected and about 65Mbps on wifi, I also have a netgear range extender as I work in the shed which gives me roughly 30Mbps.

We have several devices connected like phones, a tablet and 3 laptops, so would I be able to see the utilisation from each device through their IP address?

Cheers
    G

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭Slaacer

no response ??? surely there is a solution out there ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭same ol sh1te

Slaacer wrote: »
    no response ??? surely there is a solution out there ?

You'll need to bridge the equipment you got and add a better router that does this. Not on UPC myself so can't advise on the bridging, it's been asked here a few times

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭Slaacer

right now I have the internet via the UPC horizon which gives me c120Mbps on Ethernet connection to their box - approx 60Mbps on wifi. then I use the Netgear WN2000 RPT range extender to boost my signal and get steady 30Mbps 15m from the house (in my shed where I have my office).

And I monitor the signal strenght with the Netgear app from my phone.

I'm looking to know how much of that capacity I actually use for work as use skype, webex and cloud apps to work. I thought there whould be an application that would be able to monitor my used bandwidth per device so I can isolate the IP from my work pc to get more accurate in that measurement? and this without a hardware connectivity to do that which I assume when you say bridging (sorry i'm technical to a point :-)

cheers

Advertisement