Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dental Hygiene --> Dental Science

Options
  • 02-02-2014 11:57am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5

I hope to study dental hygiene in tcd in September to hopefully progress into dental science to become a dentist. I know that it is not a clear progression from one to the other but is it possible to work your up from dental hygiene to dental science? If the answer is yes, how long approximately would it take? I would not mind studying abroad either. Does anyone have any details on this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2 dentalturkey

hmm

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭diograis

I'm not even in Trinity, but I'm a dental student and I saw this so I'm giving you my two cents. There are people (such as a classmate of mine) who go from hygiene to dentistry yes, but they are completely different qualification and one does not lead onto the other. If you want to be a dentist you must apply specifically to a dental course, IE UCC Trinity Queens, or go to Britain. It's very hard to get into, with like the highest points course in the country (apart from maybe vet or med without the HPAT).

There is also the option of going to eastern Europe, but then the teaching might not be as good, its extremely expensive and you might have problems with your qualification. I couldn't tell you more on this sorry. I would think hard about being a hygiene student if I were you, the next 2 years will be tough if you just have an idea of just doing something else, in my opinion. Best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭EoghanIRL

Diograis is right. The courses are seperate.
    In Ireland you will have to go to UCC or TCD for 5 years whether you are a dental hygienist or not.
    You will either have to repeat the lc and get approx around 590 points. This would be very competitive as there are so few spaces.
    Apply for grad entry with a degree in something else.
    Enter as a mature student.

Best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 nufacedentalclinic

Yes, it is possible to work your way up from dental hygiene to dental science and become a dentist, although the exact path may vary depending on your individual circumstances.

In general, you would need to complete a Bachelor's degree in dental hygiene and then apply for a Doctor of Dental Medicine (DMD) or Doctor of Dental Surgery (DDS) program. The exact requirements for admission to a dental school may vary, but typically include prerequisites such as biology, chemistry, and physics, as well as a competitive score on the Dental Admission Test (DAT). After completing dental school, you would need to obtain a license to practice dentistry in your state or country.

The time it takes to complete this path can vary based on your individual circumstances, such as the specific dental hygiene program you attend, your academic performance, and the length of time it takes to complete the necessary prerequisites and the dental school program. Generally, dental hygiene programs take about two years to complete, while dental school programs take about four years. In addition, you may need to complete a residency or post-graduate training program before obtaining a license to practice dentistry.

Studying abroad may also be an option, although the requirements and timeline may vary based on the specific country and dental school you attend. It's important to research the specific requirements for the programs you're interested in and to speak with academic advisors and dental professionals for more information on this career path.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 dalepediatricdentistry

This Article is Awesome

• Advertisement
Advertisement