Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Feedback Thread **READ POST #1 IN FULL**

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

Samich wrote: »
    Next time you're auld lady asks ya something like "How are you?" Answer her with "I'm fúcking ok, why the fúck do you ask?" Is that alright?

Middle aged women being offended by something does not make it indecent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,399 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

I've never understood why people go to the ****ing trouble of bypassing the swear filter. You wanna say "****", type "****". You think something is ****, type ****.

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    I've never understood why people go to the ****ing trouble of bypassing the swear filter. You wanna say "****", type "****". You think something is ****, type ****.

Because starred out words quickly become confusing and annoying. Pressing control+alt takes zero effort.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

ctrl+alt :confused:

I use the [nofilter] tag

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭Samich

Pro. F wrote: »
    Because starred out words quickly become confusing and annoying. Pressing control+alt takes zero effort.

....but the starred out words don't change the meaning of a sentence?

Think of a sentence where fúck, typed as **** changes the meaning of a sentence.

• Advertisement

Think of a sentence where fúck, typed as **** changes the meaning of a sentence.

**** you

fúck you

fúck you you fúcking fúck

maude_flanders.bmphelen-lovejoy-pic.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,399 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Confusing and annoying? :confused:

Ultimately, there should be a sitewide policy that circumventing the swear filter is bad, otherwise what is the ****ing point of same?

Pro F, why is the swear filter incorporated into boards? And don't give a smart arse answer.

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Confusing and annoying? :confused:

Ultimately, there should be a sitewide policy that circumventing the swear filter is bad, otherwise what is the ****ing point of same?
    Confusing and annoying because I want to read what a person is saying, not try and guess myself.

The swear filter is pointless. But I seriously hope the site never bans swearing.
    Pro F, why is the swear filter incorporated into boards? And don't give a smart arse answer.

You are very demanding of other people who you want to do your thinking for you. I am not amused.

• Advertisement

Confusing and annoying because I want to read what a person is saying, not try and guess myself.

The swear filter is pointless. But I seriously hope the site never bans swearing.

You are very demanding of other people who you want to do your thinking for you. I am not amused.

I'd like clarification on why there is a swear filter, what's a filter for? To stop the crappy stuff going through. If there's a swear filter, and people find a loophole then something should be done, or get rid of the the filter.

I'd like clarification on why there is a swear filter, what's a filter for? To stop the crappy stuff going through. If there's a swear filter, and people find a loophole then something should be done, or get rid of the the filter.

You'd be better off directing your concerns to a mod than demanding that I answer questions for you.

You'd be better off directing your concerns to a mod than demanding that I answer questions for you.

Eh
    Look at my first post in this thread today.

It was aimed at the mods!

And one of your posts was used as an example. You brought yourself into this!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,569 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

Yeah, I'm definitely not going to start banning people for swearing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,424 ✭✭✭Felexicon

Spot On
    Frisbee wrote: »
    Thank fcuk for that.

I'd like some "fúcking" clarification from the fúcking admins on fúcking boards as to why there's a fúcking swear fúcking filter that can be fúcking bypassed. Why have a fúcking filter at all?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 501 ✭✭✭Adolf Hipster

I'd like some "fúcking" clarification from the fúcking admins on fúcking boards as to why there's a fúcking swear fúcking filter that can be fúcking bypassed. Why have a fúcking filter at all?
    Then post in the right fcuking forum.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

What does it matter??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,898 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Some forums don't allow swearing so there's a swear filter.

Others don't mind it so people can bypass it if they like.

Quite simple really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,569 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

Legend.

As someone has already said, you'll need to go ask the admins that. Not us.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,342 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

Samich, are you actually offended by the swearing? or are you just being a bit otherwise?

because if you are offended, i don't know how you're left roam the Internet unsupervised tbh. on a list of offensive things you can find on the Internet, this has to be way down at the bottom...surely?!

and yes, there is no point in the swear filter in a lot of cases. obviously. but seen as this part of boards is here to talk about football, it's an emotive topic, and we don't want to take ALL emotion out of posting; it's absolutely fine to swear by getting around the filter in the number of ways you've seen.

if you have a real issue, take it to the admins.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Good to see the burning issues of the forum being aired.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 941 ✭✭✭yomtea98

Sean Batemans banning was unfair.He had opinions that the man united thread regular posters did not agree with and started back seat modding calling for him to be banned and that he was trolling.Why were they not banned?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,342 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

yomtea98 wrote: »
    Sean Batemans banning was unfair.He had opinions that the man united thread regular posters did not agree with and started back seat modding calling for him to be banned and that he was trolling.Why were they not banned?

people have been infracted for back seat modding in relation to moaning about posters.

but Bateman was a troll. he purposely was otherwise and rude to get a reaction.

the "don't be a díck rule" - we're trying to enforce it in a stricter fashion at the behest of the masses, and tbh, for the betterment of the forum. for better or for worse, people are just going to have to deal with it now.

we've no doubt we'll have complaints from many people in due course though if we continue being strict on it.

SlickRic wrote: »
    people have been infracted for back seat modding in relation to moaning about posters.

but Bateman was a troll. he purposely was otherwise and rude to get a reaction.

the "don't be a díck rule" - we're trying to enforce it in a stricter fashion at the behest of the masses, and tbh, for the betterment of the forum. for better or for worse, people are just going to have to deal with it now.

we've no doubt we'll have complaints from many people in due course though if we continue being strict on it.
    I don't think he was rude.He was wrong but he was not rude.He did not abuse anyone

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Too Lenient
    Agreed Slick, nearly half the people on here, according to the above vote, think the moderation is to lenient.

In this case we're damned if we do and we're damned if we dont.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

gavredking wrote: »
    Agreed Slick, nearly half the people on here, according to the above vote, think the moderation is to lenient.

In this case we're damned if we do and we're damned if we dont.

Not true. 57 from 116 people think that. Even the 116 does not come close to the amount that would use the forum.

I think the lack of other options in the poll saw a lot of people not voting. I know I did not vote because there was not an option for inconsistency.

As for what the moderation is like at present, well it is the off season and with the Premier League not on a lot of the squabbles/rows/trolling that normally goes on is not happening. A more accurate picture will be painted once the season begins (I use the EPL because the bulk of the posts on here from August onwards will be EPL related).

But for what it is worth, I think there has been a big improvement in the modding of the forum since the new mods were appointed, and the new additions - for me anyway - have forced some of the older mods (that needed to) to up their game, and have to date covered up the deficiencies of the inept mod/mods.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,424 ✭✭✭Felexicon

Spot On
    I don't think he was rude.He was wrong but he was not rude.He did not abuse anyone

Ok. So he was previously banned as punishment for what was judged to be trolling. The ban serves as his punishment. People must learn from punishment or there is no reason for it.
    When he came back into the thread and started with the same type of post that he had been banned for the MODS had no choice but to ban him again as he clearly hadn't learned anything from the original ban.
    I think it's quite good moderating as they didn't wait for it to escalate and destroy a very popular thread for 3 or 4 days

Felexicon wrote: »
    Ok. So he was previously banned as punishment for what was judged to be trolling. The ban serves as his punishment. People must learn from punishment or there is no reason for it.
    When he came back into the thread and started with the same type of post that he had been banned for the MODS had no choice but to ban him again as he clearly hadn't learned anything from the original ban.
    I think it's quite good moderating as they didn't wait for it to escalate and destroy a very popular thread for 3 or 4 days
    Destroy the thread?The amount of posts on the banning far exceeded the amount of posts had he not been banned.

• Advertisement

No, he didn't just have opinions that the regular posters disagreed with. He had opinions which were demonstrably incorrect which he repeated ad nauseam ignoring all counter arguments and proof to the opposite. At the start of last season he said that De Gea would prove to be Fergie's worst ever signing and that he thought he would have fallen out of favour and have been shipped out on loan by the end of the season (or the end of the year or something I can't remember exactly). He then comes back when all that has been proven incorrect and says he was proven 100% correct.

That type of nonsense wouldn't be so bad if it was just an occasional post, but he had a track record of filling up endless pages of the super thread with it.

Could I just get clarification on this:
    gavredking wrote: »
    He wasnt site banned becasue of an over sight on our part. Stooge ban was lifted as a result.
    Stooge is a re-reg of Sean Bateman so has Stooge been site banned now? And Sean Bateman? Sorry maybe I'm being thick, I'm just not sure what Gav means.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement