Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jacket stolen in late bar - any comeback?

Options
  • 23-10-2011 7:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭

As the title suggests some scumbag stole my jacket in a late bar last night. Can i hold the bar owner responsible? Whats the usual policy in bars & nightclubs regarding stolen clothes?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Usual policy is that they are not liable for people's clothes, not even when stored in their wardrobe.

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭celticcrash

Only if you handed it into a cloakroom and have a ticket.
    Sorry but your odds sounds very low if it was just a pub.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭fonecrusher1

What about ccvt footage? Surely there are cameras in these places?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,897 ✭✭✭MagicSean

Why would the barman be to blame? Did he make a vow of protection for your jacket or did you just toss it on a chair and wander off?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,950 ✭✭✭Milk & Honey

As the title suggests some scumbag stole my jacket in a late bar last night. Can i hold the bar owner responsible? Whats the usual policy in bars & nightclubs regarding stolen clothes?

Thanks.

You can not hold the bar owner responsible. Stay out of kips like that in future.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,857 ✭✭✭Reloc8

As you may have noticed asking a question seems to lead to being asked questions yourself which have nothing to do with your question and are designed to find out if it's all your own fault - like as if anyone normal would ever leave a jacket over a chair in a bar. I mean I park my car on the road outside my house - it's been stolen 80 times but I never claim on the insurance because it's obviously my own fault.

Anyway in answer to your question;

Can i hold the bar owner responsible?

Thanks.

No.

Reloc8 wrote: »
    As you may have noticed asking a question seems to lead to being asked questions yourself which have nothing to do with your question and are designed to find out if it's all your own fault - like as if anyone normal would ever leave a jacket over a chair in a bar. I mean I park my car on the road outside my house - it's been stolen 80 times but I never claim on the insurance because it's obviously my own fault.

Well you can't really claim if they keep bringing it back to you.

MagicSean wrote: »
    Why would the barman be to blame? Did he make a vow of protection for your jacket or did you just toss it on a chair and wander off?

Your hilarious sarcasm is thrilling.

Your hilarious sarcasm is thrilling.

As is your sense of responsability.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

stolen clothes?
    Where was the jacket? Also, if a cloakroom was in operation, did you have your ticket when you went to said cloakroom?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭mbiking123

Hello

Hope it was not an expensive jacket, but I reckon not. Bit like at the end of the night finding drink spilt on your jacket by some drunk, its not fair but what can you do. Probably a good idea to go out with a cheap jacket from Penny's, and leave your nice leather/North Face at home were it is safe

Moronic comment if ever i seen one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,857 ✭✭✭Reloc8

It is important that posters to the legal forum are reminded of this - crucial in fact. Good job.

Moronic comment if ever i seen one.

To be fair, you are trying to claim for your lost jacket from someone who had nothing to do with it. I don't really think you should be calling me moronic.
    Reloc8 wrote: »
    It is important that posters to the legal forum are reminded of this - crucial in fact. Good job.

I think so. How many threads are popping up about people looking to claim against anyone that is remotely linked to them or their incident?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,697 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Had my jacket stolen from the cloakroom of a nightclub before. it was expensive, to say i was pissed of was an understatement.

I got no redress from the establishment regardless of who i spoke to. And tbh i think the person in the cloakroom had everything to do with its loss just by the way she was so apathetic to the situation. You know when you have a feeling someone was involved.

Where did i mention a barman? Get your facts right.
    To be fair, you are trying to claim for your lost jacket from someone who had nothing to do with it. I don't really think you should be calling me moronic.

I stand by my opinion on your comment. Are you just randomnly trying to annoy people or do you actually think criticizing people seeking advice is helpful? Also where did i call you moronic?

You come across as petty to say the least.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

On topic, whether the previous respondent said barman or barowner, the same thing applies, what duty of care to your possessions did they give?

The answer is none, you are responsible for your property, unless as has already been pointed out to you, you gave the property to the bar-owner or his/her representatives for safe-keeping, from what you've said so far, that did not happen.

With regard to CCTV you can make a request under the Data Protection Act for footage of yourself but not of anyone else, so that won't help you.

Finally, I presume you've reported the matter to the Garda in the first instance?

Where did i mention a barman? Get your facts right.

It doesn't really change anything wether it was the barman, cleaner or owner.
    I stand by my opinion on your comment. Are you just randomnly trying to annoy people or do you actually think criticizing people seeking advice is helpful? Also where did i call you moronic?

You come across as petty to say the least.

You are, of course, entitled to your opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

Let's put those handbags away now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭Rezident

My jacket was also stolen on Saturday night from The Village. I know they're not liable, it's my own fault for leaving something unattended in Dublin but I was on a stag. But the way the guy in the bar knew the name of the jacket (Mammut) and commented on how expensive they are when I went looking for it (maybe he's just a Mammut expert hmmm) was suspicious.

Thanks for the suggestion to report it to the Guards, I wasn't going to bother but I will now, you never know.

Thing is, it's so distinctive, light-blue almost flourescent (like this without the hood: http://www.mammut.ch/en/productDetail/101010610_v_5268_XL/Ransom+Jacket+Men.html I got it abroad, don't exactly see many here and I walk past there twice a day for work, I will notice if I see someone wearing it, what can I do then, legally? Can I take it back, if they can't answer where it was bought abroad?

Also, any idea what happens to similar highly-visible stolen goods in Dublin? I'm checking ebay.

Any advice greatly appreciated, I don't normally care about clothes but I really liked that jacket.

• Advertisement

Rezident wrote: »
    My jacket was also stolen on Saturday night from The Village. I know they're not liable, it's my own fault for leaving something unattended in Dublin but I was on a stag. But the way the guy in the bar knew the name of the jacket (Mammut) and commented on how expensive they are when I went looking for it (maybe he's just a Mammut expert hmmm) was suspicious.

Thanks for the suggestion to report it to the Guards, I wasn't going to bother but I will now, you never know.

Thing is, it's so distinctive, light-blue almost flourescent (like this without the hood: http://www.mammut.ch/en/productDetail/101010610_v_5268_XL/Ransom+Jacket+Men.html I got it abroad, don't exactly see many here and I walk past there twice a day for work, I will notice if I see someone wearing it, what can I do then, legally? Can I take it back, if they can't answer where it was bought abroad?

Also, any idea what happens to similar highly-visible stolen goods in Dublin? I'm checking ebay.

Any advice greatly appreciated, I don't normally care about clothes but I really liked that jacket.

Done Deal

• Registered Users Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭Rezident

Done Deal

Cheers!

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭Son_of_Belial

I've had many a good jacket stolen on me. These days I won't go out in one I think anything of unless I know there is a ticketed cloakroom where I'm going. I tend to buy cheap ones in Penneys for €20 - €40 a pop so it either doesn't get pinched or if it does it's no big loss

• Registered Users Posts: 2,744 ✭✭✭marieholmfan

The owner will be liable if the coat was stolen by an employee on the premises as part of their employment. Of course theft does not form part of their employment but google that English case about the bouncer.

Other users of the late bar are licensees of the owner and theft is unlikely to form part of their license. If for example the owner knows that X is a kleptomaniac but does not exclude him for the premises could the owner be liable then?

There is some English case law where Lord Denning said that if you accept goods for reward you can't evade that duty if your servant is the one who steals them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭Chattastrophe!

In fairness, it was three years ago, I reckon he's probably gotten over his loss by now! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,542 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

In fairness, it was three years ago, I reckon he's probably gotten over his loss by now! ;)

There are some things one can never recover from.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

I've had many a good jacket stolen on me. These days I won't go out in one I think anything of unless I know there is a ticketed cloakroom where I'm going. I tend to buy cheap ones in Penneys for €20 - €40 a pop so it either doesn't get pinched or if it does it's no big loss
    Is there a reason you bumped a 3 year old thread to say effectively nothing of legal merit or interest?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,737 ✭✭✭Bepolite

So very drunk the other night, left the coat down - left the club, remembered had to wait until everyone had left to go back in and get it. Not touched by a soul...

There's at least one good reason to wear a bright red anorak.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,744 ✭✭✭marieholmfan

Perhaps the next edition of McMahon and Binchy will carry a reference to his coat! Felt a bit of a twit when I saw the date alright!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭billy few mates

A few years ago when I was working abroad I left a really nice Timberland jumper in a bar/nightclub I used to frequent. The following day I gave them a ring to see if anyone had handed it in, they said they'd call me back and despite a few phone calls back and forth no one ever got back to me so one day I decided to call in in person to see if anyone had handed it in. It was early evening and the bar staff were just setting up for the night so as I approached one of them he asked me if he could help me. Yes I replied, I'm here to collect that jumper you're wearing...! :rolleyes:
    He went bright red and immediately apologised saying he'd just found it out the back and had just stuck it on for a few minutes until the place warmed up etc, he then removed it and handed it to me.:D
    My advice in this situation would be to call back in person, ask to speak to the manager and let them no in clear terms you're looking for your property back, in a lot of these places the lost and found can quickly become the property of the staff if they think no ones going to come looking for it...

Advertisement