Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Newfoundland and Furminator Tool

Options
  • 08-01-2011 1:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭

My 5 month old newfoundland is shedding for the first time and there is hair everywhere, i even found one inside a boiled egg yesterday!! does anyone know if the furminator grooming tool is any good, some people think it hurts the dog or damages the hair, does it matter that the newfoundland has two coats. cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

It is a great tool, but not sure if it would suit a Newfie as it could damage the coat.
    Are you thinking of showing your newfie? If so you need to be very careful what products and combs you use on the coat as coat is hugely important when showing newfies.
    Sounds like your pup is losing its puppy coat which can take a while to come through.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

I use a grooming rake for the huskies, and find it great.

I got a double toothed one, that is on a spring, so that the teeth move in and out.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,973 ✭✭✭Chris_Heilong

The furminator is a great tool for removing dead undercoat, it is not a brush more a fur remover and works fine on double coated breeds but the key is to do it gently as most people see the demo vids online and see the professionals wizzing trough it and all the undercoat flying everywhere and think it looks like you just go mad but it needs to be gentle for both the dog and his coats sake.

Here is a video with a large double coated breed similar to a Newfoundland.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XxqFWpSjRF8

• Registered Users Posts: 14,024 ✭✭✭✭tk123

I use one on our retriever and find it brilliant. He loves it too lol :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,515 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

my colllie x loves it especially during the summer when its hot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Officer Giggles

just got a demo of the tool in the pet shop and it did some job on Fred in 30 seconds with e few light rubs, amazon here i come

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

just got a demo of the tool in the pet shop and it did some job on Fred in 30 seconds with e few light rubs, amazon here i come

You should buy it off ebay, its much cheaper on there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Officer Giggles

will do cheers

Advertisement