Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

General Science to Theoretical Physics

Options
  • 03-09-2015 11:40am
    Registered Users Posts: 27

Hello, I'm a new student going into general science this year. The modules I plan to choose are physics, biology and maths for both semesters, as I'm unsure whether I'd like to go into physics or zoology as of yet. I received enough points that I could have had theoretical physics as my first choice and gotten it comfortably. I am posting here to question how difficult it is to switch from general science to theoretical physics in say, second or third year, should that be the path I choose to take. I am very good at maths and physics and expect to receive firsts in those modules. I'm aware it's relatively easy to switch from TP to general science, but haven't heard much about the reverse. Thanks in advance for any advice.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭dabh

If you want to transfer from TR071 Science to Theoretical Physics, have the points, and satisfy the entrance requirement, then you should apply to do so in the first few weeks of first year. Contact your College tutor. There are some differences between the Physics that is taught in general Science and the physics that is taught to Theoretical Physics students.

But when it comes to mathematics, the Theoretical Physics students take modules in common with students of single-honor Mathematics and TSM Mathematics. Those doing general Science take a different set of mathematics modules that do not prepare students for the 3rd and 4th year modules that Theoretical Physics students take. Therefore, unless transfers are made in the first few weeks of the first year, it is not feasible to transfer from TR071 Science to Theoretical Physics without going back to the beginning of the Theoretical Physics course.

On the other hand, transfers from Theoretical Physics to the Physics courses entered through TR071 do happen.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,446 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

dabh is correct, completely different ball game when looking at TP compared to general science physics.

Get onto your college tutor as soon as you are in the door and ask about switching over. They are typically very helpful and on the basis you met the minimum requirements, it should not be a major obstacle.

Might be worth talking to someone in TP if you can arrange it to make sure its what you want to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 ididthemathtom

Thank you both for your advice. Due to the difficulty involved in switching and the fact I'm not positive on biology vs physics I think I'll stick with general science (I wasn't saying I definitely wanted to switch to TP, just wanted to know how difficult it would be if I wanted that route). I do plan to post grad anyway, and I doubt it'd matter an awful lot for many PhD topics whether my degree is in physics or theoretical physics. Thanks again for the help.

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭Evan93

TP does give a more comprehensive mathematical background, and when applying for postgrad options this can have an effect, especially for the more TP-ey areas (high energy, AdS/CFT, some areas of CMT).

It's hard to tell, but bear this in mind. If you are still unsure, a chat with your tutor would be very helpful.

(FYI just finished TP)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 367 ✭✭qweerty

The differences between the physics modules in the two is minimal. In effect, the only thing Physics through Science has over TP is a more substantial project. But, TP, in the form of far more involved maths, has a lot over it.

Unless you want Chem/Bio, do TP, because it's possible to switch back to Science (or to pure maths) but not the other way around.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,446 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Which one you take can and probably will strongly dictate what postgrads or jobs are available to you after graduation. Their might be a bit of middle ground but one or the other will rule out alot of courses for you.

TP is very math heavy, and not the sort of math you will have encountered through your LC. My memory is that alot of the people who started either had an interest and therefore had done alot of background reading before or you bust your ass getting up to a high enough level.

I done Pure Math for the first semester and while I got by, and was genuinely interested, it made me realise that it was not for me career wise, more as background reading. I went onto start again general science and go the Biochem route. If you do TP for the first semester, it is not impossible to go back to general science, but my own opinion would be that it would be incredibly difficult to do it the other way around. That said, the modules weren't for me and others would not find that as difficult. One of the modules, mainly the matrices stuff and Peanos axioms made the math module in general science a joke. Most of it was basic anyway but the slightly more complicated, higher than LC standard stuff was a doodle after the first semester in math/TP modules.

Advertisement