Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Irish Game

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 956 ✭✭✭Arrow in the Knee

If the game is over as a contest, perfect time to get the kicker some in game experience

I thought nobody likes kickers or is that just me.
    The kicker would gain at least 5 seconds of game time if he's lucky and if he's unlucky then he'll be face first in the muck and blaming the blockers and snapper.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,640 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

same as any kicker, he should be looking for those 5 seconds... he can make an impact

• Closed Accounts Posts: 929 ✭✭✭JCTO

I thought nobody likes kickers or is that just me.
    The kicker would gain at least 5 seconds of game time if he's lucky and if he's unlucky then he'll be face first in the muck and blaming the blockers and snapper.

Plenty of teams in the IAFL across the various leagues have kickers many of which play more than one position. The Panthers kicker was also their QB this year and a WR also. The Rebels have a kicker also. When I was home they used him in their win over the Panthers.

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭Lothaar v2

Also going for 2 points and getting 50% of them is better that a 1 pointer and getting that maybe 75% of the time.

This is the reason.

When the game is in the bag, we're not doing it to run up a score. We need to rep 2-pt conversions so we get better at them. We're just playing our normal game, not looking for more points.

We do have a kicking game and we've kicked a couple of FGs this season. But we feel that we can net more points on conversions from going for two than from kicking PATs.

On the earlier comments about long-snapping and kicking... it's not just about the snapper and the kicker. The whole *play* has to be executed well, especially vs teams with a good FG block unit. Blocking needs to be good and the snap-hold-kick needs to be crisp. There's lots of moving parts beyond the accuracy of one guy's leg.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,036 ✭✭✭Guffy

Hello all,

The Galway Warriors are currently looking for applicants for the position of head coach as well as positional coaches.

If anyone is interested in applying for these positions, get in contact either here via pm, via facebook or via email galwaywarriorsfootball@gmail.com

If you require any additional information please feel free to contact me.

John Griffin
    Chairman
    Galway Warriors

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8 Doctor Moose

Hi All,

I'm looking to get involved in playing AF in Dublin and I'm wondering if anyone can recommend a team who accept beginners. I'm 23 and have only played the game casually with friends a couple of times, but really enjoyed it.

I'm only 5'10" at 160 pounds and probably won't be much good at the start, but I'm willing to work hard to get better. I'm located north of Pheonix Park so a club anywhere northside would be good.

Cheers!

Hi All,

I'm looking to get involved in playing AF in Dublin and I'm wondering if anyone can recommend a team who accept beginners. I'm 23 and have only played the game casually with friends a couple of times, but really enjoyed it.

I'm only 5'10" at 160 pounds and probably won't be much good at the start, but I'm willing to work hard to get better. I'm located north of Pheonix Park so a club anywhere northside would be good.

Cheers!

Check out the north dublin pirates on fb. They are just starting up but seem to have some very good coaches. Be a good spot to get ur feet wet

• Registered Users Posts: 39 EJ88

gufc21 wrote: »
    Check out the north dublin pirates on fb. They are just starting up but seem to have some very good coaches. Be a good spot to get ur feet wet

I agree. Good guys to go to. Think the same guys who ran Drogheda Lightening a few years back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 95 ✭✭onetimecypher

Dublin Panthers Open day tomorrow, Sunday 4th Oct in Westmanstown Garda Club at 2pm

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Crisis56

Just wondering, is there anyone from the Kerry/West Limerick area looking to play American Football?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭YungKeo

Are there any clubs in Tipperary? If not, I would be interested in starting one up if there is anyone else here interested.

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭TTWNF

Hey,

I'm a sport photographer who is looking to add some American Football shots to my sports portfolio .... i'd be interested in shooting for a club based in Dublin (i'm from Limerick but live in Cabra).

Is there any club who would like me to shoot a game for them?

Here is my sports portfolio http://www.tombearyphotography.com/sport

Thanks
    Tom

• Registered Users Posts: 950 ✭✭✭nasty_crash

There is loads of clubs in dublin - Rhinos, Panthers, UCD, Trinity, Rebels - if you go to www.americanfootball.ie - that has all the teams in ireland and has contact details - you also have north kildare reapers and south kildare soldiers not too far from dublin too

Pirates also kicking off their league season in Iafa2. I'm sure they would ve delighted with a partnership

• Registered Users Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭double GG

Well the IAFL Bowl games are upon us!

Tomorrow in Tallaght Stadium it's the Shamrock Bowl where the reigning champs, Belfast Trojans face the Dublin Rebels.

In the IAFL1, the Belfast Trojan's 2nd team will face off against the Cork Admirals in CIT next Sunday 14th August.

And the IAFL2 Bowl game sees the Donegal Derry Vipers clash with IAFL Rookies, the Wexford Eagles in Westmanstown RFC in Dublin on the 28th August.

Anyone know how team ireland got on tonight? I know they were 20-0 down at one stage. Maybe half time?

• Registered Users Posts: 835 ✭✭✭kingcobra

Anyone know how team ireland got on tonight? I know they were 20-0 down at one stage. Maybe half time?

Game was called off during 3rd or 4th quarter due to lightning so score stood at 20-0. Check out the IAFA Facebook page for details.

kingcobra wrote: »
    Game was called off during 3rd or 4th quarter due to lightning so score stood at 20-0. Check out the IAFA Facebook page for details.

Ya spotted it this morning, cheers.

Derry/Donegal vipers won the IAFL 2 bowl game today against the Wexford Eagles. Came from 29-26 down to win 33-29 with 26 secs left. Looked like a humdinger based on scoring.

Christ they are going to be insufferable across social media.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,744 ✭✭✭raze_them_all_

Ya spotted it this morning, cheers.

Derry/Donegal vipers won the IAFL 2 bowl game today against the Wexford Eagles. Came from 29-26 down to win 33-29 with 26 secs left. Looked like a humdinger based on scoring.

Christ they are going to be insufferable across social media.

Irish team is loud across social media to attract sponsors, live up to commitments to others sponsors and this is a problem?

Also we can be, 7-0

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,824 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

Irish team is loud across social media to attract sponsors, live up to commitments to others sponsors and this is a problem?

Also we can be, 7-0
    You really proved him wrong 😉

You really proved him wrong 😉

Don't care he's the one bitching on social media.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,632 ✭✭✭nerd69

fair dues to them they've done a great job raising the profile of the club and have been promoted after going undefeated. good on them I say if they keep going as they are they could eventually be a serious team in the top flight I just hope they can keep going as they are and not hit a snag as the titans unfortunately did

nerd69 wrote: »
    fair dues to them they've done a great job raising the profile of the club and have been promoted after going undefeated. good on them I say if they keep going as they are they could eventually be a serious team in the top flight I just hope they can keep going as they are and not hit a snag as the titans unfortunately did

aye we got lucky that some titans players came to us this off season and really raised the game we play up

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

Don't care he's the one bitching on social media.

Im sorry, Where was i bitching.

I reported the score of the game and sarcastically mentioned how it will be in the news feed of social media's for a long time. Which it is. I didnt say anything else good, bad or indifferent about either team.

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭Paladonia

Does anyone in here play for a team in Ireland?

I'd be interested to hear what the standard is like, what position you play, if you had any experience when you joined, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 Colohall

From the Vipers facebook page:

"Viper Elf: Hey Buff, how was your holiday in Galway?
    Buff: Aye it was BRILLIANT... but...
    Viper Elf: But what?
    Buff: But, it's the only time I've been to Galway and won't come home with the WIN...
    Together: Hahaha
    #ViperBants"

Now, I've no problem with any team promoting themselves on social media but when they use a lads personal holiday as a way of forcing a dig in, you can understand why it wouldn't sit well with everyone.

I wasn't ever going to bring it up because we know the lad who posted it and have no doubt that he meant no offense by it. Banter is grand, and I mostly laughed it off, but at the same time, throwing digs like that around like that weeks after we played the game, is always going to annoy some people

• Registered Users Posts: 10,824 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

Colohall wrote: »
    From the Vipers facebook page:

"Viper Elf: Hey Buff, how was your holiday in Galway?
    Buff: Aye it was BRILLIANT... but...
    Viper Elf: But what?
    Buff: But, it's the only time I've been to Galway and won't come home with the WIN...
    Together: Hahaha
    #ViperBants"

Now, I've no problem with any team promoting themselves on social media but when they use a lads personal holiday as a way of forcing a dig in, you can understand why it wouldn't sit well with everyone.

I wasn't ever going to bring it up because we know the lad who posted it and have no doubt that he meant no offense by it. Banter is grand, and I mostly laughed it off, but at the same time, throwing digs like that around like that weeks after we played the game, is always going to annoy some people

I don't understand, did it bother you or not?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35 Colohall

Not really, but mostly because I know the guy who posted it. But i can understand if it did annoy anyone else.

Advertisement