Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bone builder for pups

Options
  • 19-01-2011 7:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 756 ✭✭✭

Hi,

A while back a friend of mine had a littler of pups. She gave them all bone builder powder mixed into their food. The thing is, from reading up on pups I know you need to be careful that you dont exercise them too much and need to make sure their food is right so they dont develop any problems.

So is using the bone builder good or bad idea?

This is the stuff she used.

http://www.beaphar.co.uk/productdetail/bone-builder/1825/

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Im not sure exactly what the product does, but if its what it says on the tin, you cant improve on bone once a pup is born, they either have it or they lack it. You cant improve on bone, only condition, muscle, fat etc but not bone.

Id be very wary of adding anything that is supposed to improve bone and what affect it would have on the pups.
    Once they are on a good weaning puppy food it should be more than enough for them.
    Some people like to feed some scrambled egg, mince etc but i wouldnt go adding anything like that supplement you are talking about.

No pup should be over exercised until they are fully grown and even more so larger breeds as they take a long time to mature.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,710 ✭✭✭lrushe

If you are feeding a good balanced diet there is no need to add supplements such as those in your link. In fact too much calcium in a dogs diet can cause bone defects especially in large breed pups. Also calcium alone will not increase bone strength as calcium is one of those minerals that needs help being absorbed into the body, in the case of calcium it would be vitamin D.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,620 ✭✭✭sligopark

what does improve on bone mean? Can't humans improve bone quality through walking and supplementation? if so, can't dogs?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 6,935 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

I know that I took my sister's rescue pup to the vet and one of things she said was that her bones were very soft because of poor diet and milk was the culprit. She wasn't able to make her back legs work very well :(. Vet said she should just be put on a proper diet and not to bother with any 'supplements'. Wish I had videoed her playing with my dog on Sunday so you could see what she's like now :D

sligopark wrote: »
    what does improve on bone mean? Can't humans improve bone quality through walking and supplementation? if so, can't dogs?

Depends if they mean improve bone quality or bone size. You cant improve on bone size, as i said, if a dog is light of bone, nothing you do will increase the bone if you get me.

Bone quality is different, im sure you can help the bone quality by feeding supplements.

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Shanao

What breed of pups are they? If they're large breeds, then its a definate no- too much calcium and phosphorous can actually cause their bones to grow too fast, the wrong shape and can lead to osteochondrosis. They shouldn't need supplements anyway, good quality puppy food will give them everything they need.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭fifib

is it ok to feed puppy some milk? our little lady likes a bit through her food(Beta Puppy brand). its not alot, say the amount you'd put in your tea, just to wet it! is this ok? they did it for her in the shelter we got her from so we just kept doing it. shes 5months (daschund x terrier)

fifib wrote: »
    is it ok to feed puppy some milk? our little lady likes a bit through her food(Beta Puppy brand). its not alot, say the amount you'd put in your tea, just to wet it! is this ok? they did it for her in the shelter we got her from so we just kept doing it. shes 5months (daschund x terrier)

No, you shouldnt feed a dog milk as they are lactose intolerant and it can upset their tummy, so its best not to feed it to her.
    I would wet it with warm water instead as this will moisten the food for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 756 ✭✭✭liger

Thanks folks,

It was something that i had wondered about and it didnt seem to fit with everything i have read about feeding your pup. But the bone builder thing is available in most pet shops so i thought i'd ask. Thanks again.

Advertisement