Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rescued kitten

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭Netanya

So the introduction is not going as well as I had hoped. After several days of the two cats sniffing each other under the door and one moment where sandy came into a room accidentally and froze when he saw her before being herded back out by my OH. We thought on Monday we would begin by putting Belle in her cat carrier and putting her in the same room as him for 5 or 10 minutes.

Even though he was sleeping when we put her in the room he was up and walking around the carrier very promptly. Then he started pawing through the cage. She cowered in the back and wouldn't go near him. The next day we let them touch noses through the crack of a door, he went into a defensive crouch and pawed her through the crack. When she playfully lifted her paw (didn't even reach for him) he went into ears back hissing mode and ran away....not good. Then when I came back from putting her in her room and sat down he jumped up on my knee settled for a sec then sniffed me. Realised he could smell her and jumped up hissing and spiting and ran away again. Double damn!

This morning we had a house guest who left the door to the room she was in ajar by accident. Sandy came bounding up the stairs as she sleepily wondered out and came looking for me. She was totally uninterested in him and was just looking for humans. Second he saw her he went into a crouch again, hissed and ran away.

I don't want to push him and I know he needs to establish his dominance but in all honesty if he can't even be in a room with her without running away that's not going to happen for a while. We already have had trouble with him where he used to attack me all the time and corner me etc but after changing his food and my doing some cat behavioural things to establish that I was the boss and not him he totally settled. Even becoming a bit tubby and wanting to cuddle (which he never did before).

I'm going to go back to the sniffing under a door stage again and work from there. Also we did put him in her room for a while on monday too...he tried to climb out the window and was clawing at the door to get out. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭Heroditas

It'll take a while for them to fully tolerate each other.
    Our two have finally accepted the stray who adopted us back in September. Granted, they have all only been in the house together for about 5 weeks but there are rarely any fights bar the occasional crafty swipe with a paw and some chasing.
    Have patience. In the end, they all finally accepted each other when they were fed at the same time. I think the first two realised the newbie wasn't a threat if they all ate together.

163414_1760569295090_1264774843_31951882_5497499_n.jpg

Merry Christmas to Everyone who posted about Belle and all the people who were trying to help her over the last few weeks. This is the Lady herself very unsure as to whether she's really digging this whole Christmas malarkey.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,264 ✭✭✭✭Alicat

Give them time, it took my two ages to settle with each other. Just let them do it in their own time :) No point in trying to force them together.

Delighted you were so kind to take her in, well done :)

quick update; had a great Christmas she's gotten a bit bigger and bolder. Having a little issue the vet is looking at due to her coughing everynow and then. Could be hairballs because she's excessively grooming (apparently cats who have been abandoned can do this as a psycological reaction, like a self comfort thing) or could be asthma. We're trying the hairball treatment first if that doesn't fix the problem we'll have to test for asthma.

We went and got spayed today. Nothing like a groggy half bald kitten trying to follow you even when she can barely stand to make you feel like an evil person. "I love you even if you do give me to mean people so they can poke me with needles and remove my organs." That's what she's saying.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 6,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

How is she getting on with your other cat now OP?

Not well at all. We still can't get him to put up with her. They'll eat food in seperate bowls near each other but the second the meal is over he starts growling, yowling and getting super aggressive. She doesn't know what to do and is starting to get angry back after 2 weeks of a bad reaction. We can't have them in the same room and if he smells her he's gotten so aggressive he'll actually attack us. Gave my other half a nasty cut on his face.
    As the dominant cat I know he wants to be sure of his place and we are trying to do that by lavishing attention on him etc. But he's demanding to be let out the second he hears her meow or smells her. After doing everything by the book I don't know what to do.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 6,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

That's such a pity, she'd probably be great company for him if he would relax a bit. I've never had cats so can't really give you any advice on that front unfortunately :(

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭Bubs99

I love the christmas photo of Belle, how sweet.
    Im so sorry to hear about your cat not accepting her. Like what was said already, Im not 100% familiar with cats and their behaviour, Im a dog person, so I cant give you any tips Im afraid. Keep trying what you're doing and lets hope for the best.
    Im just relieved shes still not out under the cars in the frost any more.

My stray cats missed me alot over Christmas (I was away), delighted to see me and give them their regular meals again, yes, they still hunt for birds and mice (found a few bird corpses and feathers). Thats the circle of life!

Good luck with Belle and good on you!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,576 ✭✭✭Coeurdepirate

I read through this thread and it's so nice to read from when the vet didn't know if she'd make it to now, when she's a healthy and happy kitten. :D It's a pity about the other cat not accepting her, but hopefully he will with time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭muppet_man

Netanya wrote: »
    After doing everything by the book I don't know what to do.

Maybe one of those plug-in cat diffusers might relax the dominant cat.
    Never used them myself so can't say how well they work, I'm sure others on here have.

Hi, I was on the same street as Belle used to stay on yesterday when I saw another little stray/feral kitten. He/she was gorgeous, a jet black fluffy one with bright green eyes, still has fluffy coat and he/she was very small, so Id say they're only 3mths.

This kitten was way more shyer then Belle though. Belle would come up to you but the black one I saw last night looked at me and ran under the parked cars. The black kitten didnt have a collar so I doubt its lost, id say they're feral.

I was going to give them some scraps of meat I had but they just ran, I dont know what to do. I hate seeing the poor little cutie out in the cold alone.
    I tried my best with Belle, I asked the local vets for a cat trap (said they had none) and I rang the KSPCA and another friend who neuters ferals and lets them go again (only does it in Dublin). KSPCA never answered or replied ever!!!

Any suggestions?

How about Last Hope they have a kitten cottage in Meath. And seeming as that is the Meath side of Kilcock they might actually help? I'll try and call them now and post if they are willing to come out so you can get in touch and meet with them when they do.

Hi Netanya,

Thank you for replying. Ive went on to the website and got Maires number (the lady in charge of the kitten/cat rescue).

I have'nt seen the black kitten since the other night so i thought the best thing I can do is...the next time I do see the kitten, i ring LAST HOPE straight away. This kitten isn't as tame as belle was/is.

Thanks for telling me about LAST HOPE. Ive heard of them but did'nt realise they were so near.

Thank you.

Advertisement