Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Max distance from exchange before I cant get Fibre Broadband

• 10-06-2015 12:49pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,049 ✭✭✭

Apologies if this has been asked before but is there a max distance from a fibre enabled exchange before it becomes impossible to get fibre broadband?

My exchange is been enabled next month (according to Eircom) but I am approx 2 km from the exchange (as the crow flies). Have I any chance of getting increased speeds?

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,072 ✭✭✭mass_debater

gazzer wrote: »
    Apologies if this has been asked before but is there a max distance from a fibre enabled exchange before it becomes impossible to get fibre broadband?

My exchange is been enabled next month (according to Eircom) but I am approx 2 km from the exchange (as the crow flies). Have I any chance of getting increased speeds?

Thanks

1800m is the max for eVDSL

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,049 ✭✭✭gazzer

1800m is the max for eVDSL

Ah b@lls. Looks like I will be stuck with my 2MB speed so. :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Ah b@lls. Looks like I will be stuck with my 2MB speed so. :mad:

If you're 2KM from the exchange itself then you can get a lot more now. At least 12Mb ADSL. Once the exchange goes live for NGA ask your provider to change your bundle upwards.

If its 2km from you to a cab, then you're boned.

ED E wrote: »
    If you're 2KM from the exchange itself then you can get a lot more now. At least 12Mb ADSL. Once the exchange goes live for NGA ask your provider to change your bundle upwards.

If its 2km from you to a cab, then you're boned.

As far as I now it is the exchange I am 2km from. I am going by the map on the Eircom site. Is there a website that shows the cabinets AND the exchanges?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,074 ✭✭✭ItHurtsWhenIP

As far as I now it is the exchange I am 2km from. I am going by the map on the Eircom site. Is there a website that shows the cabinets AND the exchanges?

Yep there sure is ... http://fibrerollout.ie/where-and-when/

• Advertisement

MMFITWGDV wrote: »

Thanks for that link. Im presuming I wont get fibre broadband so as it looks like what I thought was an exchange is actually a cabinet (KEK1_E01) and I am about 2KM away.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,210 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Similar question...

The exchange that I'm connected to is planned to be upgraded to Fibre.

Currently the exchange only has 8Mb of backhaul and I'm profiled at 3Mb but rarely get even close to that...

I'm ~4Km from the exchange , so I know I'm not going to get Fibre, but can I expect to be able to get better speeds given that the back-haul will obviously be greatly increased to the exchange etc.

Also , the actual technology in the exchange will be upgraded too.

So what kind of speeds might be realistic post Fibre upgrade at the exchange?

Thanks in advance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,497 ✭✭✭✭guil

Thanks for that link. Im presuming I wont get fibre broadband so as it looks like what I thought was an exchange is actually a cabinet (KEK1_E01) and I am about 2KM away.

As far as I know E01 means it's the exchange. Cabs are just numbered.

guil wrote: »
    As far as I know E01 means it's the exchange. Cabs are just numbered.

Oh right. Thanks for that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,252 ✭✭✭Sterling Archer

http://www.irelandoffline.org/map/ list all exchanges and cabs.. We use it at work a lot... also call your provider and ask them.. A simple line check will give them an exact number..

• Advertisement

Shane_ef wrote: »
    Www.Irelandoffline.org/map list all exchanges and cabs.. We use it at work a lot... also call your provider and ask them.. A simple line check will give them an exact number..

You would think so but I rang Vodafone ages ago to query what can I was connected to and he hadn't a clue. Told me I was connected to a cab twice as far away from me. I spoke to an eircom tech on the road and he told me I was DF.

You would think so but I rang Vodafone ages ago to query what can I was connected to and he hadn't a clue. Told me I was connected to a cab twice as far away from me. I spoke to an eircom tech on the road and he told me I was DF.

Really, ah well I guess it can be down to who you get talking to ... it's fairly easy to work out.. all you need is the capacitance number for of the line

Is that the 888 number?

Is that the 888 number?

No the 888 number is line number like a landline number... a capacitance number will be 0.xxx it's used to work out distance and help with trouble shooting... any line test run on a Landline or Fibre line will have that number... if you call up your supplier and ask them to run a line test and the work out your distance from the cab/ exchange they should do it...

Is that the 888 number?

No that's your crn, a fake phone number.

http://www.irelandoffline.org/map/ list all exchanges and cabs.. We use it at work a lot... also call your provider and ask them.. A simple line check will give them an exact number..

Thanks for that link. I had a look at that link and found my nearest exchange and I was wondering if somebody could explain what the circle bit in the attached image and the expanded grey area means? Is the area within the circle the only part that can get Fibre Broadband? Where I live is highlighted with a black arrow.

Thanks

Not the clearest of screenshots, but guestimating:

cXNLu2J.png

Thats probably 2-3km worth of cable when you count for how it will follow roads.

Its a reach node currently, meaning a slow old radio connection. Wait till it gets fibre and you'll be able to get 12Mb+ on ADSL2+, but you wont get eFibre.

Not the clearest of screenshots, but guestimating:

cXNLu2J.png

Thats probably 2-3km worth of cable when you count for how it will follow roads.

Its a reach node currently, meaning a slow old radio connection. Wait till it gets fibre and you'll be able to get 12Mb+ on ADSL2+, but you wont get eFibre.

Thanks a million for the reply. I could live with a 10 or 12MB connection. Anything has to be better than my current 2MB connection.

Thanks for that link. I had a look at that link and found my nearest exchange and I was wondering if somebody could explain what the circle bit in the attached image and the expanded grey area means? Is the area within the circle the only part that can get Fibre Broadband? Where I live is highlighted with a black arrow.

Thanks

In relation to the grey circle it just shows that you've highlighted the Exh/Cab
    The greater grey area is the area the exchange covers...

Also a rough way the calculate your distance from the exchange is to calculate how far of a drive it is to the exchange, now this is a rough as the line may not run the way you drive.

@ED_E, so if an exchange has NO xDSL of any type now, but will get eVDSL in early 2016, those people beyond the 1.5/1.8KM (whatever it is) limit will be able to get ADSL2+ service?

I know my exchange has fibre to it already, but there are no DSLAMs housed in it. It is scheduled for eFibre Jan-Jun 2016. My line is a whisker over 2KM from it - so could I get something like 12Mbps from it?

Please say yes! Please say yes! Please say yes! Please say yes! Please say yes! :D

It's make my transition to FTTH in 2021 so much easier to bear. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

In relation to the grey circle it just shows that you've highlighted the Exh/Cab
    The greater grey area is the area the exchange covers...

Also a rough way the calculate your distance from the exchange is to calculate how far of a drive it is to the exchange, now this is a rough as the line may not run the way you drive.

I actually did just that earlier on today. It is 4.1KM from my door to the cabinet. I went the direction of the telephone poles to make sure I was calculating correctly.

@ED_E, so if an exchange has NO xDSL of any type now, but will get eVDSL in early 2016, those people beyond the 1.5/1.8KM (whatever it is) limit will be able to get ADSL2+ service?

I know my exchange has fibre to it already, but there are no DSLAMs housed in it. It is scheduled for eFibre Jan-Jun 2016. My line is a whisker over 2KM from it - so could I get something like 12Mbps from it?

Please say yes! Please say yes! Please say yes! Please say yes! Please say yes! :D

It's make my transition to FTTH in 2021 so much easier to bear. :rolleyes:

Oh that I dont know. Thats a rare situation. I would assume they would fit some old ADSL racks while theyre at it, only makes sense as they have loads spare now that VDSL is taking all the customers off them in other areas.

Oh that I dont know. Thats a rare situation. I would assume they would fit some old ADSL racks while theyre at it, only makes sense as they have loads spare now that VDSL is taking all the customers off them in other areas.

Thanks. Time to talk to my friendly linesman about "acquiring" an ADSL2+ DSLAM from the recycling pile when they bring the VDSL DSLAM to the exchange ... you know ... to keep it company and the like!!! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

That's an interesting case. No ADSL but VDSL coming in the next year or so...

MMFITWGDV, can you remind me is your exchange on the eircom FTTH list?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,679 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

MMFITWGDV, can you remind me is your exchange on the eircom FTTH list?

His exchange, Rearcross - N. Tipp, isn't on the FTTH list.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

The Cush wrote: »
    His exchange, Rearcross - N. Tipp, isn't on the FTTH list.
    And Rossoulty is... They must have already paid for the VDSL equipment to be used. I can't figure how smaller exchanges with no broadband are getting FTTH ahead of larger exchanges with no broadband, that are getting just VDSL (and hopefully ADSL!!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭gunnerfitzy

Hope the OP doesn't mind me hopping on board the thread but I'm in a somewhat similar situation and would like to know where I stand for broadband speed in the near future.

I live approx 2.5km as the crow flies or approx 3km by road from my exchange - Whitegate, Co Cork. WGT1_E01 . This exchange is indicated as due to go live in June 15 however Eircom has mentioned to be that this will be delayed somewhat - nothing more precise than that.

I am significantly outside the 'blue' area on the broadband.gov.ie map. It appears that the 'blue' area around the exchange in Whitegate is very small indeed.

My understanding from reading the thread and other threads is that when the exchange in Whitegate goes live for fibre in the coming months that I have zero chance of getting it.

If I will not be able to get fibre, is it likely that my current speed can be increased? I get around 6mb at the moment. Can I do anything to increase my speed after the exchange goes live?

Any relevant thoughts would be most welcome.

Cheers.

Hope the OP doesn't mind me hopping on board the thread but I'm in a somewhat similar situation and would like to know where I stand for broadband speed in the near future.

I live approx 2.5km as the crow flies or approx 3km by road from my exchange - Whitegate, Co Cork. WGT1_E01 . This exchange is indicated as due to go live in June 15 however Eircom has mentioned to be that this will be delayed somewhat - nothing more precise than that.

I am significantly outside the 'blue' area on the broadband.gov.ie map. It appears that the 'blue' area around the exchange in Whitegate is very small indeed.

My understanding from reading the thread and other threads is that when the exchange in Whitegate goes live for fibre in the coming months that I have zero chance of getting it.

If I will not be able to get fibre, is it likely that my current speed can be increased? I get around 6mb at the moment. Can I do anything to increase my speed after the exchange goes live?

Any relevant thoughts would be most welcome.

Cheers.

I'm afraid you will remain stuck on that speed for the foreseeable future as you are likely beyond eFibre's range. You will have to wait for if/when the NBP rolls around to you.

My line is a rats whisker under 2KM from my exchange and I'm fairly sure that I will get nada when it gets eFibred. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭gunnerfitzy

I'm afraid you will remain stuck on that speed for the foreseeable future as you are likely beyond eFibre's range. You will have to wait for if/when the NBP rolls around to you.

My line is a rats whisker under 2KM from my exchange and I'm fairly sure that I will get nada when it gets eFibred. :(

Darn. I was hoping to get some increase. I would be happy enough for a while if I could get up to 10mb.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,210 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Darn. I was hoping to get some increase. I would be happy enough for a while if I could get up to 10mb.

Maybe I'm just being more hopeful than realistic here...

I'm in a similar situation - Outside the range for Fibre on an exchange scheduled to be upgraded.. Current exchange only has 8Mb back-haul so I'm limited to a 3mb profile (but get much much less than that in reality). surely if the exchange is upgraded to fibre , that means the backhaul increases significantly.

Should that not mean that I'd be able to get higher speeds as I'd no longer be limted by the crappy capacity??

My line stats suggest that on the current exchange , if capacity existed, I'd be able to get ~8mb/s - Will I at least get that??

Quin_Dub wrote: »
    I'm in a similar situation - Outside the range for Fibre on an exchange scheduled to be upgraded.. Current exchange only has 8Mb back-haul so I'm limited to a 3mb profile (but get much much less than that in reality). surely if the exchange is upgraded to fibre , that means the backhaul increases significantly.

Should that not mean that I'd be able to get higher speeds as I'd no longer be limted by the crappy capacity??

My line stats suggest that on the current exchange , if capacity existed, I'd be able to get ~8mb/s - Will I at least get that??

You're spot on here, you will see a boost.

There are two possibilities:
    • Too far out from a VDSL Cab or EVDSL exchange to see a speed increase from VDSL and on an NGN exchange currently
    • Too far out from a VDSL Cab or EVDSL exchange to see a speed increase from VDSL and on an overloaded old rural reach exchange

You're in the latter so you can see in an increase. When they run in core fibre to replace the existing radio link they can then declare the exchange NGN, it'll have at least a few Tbps of bandwidth back to the core, and then your operator can sell you 8/24Mb packages. Also your pings should fall out of the sky.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,748 ✭✭✭rolexeagle1

I appear to be 1736m from an activated exchange but Eircom say eFibre is not available for me....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,072 ✭✭✭mass_debater

srumball wrote: »
    I appear to be 1736m from an activated exchange but Eircom say eFibre is not available for me....

You need to be under 1700m from the exchange

You're spot on here, you will see a boost.

There are two possibilities:
    • Too far out from a VDSL Cab or EVDSL exchange to see a speed increase from VDSL and on an NGN exchange currently
    • Too far out from a VDSL Cab or EVDSL exchange to see a speed increase from VDSL and on an overloaded old rural reach exchange

You're in the latter so you can see in an increase. When they run in core fibre to replace the existing radio link they can then declare the exchange NGN, it'll have at least a few Tbps of bandwidth back to the core, and then your operator can sell you 8/24Mb packages. Also your pings should fall out of the sky.

Cool - Not expecting massive speeds , but a stable reasonable level would make me very happy...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,748 ✭✭✭rolexeagle1

You need to be under 1700m from the exchange

Ah, thought is was 1800m, Cheers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 885 ✭✭✭celticbhoy27

Has anything changed in the last year? Im good bit from an exchange - 3 or 4 km. But got call saying im fibre enabled. Expexting speeds of 70mb. Tested line on eircom and sky. Both came back saying it was correct?! Is the distance thing still a factor?

Has anything changed in the last year? Im good bit from an exchange - 3 or 4 km. But got call saying im fibre enabled. Expexting speeds of 70mb. Tested line on eircom and sky. Both came back saying it was correct?! Is the distance thing still a factor?

The laws of physics hasn't changed, so no ... distance is still a factor.

I wonder is this one of those famous glitches in their pre-qual database?

Advertisement