Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Virgin Media: EPC2425/3925 Modem/Router and Speed Issues - POST HERE ONLY

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

Korasa wrote: »
    Cheers for the response. I don't think it has much to do with the number of us using it. Over the hoidays it was just myself and one other and I was still having issues. I should also mention I am te only person in the house wired directly to the modem. But if buying a new modem helps I may have to do that today. Cheers.

Is it only LoL that has problems? Does the connection just drop randomly sometimes? Router might be overheating. It's definitely not because of lack of port-forwarding - might be just UPC having network problems. Ring them up and complain if it persists.

From some googling it seems LoL recommends you disable ipv6. I'm not sure if you can do this on your local pc, or if you have to get UPC to disable it on your router. Ring them up and ask.

@TheConductor: Same advice goes to you. Might be congestion, router overheating or UPC network outages. Ring them up :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Morning guys.
    Anyone know whats happening with broadband speeds and dropping connections every evening. Resets etc aren't effective- and its the same on a wired connection as wireless- the speed just drops all the way down to between 5 and 10mb (on a 200mb connection). Pings also creep upwards at a scary rate- and pretty much anything other than Skype video calls are out of the question (and even the Skype video calls stutters).

Its only the last couple of days.

Are UPC doing something- does anyone know? Its also happening around the same time in the evening- 7-8PM, its perfectly fine in the morning, and the few times I've had to come home during the day its positively zooming.

Login to your modem during the day and copy the stats. When it goes bad do it again and copy them again. Post both sets side by side here and we can see if theres an obvious cable fault.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,810 ✭✭✭Calibos

Korasa wrote: »
    Cheers for the response. I don't think it has much to do with the number of us using it. Over the hoidays it was just myself and one other and I was still having issues. I should also mention I am te only person in the house wired directly to the modem. But if buying a new modem helps I may have to do that today. Cheers.

The hundreds of simultaneous connections to peers when torrenting puts a heavy load on routers.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

ED E wrote: »
    Login to your modem during the day and copy the stats. When it goes bad do it again and copy them again. Post both sets side by side here and we can see if theres an obvious cable fault.

Next time I'm in the house during the daytime I'll do this.

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭Korasa

srsly78 wrote: »
    Is it only LoL that has problems? Does the connection just drop randomly sometimes? Router might be overheating. It's definitely not because of lack of port-forwarding - might be just UPC having network problems. Ring them up and complain if it persists.

From some googling it seems LoL recommends you disable ipv6. I'm not sure if you can do this on your local pc, or if you have to get UPC to disable it on your router. Ring them up and ask.

Nah, only issue is with lol which is a shame as a few of us play it. Everythin works fine when in game but the issues arise with the client. Odd. Might call upc and see what can be done. cheers for the advice!

• Registered Users Posts: 30 akav05

Hey guys sorry if this is in the wrong section. Upc recently swaped out my modem from the Cisco one to the new Ubee modem, the issues I was having with my Cisco modem was that the wifi reception was brutal in certain parts of my apartment. The Ubee modem fixes that problem for me but has also giving me another problem. I have a minix neo x8 which is a android tv box with the Cisco modem hard wired I was getting speeds roughly in the 90'sMbps and on my laptop 205Mbps now with the new modem my laptop receives the same results but my minix will only reach 33Mpbs hard wired the same also with my PS4 wifi on both devices is actually faster then my wired connection. Nothing has changed since the new modem went in. Everything is in the same position the same cables are being used it was jus a straight swap with the modems. Any help would be greatly appreciated thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Dair76

Just wondering if anyone else has electrical whine from their 3925 unit? It always kicks in when I turn on or off one PC in particular, which is connected by ethernet cable. Could a dodgy cable cause that, or more likely the unit itself? The router is in my bedroom, so it's quite irritating at night. I usually have to turn the unit off and back on again to get rid of the whine, although if the PC is off, turning the router off won't fix it - I have to turn the pc back on, then turn the 3925 off and on again, then turn off the PC. Annoying to say the least!!

Also, would any of you have a recommendation for a router to use with the 3925 in bridge mode? Have heard the Asus models are good, but essentially just want relaiability and good range (the Cisco has terrible wi-fi coverage downstairs).

Thanks!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,408 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

I'd say that whine is more likely to be coming from a fan baring on that particular PC than it is to be anything to do with your router.

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

I'd say that whine is more likely to be coming from a fan baring on that particular PC than it is to be anything to do with your router.

I'd say you didn't read my post correctly.

Have a projector that has the same whine in standby. Like coil whine on a GPU or PSU. Maybe using same Ethernet cable hook up a laptop instead to test or plug the PC into another power socket via extension cable, to rule out a grounding problem with the PC causing the whine.

Failing that it's likely coil whine in the modem itself and only a replacement will cure it. Just make sure to demand another EPC3925 so you can bridge to your own router in the future.

Or move modem to another room? Any UPC coaxial cable point will do.

• Advertisement

Thanks Calibos - will do some experimenting tomorrow morning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,028 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

Dair76 wrote: »
    Just wondering if anyone else has electrical whine from their 3925 unit? It always kicks in when I turn on or off one PC in particular, which is connected by ethernet cable. Could a dodgy cable cause that, or more likely the unit itself? The router is in my bedroom, so it's quite irritating at night. I usually have to turn the unit off and back on again to get rid of the whine, although if the PC is off, turning the router off won't fix it - I have to turn the pc back on, then turn the 3925 off and on again, then turn off the PC. Annoying to say the least!!

Also, would any of you have a recommendation for a router to use with the 3925 in bridge mode? Have heard the Asus models are good, but essentially just want relaiability and good range (the Cisco has terrible wi-fi coverage downstairs).

Thanks!

Yeah i get that as well it's actually the capacitors in the 3925, it's kind of high pitched whine in mine not much you can do unless you want to open it up and replace with better quality Japanese capacitors, don't think UPC issue these anymore.
    With regards the router I would recommend Asus routers they are well built and you can put a 3rd party firmware called MerlinWrt on them. If on a budget get the TPLink Archer C7 just make sure it's version 2.

Yeah, did a bit of switching cables etc, and it's definitely the router creating the capacitor whine. I've read an application of hot glue over the capacitors can help, but that sounds risky/like too much hassle. The UPC website says they still use the Cisco routers, so I might see if they'll replace it.

Thanks for the helpful replies!

• Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭Seapoint

EITS wrote: »
    Is anyone else having trouble with the broadband the last two days? I'm having constant disconnects every 5-10 minutes for around 5-10 seconds before it reconnects. Beyond infuriating

I'm on my second replacement EPC3925 in a month, and had an engineer in the house for an hour today trying to establish what the problem is. In the end, he said it was either my modem... and offered me a UBee , which I graciously declined, or my equipment. I have slowly but surely removed all of my hard wired equipment from the Cisco, before finally resetting the modem. Even when reset, it clapped out every 5~10 mins.

I'm getting very frustrated. I wonder should I stick a new router on it in bridge mode to see?

USB fan. Seriously.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 tomahony

Can somebody clarify the following for me?

I currently have the EPC2425 modem. I need to enable bridging so that I can use my own router (the line is; I work from home and need a hardware VPN). Am I right in saying:

- my current router, the epc2425 can't bridge
    - the EPC3925 can bridge 'out of the box'

You don't need your own router to connect to remote vpn.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 tomahony

srsly78 wrote: »
    You don't need your own router to connect to remote vpn.

I know that. It's not the point though. I want to be able to bridge my own router.

• Advertisement

Sure, but many readers seem to have the odd idea that bridging is needed for reason X when that isn't the case. You don't even need bridging if you want to use your own router.

https://youtu.be/ee0ouiklgEw?t=157

LTT complaining about the 3925 in Singapore, glad to see we're not only ones suffering from shíte CPE.

https://youtu.be/ee0ouiklgEw?t=157

LTT complaining about the 3925 in Singapore, glad to see we're not only ones suffering from shíte CPE.

Didn't cop the TLA but had a fairly good idea given the 3925 and Singapore referances, what I was about to see on YouTube when I clicked the link. Happened to watch the access point shopping and setup video last night and smiled when I saw the rebadged 3925. "Ah there's their problem!"

Xerox 3250 printer working fine on my old modem IP address 192.168.1.20, put in the UBEE modem, and it does not see the printer. Checked printer and its address is 192.168.1.20 and idea of what I am doing wrong

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭moonboy52

uregare wrote: »
    Xerox 3250 printer working fine on my old modem IP address 192.168.1.20, put in the UBEE modem, and it does not see the printer. Checked printer and its address is 192.168.1.20 and idea of what I am doing wrong

Is the Ubee Modem on a different subnet? Maybe 192.168.2.0?

Printer is 192.168.1.20, Subnet 255.255.255.0

I cant find a subnet for the UBEE but the IP mask is 255.255.255.0

• Advertisement

THe UBEE range is from 192.168.0.1, with this printer you have to connect it up first as a USB printer, u can then change the IP address which I did to 192.168.0.10 and connect as a local printer on a TCP/IP port so now its working.

On another note,I switched the modem off with the little switch on the back, When it cam back one the wifi while visible did not allow you to connect. I had to reset it and eventually it connected

What mount/thread is the 2425s antenna?

What mount/thread is the 2425s antenna?

RP-SMA I believe.

Cheers, took a gamble on that being the case and ordered anyways.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 536 ✭✭✭Blitz17

So for some reason I cannot get 1Gbps connection anymore, if I force it I get no connection. It only runs at 100Mbps now.

Any ideas??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,749 ✭✭✭degsie

Blitz17 wrote: »
    So for some reason I cannot get 1Gbps connection anymore, if I force it I get no connection. It only runs at 100Mbps now.

Any ideas??

Try another cable? Make sure its min cat5e.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,687 ✭✭✭Danger781

Are these still the default routers that UPC give out? Our contract is expired so will be calling them today to discuss an upgrade. Last year we got a free swap from the 2425 to the 3925 but this is now experiencing some issues as well - Was hoping a newer model was available. Wifi connection seems to drop for a few seconds every minute or two - Download speeds drop to 0B/s on all connected devices. I've taken to using mobile internet on my phone now instead..

If I look into bridging how would this work with a 1Gb switch? Wall connection > 3925 > Router > Switch?

Only for business customers. Home users get the Technicolor TC7200. It can be bridged in some cases but you need to use SNMP to do it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,778 ✭✭✭dmcg90

Can anyone advise on this? Have 2425 and I'm having a nightmare, UPC aren't being helpful.

http://www.boards.ie/ttfthread/2057462969/1#post96278902

dmcg90 wrote: »
    Can anyone advise on this? Have 2425 and I'm having a nightmare, UPC aren't being helpful.

http://www.boards.ie/ttfthread/2057462969/1#post96278902

Replied there as the body of info is there.

TLDR: UPC arent wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,778 ✭✭✭dmcg90

Replied there as the body of info is there.

TLDR: UPC arent wrong.

Cheers for that, I'll take your advice on it. Customer care have been telling me it's purely a channel issue, to see who is using what channel and use the least congested so it's good to actually have some solid advice on what to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 schiz0phren1c

same here,
    since about the 17th of july my router has become so hot at times I can't touch it,I have it on a makeshift heat spreader with a fan pointed at it,but I shouldn't have to!

• Registered Users Posts: 37 schiz0phren1c

same here,
    since about the 17th of july my router has become so hot at times I can't touch it,I have it on a makeshift heat spreader with a fan pointed at it,but I shouldn't have to!
    ps I don't torrent(much...and always legal),I work in a secure industry where I have to send and receive large packets and I game online and do vocal acting on the side and these regular interruptions are messing things up big time.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,311 ✭✭✭weiland79

hi all
    I recently bought a belkin wifi range extender but need to set up a static ip address on my cisco3925. I can get to a certain point using youtube vids but can't finish it up. Would be great if someone could help me with this.

Thanks.

What are you intending to do? A range extender usually has no routing facility and just repeats a wireless signal.

• Advertisement

weiland79 wrote: »
    hi all
    I recently bought a belkin wifi range extender but need to set up a static ip address on my cisco3925. I can get to a certain point using youtube vids but can't finish it up. Would be great if someone could help me with this.

Thanks.

Do you mean static WAN (public/external) or LAN (internal) address?

I have the router in the back of the house and have no signal upstairs in the bedrooms. All i want it for is to watch netflix on a tablet but we changed to Horizon and lost all signal in the rest of the house so upc sent us out the new router but nothing has changed.

degsie wrote: »
    Do you mean static WAN (public/external) or LAN (internal) address?

I think it's LAN sorry not too clued in on these things

Just give the belkin 192.168.2.1 and you'll be fine.

Just give the belkin 192.168.2.1 and you'll be fine.

So that worked and the range extender is now connected to the network. Great!
    Only problem is that it has made a bit of difference. The router is in an extension at the back of the house and the bedroom is upstairs and at the front of the house so obviously too much house in between. I've tried the extender in different parts of the house but it hasn't worked. Is there anything anyone can suggest to boost the signal.
    It's really frustrating as I never had any problems before I changed to the horizon package!

Probably get 2 wifi homeplugs + 1 regular and distribute your transmission points.

Probably get 2 wifi homeplugs + 1 regular and distribute your transmission points.

Thanks for your replies but could you give me a little bit more detail please. If you could suggest which homeplugs i should get and how i need to set them up? Are the range extenders i have useless in this set up.
    Thanks for your time.

weiland79 wrote: »
    Thanks for your replies but could you give me a little bit more detail please. If you could suggest which homeplugs i should get and how i need to set them up? Are the range extenders i have useless in this set up.
    Thanks for your time.

I'm guessing he means this:
    homeplug-network1.jpg
    Using two wifi/ethernet units (the one on the right) in different parts of the house, closer to where your devices are.

Rear, Downstairs: UPCs terrible CPE, base homeplug
    Rear, Upstairs: Wifi Homeplug 1
    Front, Downstairs: Wifi Homeplug 2
    Front, Upstairs: Belkin

Have them all use the same SSID, same PSK, different channels(1, 6, 11, 13). That'll maximize coverage.

• Advertisement

Thanks again that's a great help, I assume though there's no guarantee that it will work and I'll have bought a load of gear for nothing?

Advertisement