Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

URGENT Liberty refuses to communicate with my previous insurer about a no-claims bonu

Options
  • 03-10-2015 11:13am
    Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭

Hello.

I'm having an issue with my policy and I'd like to understand more about your practices, since I was left baffled after all this.

I bought a car insurance policy with you because I was confirmed more than once my no-claims bonus earned in the EU would be valid, and that I was only required to send the documents I received from my insurer to you. I did that, enclosing a certified English translation of them, and one of your employee confirmed the no-claims proof was received.

After a couple of weeks from that, when I was checking my policy online, I noticed that there was a change and the premium had increased by € 3200. Since there was no specific date, I thought it was a mistake due to the fact my no-claims proof was mailed to you and arrived late, and then the system wasn't updated too for some reason.

I previously received a letter from Liberty asking for my no-claims bonus, I was confirmed your notification letter was sent the same day you received mine with the NCB proof, and that I could have simply ignored it.

I enquired to fix that change in the online system, and I was told your validation team couldn't get in touch with my previous insurer after having sent one email almost two weeks ago. I asked what I was supposed to do since my no-claims bonus is valid and I had zero claims since I'm driving, but Liberty insisted that my previous insurer must reply to that specific and single email the team has sent.

The day after, Friday (yesterday), I receive a letter from Liberty asking me to pay € 3200 by Monday, listing the possible payment options.

I'd like to understand how it is possible to ask me to pay that amount over a weekend. Most of the options were by post which will never arrive by Monday even if sent on Saturday morning. I could pay by debit card, but I still can't understand the complete lack of communication with me.

No one ever called me in reasonable advance to say "you previous insurer is not confirming your no-claims bonus, we might remove the discount and demand a payment".

And when I offer to make my previous insurer send directly to Liberty a no-claims bonus proof, it is refused. I offered Liberty everything in my power to validate my no-claims bonus, but Liberty keeps saying that single and specific email must be answered. I couldn't get any information about the email otehr than the date when it was sent. Even the representative of my previous insurer has no idea how to let his own company know there is an email that needs a reply without knowing the recipient. There are thousand of offices and employees, it is a foreign country and English is not spoken, how can an email back be expected?

I had to call everywhere during these two days and I was left with no choice or time to act and fix the issue Liberty is creating. My no-claims bonus is valid, my previous insurer is willing to send official documents (in local language and maybe in English too) to prove it, I can't understand why Liberty refuses that, since I was advertised it would. And it's all official documentation from another insurance company. I could enquire about having an English version of the certificate directly from the insurer, but I wasn't told anything so far that solution would be accepted by Liberty. It's also the weekend now and I can't in any way communicate with my previous insurance company before Monday.

Please understand that when I was signing the policy and on my contract is stated that I am required to prove my no-claims bonus. I sent you the documents in original language plus a certified translation to English I had to pay for. Liberty wanted to validate that, which I understand, but if Liberty refuses to speak with my previous insurer and doesn't help me prove my position this really can't be acceptable.

I also can't get my head around how the surcharge was computed.

(I'm not going to put the exact amounts)
    I was quoted 4200 € as a base premium, with the no-claims bonus I got a discount of 63% bringing it to 1500 € statutory charges included.

I paid that amount when purchasing the policy. Now I am asked to pay 3200 €. This will bring my premium to 4700 €.

What happened in a month that the premium went up by 500-600 €? I understand the issue you have created with the no-claims, but I am even asked to pay an amount bigger than the initial premium of my policy!

Please advise by Monday as I would like to solve this issue by the deadline set by Liberty. I was looking forward to being your customer, but if Liberty refuses to talk with my insurer in any possible way other than a single email no one will answer and no one can find, and if I am asked to pay such amount in so little time, I really don't know what to think. I did everything in my power to accommodate Liberty.

Comments

• Company Representative Posts: 163 Verified rep Liberty Insurance: Una

Hello.

I'm having an issue with my policy and I'd like to understand more about your practices, since I was left baffled after all this.

I bought a car insurance policy with you because I was confirmed more than once my no-claims bonus earned in the EU would be valid, and that I was only required to send the documents I received from my insurer to you. I did that, enclosing a certified English translation of them, and one of your employee confirmed the no-claims proof was received.

After a couple of weeks from that, when I was checking my policy online, I noticed that there was a change and the premium had increased by € 3200. Since there was no specific date, I thought it was a mistake due to the fact my no-claims proof was mailed to you and arrived late, and then the system wasn't updated too for some reason.

I previously received a letter from Liberty asking for my no-claims bonus, I was confirmed your notification letter was sent the same day you received mine with the NCB proof, and that I could have simply ignored it.

I enquired to fix that change in the online system, and I was told your validation team couldn't get in touch with my previous insurer after having sent one email almost two weeks ago. I asked what I was supposed to do since my no-claims bonus is valid and I had zero claims since I'm driving, but Liberty insisted that my previous insurer must reply to that specific and single email the team has sent.

The day after, Friday (yesterday), I receive a letter from Liberty asking me to pay € 3200 by Monday, listing the possible payment options.

I'd like to understand how it is possible to ask me to pay that amount over a weekend. Most of the options were by post which will never arrive by Monday even if sent on Saturday morning. I could pay by debit card, but I still can't understand the complete lack of communication with me.

No one ever called me in reasonable advance to say "you previous insurer is not confirming your no-claims bonus, we might remove the discount and demand a payment".

And when I offer to make my previous insurer send directly to Liberty a no-claims bonus proof, it is refused. I offered Liberty everything in my power to validate my no-claims bonus, but Liberty keeps saying that single and specific email must be answered. I couldn't get any information about the email otehr than the date when it was sent. Even the representative of my previous insurer has no idea how to let his own company know there is an email that needs a reply without knowing the recipient. There are thousand of offices and employees, it is a foreign country and English is not spoken, how can an email back be expected?

I had to call everywhere during these two days and I was left with no choice or time to act and fix the issue Liberty is creating. My no-claims bonus is valid, my previous insurer is willing to send official documents (in local language and maybe in English too) to prove it, I can't understand why Liberty refuses that, since I was advertised it would. And it's all official documentation from another insurance company. I could enquire about having an English version of the certificate directly from the insurer, but I wasn't told anything so far that solution would be accepted by Liberty. It's also the weekend now and I can't in any way communicate with my previous insurance company before Monday.

Please understand that when I was signing the policy and on my contract is stated that I am required to prove my no-claims bonus. I sent you the documents in original language plus a certified translation to English I had to pay for. Liberty wanted to validate that, which I understand, but if Liberty refuses to speak with my previous insurer and doesn't help me prove my position this really can't be acceptable.

I also can't get my head around how the surcharge was computed.

(I'm not going to put the exact amounts)
    I was quoted 4200 € as a base premium, with the no-claims bonus I got a discount of 63% bringing it to 1500 € statutory charges included.

I paid that amount when purchasing the policy. Now I am asked to pay 3200 €. This will bring my premium to 4700 €.

What happened in a month that the premium went up by 500-600 €? I understand the issue you have created with the no-claims, but I am even asked to pay an amount bigger than the initial premium of my policy!

Please advise by Monday as I would like to solve this issue by the deadline set by Liberty. I was looking forward to being your customer, but if Liberty refuses to talk with my insurer in any possible way other than a single email no one will answer and no one can find, and if I am asked to pay such amount in so little time, I really don't know what to think. I did everything in my power to accommodate Liberty.
    Hi JackHeuston,
    I'm sorry you are having an issue with verifying your No Claims Bonus. I would be keen to look into this matter for you. Please send me your policy number by PM so I can investigate this further for you.
    Una

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭JackHeuston

Hello Una,
    could you please confirm you have received my PM. I'm having issues with Boards.ie and accessing the private messages area.

Thank you for your prompt reply.

Hello Una,
    could you please confirm you have received my PM. I'm having issues with Boards.ie and accessing the private messages area.

Hello Una,

Dear Una

I'm so sorry but boards.ie for me is not working very well and I'm trying to reply to your PM here, I'll avoid mentioning any private information.

Thank you so much for solving my issue. I understand Liberty wants to verify my position with my previous insurer, but I would suggest your validation team when dealing with some kind of companies to use traditional letters or faxes instead of emails.

Unfortunately your letter arrived late, I wasn't notified by phone in reasonable advance, and I tried to act and follow your procedures to verify my NCB during the weekend, which is always stressful and hard to deal with since not everyone's working.

I'd really like to thank you for your support and understanding, and yes I would like to receive a letter to confirm my policy is in good standing and the NCB was accepted.

Thanks again, I'm looking forward to receive the letter.

• Advertisement
  • Company Representative Posts: 163 Verified rep Liberty Insurance: Una

Hi JackHeuston,
    I will issue a follow up letter to you in the forthcoming days.
    Thanks
    Una

Advertisement