Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

IFGC Presents - The Irish Open

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 34 trole

Hio,

Just going to say this before I continue, I've run tournies and events for my societies in college and help run the smash bros events on the day which get about 25-50 ppl. (so please don't **** on me by saying "if you knew what it was like to run these" circle jerk.)

I thought I'd give a little fedback! I did like the venue and such, it was a real blow to not have the projector working to be honest. I think it would have made the overall venue 10x more suited to our needs (or even trying to get the games streamed onto the tv's if at all possible) but that's not very constructive and couldn't be helped overall.

The one thing I would say is that some thought should have been put into the number of sign ups for each game. When I looked at the event page before it began I had seen that smash bros had more sign ups than any of the other games (bar SF ofcourse) and I was surprised to see that there had been barely any room/priority made for the game. I'm not saying that smash as a game deserves more room or anything, but based on the number of participants and such it surely would have made sense to place us in a space that was more convenient (we were sort of overflowing into the main pathway). Myself and another guy helping running it had to ask for another setup just so we could get the tournament done on time which seemed like something that an event organizer would have had to do (bare in mind we were not on the staff). I'm saying this because I think it would have helped congestion a little bit that's all.

I think if there was that bit more thought put into the positioning of the setups and taking spectators into account (wasnt it 10 euro in just to watch?) it would have been far more enjoyable.

Overall I really enjoyed the event, the staff were nice and you could see everyone was working very hard. Thanks very much for running it and I really hope we see another one of these in the future because I think it will be much better if some feedback was taken into account.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭A-Trak

I have some questions...

Who knocked Terry out?

Sorry, that's my only question.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,041 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

RasTa wrote: »
    Well you didn't try hard enough, off the top of my head Bison/Workmans would have given you their music room for free for the time it started at. The same for Twister Pepper. This isn't my job to find out, it's the organisers.

I hope you don't get to defensive over the feedback, but it was a shambles. Players consistently being shouted at to get out of the way etc.

The venue wasn't perfect and a few other issues on the day made it worse.

Would the workman's club and Twisted Pepper have provided all the chairs we used for free too?

Would they have had a seperate closed off area with a wired Internet connection so that we could stream it properly?

Shouting at people to get out of the way was an unfortunate necessity on the day. Anyone I was particularly rude too, I've known for years and can assure you they weren't offended.

The Smash area was small because of the amount of full setups promised.

Same with Tekken, who actually had more setups that they couldn't use due to a socket that kept shorting.

I also have no idea why UNIB was ran and if those setups weren't there it would have felt a lot less cramped.

Overall the event ran pretty well and we did manage to get through all the tournaments on time.

Next year will hopefully see more sponsorship and a better venue, so hopefully you'll give us another chance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭animaX

A-Trak wrote: »
    I have some questions...

Who knocked Terry out?

Sorry, that's my only question.

I gracefully knocked myself out. Like an old established wrestler letting younger talent get "over", I reflected long and hard and decided it was time to let some young blood come through, rather than me hogging the limelight in the latter stages of the bracket - so I "dropped" some combos at crucial moments and "whiffed" some ultras that would certainly have put my opponents away. It was very subtle and my opponents were none the wiser, but it gave them some much-needed boosts.

If my sacrifice helped the greater good then I'm glad i made the decision to lose.

Peace out

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Brickterium

Hey guys, chiming in a bit late but had to say I had a great time. First tournament I've actually attended ( not counting the one I went to like 4 years ago when I didn't understand SF ) and it was a big one. It was awesome meeting so many new people and seeing some people I rarely get to see.

Any feedback I have over the venue and stuff has already been addressed but it would be just the general small venue comments.

GGs to all the guys I played, luckily I was spared from salty defeats as I got bodied by Problem X and lost to a friend!

P.S. Shout-outs to the Smash guys, if only Project M existed in Cork!

• Registered Users Posts: 7 tigernorm

Hi all,
    Just wanted to say thanks to brian ajay and team. I think criticism of the event is a bit harsh it was very good and the standard of play was excellent. A little cramped and I was worried one or two of the setup chairs was going to give out under my hulking frame which obviously resulted in me not reaching the grand finals;). Thanks to everyone I played and see you all next time .

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭ryanakabyitz

This was my third tournament to go to. I had great craic. Four of my mates went as well and it was their first tournament and they all had a laugh. Thanks to all of the staff who organised it and ran brackets. I can imagine it being very stressful. Hopefully another event like this can happen again, having international players over to play against or to watch play the top Irish players was really cool. Its a shame I did not get to stay to watch the rest of the tournament because of bus times but I am sure the videos will be up soon! Again thanks to everyone who made it possible.

-Scumbag Wilson :D

Its a shame I did not get to stay to watch the rest of the tournament because of bus times but I am sure the videos will be up soon!

The Twitch archive is on twitch.tv/brianvondoom

There's an 8 hour video call Mahvel Baybay Part 2 Irish Open or something like that.

Street Fighter starts about an hour and a half in.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

So I may have just accidentally ordered myself a HDMI projector and a small screen.

So that's one bit of feedback sorted :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,629 ✭✭✭raah!

GGs everyone. Very fun tournament, had some really nice stuff. I particularly liked the being in a bar for post-loss pints. This has me hype to play more sf now, will get a set up and xbox for my house.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 966 ✭✭✭Jun_DP101

I think we could make more use off pre-registering for the tournaments online like in Cannes. Gives us a more accurate indication of numbers and more time to prepare or change venue if needs be. Maybe offer a discount for pre reg or charge more for on the day sign ups. Just throwing ideas out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭ayjayirl

Jun_DP101 wrote: »
    I think we could make more use off pre-registering for the tournaments online like in Cannes. Gives us a more accurate indication of numbers and more time to prepare or change venue if needs be. Maybe offer a discount for pre reg or charge more for on the day sign ups. Just throwing ideas out there.

A change of venue is hardly possible 1/2 way through but I do want an paid for online reg. Thing is that it costs to do. I'll look at it for next time. Maybe a wordpress with paypal will work well.

ayjayirl wrote: »
    A change of venue is hardly possible 1/2 way through but I do want an paid for online reg. Thing is that it costs to do. I'll look at it for next time. Maybe a wordpress with paypal will work well.

If people pre-registered a month or two before hand and we had known there was gonna be 70+ ppl could we have not looked at alternative venues? Dunno what you mean by the 1/2 way through comment.

If If If. Of course IF conditions where we can, THEN sort. Hindsight is 20 20 and we did not have commitment from various sources until about 6 - 8 weeks out and a few weeks before xmas is not a time you can pick and choose venue's. It has also been alluded to in previous posts that venue requirements are largely what dictates viability. In this case, the projector fail really hurt us. With it in place, nearly 1/2 the venue could have seen the matches from the side with space - as was intended.

That being said, a couple of points:
    1) Last time we spent on a bigger venue and went all out we got less than 1/2 of those reg'd. People just didn't bother their arses to come out. I can't make em and although we got what facebook said we would, for me, that'd be a first.

2) I believe getting people to pay online will help tremendously for planning. It will be looked at for the next one but it has a cost factor.

3) Suggests from people are welcome, despite some being formed as more of a point of annoyance. It is however, always funny listening to the musings of those who have yet to arrange even a small event. It is NEVER as simple as suggested afterwards.

4) I'd want a website exclusively for the event. The irish open. This should be in place for next year. It would take care of a few issues. SM is fine, but not solely on its own.

I'm sure more will come to me later and I'll add more for the post mortem
    Aj

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,731 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Please get some A3/A2 posters with double elimination brackets printed.

And assign matches to stations.

This could help competitors and TOs more easily see who has to play, and where; and might alleviate time stress and "dead time" (I saw a lot of empty stations while I was waiting on my matches).

Promotion after the event, shortly after the time of the event would be great!
    Make the people who missed it regret it. (I do.)

I still have no idea who won what and how hype the event was. ZoomyZoom posted some brilliant photos on the closed FB group. If I hadn't of seen those I'd of thought the event was a busted flush.

Doom, Ajay and team - it seems like a massive success. Take half the time to promote that after the event as you did in advance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

I don't think the next one should be held in Dublin. How many watched the stream if that was so important?

Should look to the West of Ireland imo

RasTa wrote: »
    I don't think the next one should be held in Dublin. How many watched the stream if that was so important?

Should look to the West of Ireland imo

Over 5,000 people watched the stream.

And hosting a tournament in which we're trying to attract international participation so far away from our international airport would be a terrible idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭GorySnake

Promotion after the event, shortly after the time of the event would be great!
    Make the people who missed it regret it. (I do.)

I still have no idea who won what and how hype the event was.

Best I can remember off the top of my head:

Street Fighter:

1st Problem X
    2nd Cobelcog
    3rd Pro Fluke
    4th Azza

After that Im not too sure on Top 8, I know Justin Xavier came 5th and Silver Steez and Apollo_Steed came either 5th or 7th.

Marvel:

1st Nutrient
    2nd Lythero
    3rd Counter aka FrozenFlame7 aka m4g3r54 aka Tom

Tekken:
    1st Fergus The Gus McGee
    2nd Kuro Tao

Nutrient won Injustice as well, and I have no idea about UNIB or Smash results

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭Naphiel

Luke (Firebreather/Irish Mantys) was second in IJ.

UNIB was me first, Voa second and Makofueled 3rd.

No idea about Smash either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Over 5,000 people watched the stream.

And hosting a tournament in which we're trying to attract international participation so far away from our international airport would be a terrible idea.

5k is not worth the detrimental effect to the players in attendance. International seems a bit of a jump, build an Irish staple first.

Not everything has to be in Dublin, can get the gobus from the airport straight to Galway if that's an issue.

There are regularly events held in Dublin and Galway currently.

We wanted to try run an international event this time with overseas players and asking them to get on a coach for three hours or so straight after a flight would not be good.

That being said, if a large event like this was ever held in Galway we'd support it as much as we could.

One of the people running the SFIV tournament on Saturday was from Galway and he certainly wasn't complaining that it was in Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Fergus_

Tekken was

1st - Fergus
    2nd - Kuro
    3rd - Bob/Trecs

4th was Mazman and 5th was Usurpur as far as I can remember.

Smash was eh

1: Khanye East
    2: Henriflame (me)
    3: ArmouredWolf
    4: Mikenyan

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭MazManZero

Fergus_ wrote: »
    Tekken was

1st - Fergus
    2nd - Kuro
    3rd - Bob/Trecs

4th was Usurpur and 5th was Mazman as far as I can remember.

I was 4th. D:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Fergus_

Fixed!

I just thought, would eventbrite be an option for you to use to get signups?

trole wrote: »
    I just thought, would eventbrite be an option for you to use to get signups?

It could. They charge percentages so we could just account for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭Constant Markievicz

I just want to say thanks to ayjay and everyone on the team who made the whole thing happen- running tournaments, streaming, MC-ing, recording brackets and everything else. I know it was stressful and a lot of work, but you all did a great job. I'm sorry to see some people expressing their opinions in a less than constructive manner- there's always room for improvement, no matter what you do, but I hope you guys don't let some poorly-worded feedback give you the wrong impression of how the day went. It was the first big tournament I've been to, and I had a great time. Congratulations on running a successful event, and I'm looking forward to the next one!

http://rachelpirl.imgur.com/all/

Some photos from the open. Kindly donated by Rachel.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭ryanakabyitz

Just wondering what the stream viewership peak at ?

Just wondering what the stream viewership peak at ?

The highest I saw it at was 628. It may have gone higher as I had to go off to play at that point.

There was 5,000 views for the stream. Both of these are the highest figures I've ever had (I'm really more of a youtuber than a streamer).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,396 ✭✭✭PPC

The highest I saw on the mobile client was 698, so it may have tipped 700 at one point.
    This was during Sh4rin's match.

PPC wrote: »
    The highest I saw on the mobile client was 698, so it may have tipped 700 at one point.
    This was during Sh4rin's match.

Ya sh4rin works for Riot Games and is pretty well known in the EU League of Legends community. He has about 30k followers on twitter and helped us a lot with promoting the stream on the day

Jun_DP101 wrote: »
    Ya sh4rin works for Riot Games and is pretty well known in the EU League of Legends community. He has about 30k followers on twitter and helped us a lot with promoting the stream on the day

The guy is a legend in my book. Knows whats its about

http://www.the-arcade.ie/2014/11/randomselect-ie-ifgc-first-international-open/

In case any of you are not on the facebook :pac:

The Arcade were present on Sat and did up a piece on it.

I've resurrected the Twitter account.
    Last post was in September.

If anyone has content they'd like promoted let me know along with your @handle if applicable.

I've resurrected the Twitter account.
    Last post was in September.

If anyone has content they'd like promoted let me know along with your @handle if applicable.

USF4 tournament Saturday in alexander hotel and Sunday at Dominicon.

@brianvondoom

Was watching the archive earlier and Tigernorm vs Sebbie C is the most entertaining match we've ever recorded.

Was watching the archive earlier and Tigernorm vs Sebbie C is the most entertaining match we've ever recorded.

Timestamp?

• Advertisement

About 2h45m

About 2h45m

Hi man can I watch archive on xbl twitch ondroid I seem to be having trouble finding it

tigernorm wrote: »
    Hi man can I watch archive on xbl twitch ondroid I seem to be having trouble finding it

Dunno about the app but the url is www.twitch.tv/brianvondoom

tigernorm wrote: »

The app on Android has no access to archives. It's the one bad thing about it.

Think the xbox app is the same.

The app on Android has no access to archives. It's the one bad thing about it.

Think the xbox app is the same.

Cheers man its been doing my head in my vaoi laptop wont charge ( piece of crap cost 1300 5 years ago) so don't have pc access

GUYS it's up. Keep calm now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭Nutrient

Who has the list of results for USF4?

Nutrient wrote: »
    Who has the list of results for USF4?

Rachel has them on her laptop, I'll very them up layer

Irish-Open-SF-Bracket.png

• Advertisement