Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IFGC Presents - The Irish Open

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭ayjayirl

Sairus wrote: »
    Hey, remember this? http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=87945984

Would anyone be willing to get something like this organized for this event? This sounds like one of the biggest events y'all will be running and a good chance for decent footage methinks. Maybe even ask a film student one of ye happen to know to pop along and film something if you can!

I will br bringing a HD camera. Can't vouch for film making quality on the camerman side but sure I'll give it a go :)

• Moderators Posts: 8,678 ✭✭✭D4RK ONION

I'll give it a shot too

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭MrHorse

Whereabouts is Trinity Bar at? Sorry Ive a terrible sense of direction :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭The Hound

Is there a list of ppl outside ireland attending? All I know is Apollo Steed will be there and Problem X? Profluke just announced he was going too. Should be good, Hope everyone is practicing hardpacman.gif

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

To my knowledge, Problem X (who is forever Fabdh X in my head), Pro Fluke and Justin Xavier are coming. I didn't know about Apollo :0

Unless Xavier is Apollo, but I don't think so. That's pretty cool!

To my knowledge, Problem X (who is forever Fabdh X in my head), Pro Fluke and Justin Xavier are coming. I didn't know about Apollo :0

Unless Xavier is Apollo, but I don't think so. That's pretty cool!

Let's not forgot Tom "I'm a f*ck up everyone" Systomatic

ISDD heard hound was going to be there and chickened out

Yeah Tom gonna rush upper loop everyone to oblivion

Hype building. Dunno how I'm gonna get through work!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,977 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

So my bag is all packed and will be en-route to Tallaght this evening.

However, I cannot find my copy of Injustice anywhere, so if anyone has a spare PS3 copy, please bring it.

Just want to thank everyone involved in making today a great success. I apologise for shouting at anyone if i did. Stress levels returning to normal.

I'll post winners tomorrow.

Well Done to all concerned

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭Ramza

GGs to everyone I played, it was great fun, breakfastroll out

MC Chopper signing off.

GG

• Registered Users Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭Ramza

Highlight of the day? Getting not one, but TWOO TIGERNORM SPECIALS!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭The Hound

Ggs to all & well played to Cobelcog and Silver Steeez

Quality stuff from everyone yesterday. Everything ran pretty smoothly (except Tekken) and fun seemed to be had by all.

If we do this again next year it'll hopefully have a bit more sponsorship and a venue that has a bit more space.

There were definitely some things we did wrong, like not assigning a letter/number to each setup, but that can be improved next time.

Massive thanks to AJ and all involved in the organisation leading up to the event and the administration on the day.

Finally, thanks to all the competitors.

Well, that was a thing!

Definitely a very stressful day too, and an exhausting one! Apologies to anyone if I was a bit terse too.

From my perspective, yesterday was an unprecedented success. I have a kind of rule that I won't be one of these video guys who's constantly looking for LIKES COMMENTS AND SUBSCRIBES (except occasionally as a joke) but regardless of that there's only so much one person can do alone to get streams and videos etc out there. Yesterday was the first day enough people talked that the world listened and at one point the stream was up to 620+ viewers. So THANK YOU ALL for that! Hopefully more attention could lead to more good things.

Yesterday, also to my knowledge, was the biggest SF4 tournament in Ireland (the previous largest was Q-Con AFAIK with 64 people) so obviously we weren't expecting 75 people. It's quite heartening as someone who'd show up to record tournaments some days with 7 or 8 players to see there's still that many people in Ireland who'll come out if we make it interesting enough to.

As Chopper says, lots to learn from this event, but I'd like to think more positives than negatives.

Genuinely, thanks to everyone who came, and special thanks to:

AJ, playing a blinder, as always.
    Rachel, for keeping me alive just about with frequent drink top ups and help.
    Voa, Onion and especially Aileen (also whoever else got dragged into recording while I stretched my legs- an 8 hour stream in that heat was a test).
    Sh4rin, Lythero and all the guys who pushed us out on social media.
    Chopper, Jimmy Onion et al for getting through the absolute nightmarish task of keeping the games going.
    All the people doing stuff I just didn't see from the room of doom.

And everyone really :)

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭Ixayek_usurper

Great event lads. Well done.

Also, just wanted to also post here, as I did in the lost and found thread:
    Left a black hoodie with a colour spiral in the centre at The Open yesterday, if anyone picked it up please give me a shout.

-EDIT-
    Cheers gussy! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Sh4rin

Hi guys!

It has been a while since I went to a SF tournament and this one didn´t dissapoint :) Special thanks to all the staff who made this possible and GGs to everyone who I played. This event really makes me want to get back into the game and come stronger the next time!

As something to improve I would say it would have been really cool to have a TV on the bar area with the match being played on stream so people could watch from there while having a drink and not crowding the player area.

It´s also very nice to know the irish fgc a bit more, you guys rock :D

Yes. Lots to learn for next time. The venue was not perfect but the crew pulled it through remarkably well. We did have the promise of a projector but the dam thing would not switch to vga input. Had that worked there would have been alot more viewing area. That made the layout of the space doubly worse imo.

Stream was great success.

• Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭GorySnake

Great tournament lads, GGs to everyone I played and a big thanks to everyone who had a part in helping run things as smoothly as possible. Amazing to see such a huge turnout and 620+ viewers on stream.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭ladnopoka

Lost to 2 Bisons in 1 tournament... I thought it was one of my best match ups... Will practice more so this won't happen again. :D

GGs to everyone... Shoutouts to all the organizers, great event!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Fergus_

GGs to everyone I played, thanks to everyone that came for Tekken, hopefully we'll have more time at the next one for casuals.

Thanks to AJ, Doom and Co. for running the whole thing, was pretty fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Apollo_steed

Great event guys, this was actually the first event i have been to outside of the UK, and after all this time was great to put some names to faces. Will definately be back next year

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭Cobelcog

GGs everyone.

Great event, thanks to all of the staff and the players for making it happen.

Was great to see so many people travelling out to make it.

Except apollo.

• Moderators Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭Azza

Hats off to Silver Steeez the true Irish Bison!

Shoutouts to coaching by players who went 0-2 :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭animaX

Well done all, was great to see such a lively tourny and great to catch up with old and new faces.

Good job by all involved with organizing, that could not have been easy!

By the way, are the results/bracket up somewhere?

animaX wrote: »
    By the way, are the results/bracket up somewhere?

Tournament maker so I can see about getting the breakdowns

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Terrible venue choice tbh. It's a tourist pub and anyone living in Dublin should have known that. I'd seen lads getting refused tap water by the barman

Thank you for your feedback.

As a lifelong resident of Dublin, I considered the fact they were willing to give us a room free with wired internet for a stream and 50 chairs for the entire day asking nothing of the people attending except for the one, single fact of accepting they are a pub and require people to pay for the food and drink consumed on the venue (people were still free to go outside and drink/ eat where ever they liked within the city) to be an extremely reasonable compromise. This meant that the prizes for the top players were larger and more money went back to the community.

If you can find a venue for the future that can provide a better offer for a group of 100 people I am sure that the tournament organiser would be extremely thankful for your help in finding one, as it is a difficult task in Dublin, where space is at a premium and he did so on his own.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9 Deskmenu

Great tournament dudes, had a good time despite getting ridiculously salty over losing my very first game. Gonna have to step my game up, can never seem to preform at tournaments like I do in casuals. The tournament was great and the international players made it feel like a huge event too, it really was a lot of fun.

Regarding the venue, I thought it was fine apart from the space. Playing on the set-ups was a battle in and of itself sometimes, with monitors being knocked over, people asking you to move in the middle of a match and constant jostling from people moving around. Besides that I thought the venue was grand, and it was handy having the Rugby on too haha.

I hope this becomes a yearly event, because I know I'll definitely come every year.

Advertisement