Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Olympic Build up

Options
  • 13-02-2012 3:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭

A little early I know but when you think about it just over five months is not really that long so this is a thread to keep up to date with performances from a more general sense (as opposed to the Irish aspect of most of our current ones)

So what races / match ups are people looking forward to?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭Sprocket77

ecoli wrote: »
    So what races / match ups are people looking forward to?

Blake vs. Bolt in the 200m. I cannot wait to see that battle. Think Blake can win it too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

Sprocket77 wrote: »
    Blake vs. Bolt in the 200m. I cannot wait to see that battle. Think Blake can win it too.

Agree with this. Over 100 don't think Blake is in same league however 200 should be a close one.

One that is really shapping up nicely is the womens 800. Semenya and Savinova was a good battle last year but a blast from the past looks to be back to her best form in Jelimo. Recently ran 52 in a 400m test which similarly she did last year and never materialised but Fri's meet in Karlushe she clocked 4.07 in the 1500m (later DQ'ed for breaking slightly too early) which shows she has strength which has been missing since 2008. Could be a great race between the three of them as Semenya goes in slowest on paper but has since began working under Maria Mutola who dominated the sport for a long time and aims to do less domestic races this year compared to last allowing for faster times hopefully

• Registered Users Posts: 3,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dan man

110m Hurdles is shaping up to be a real cracker, even more so after the contoversy in the world final surrounding Liu Xiang and Dayron Robles. Could be a world record on the cards also and the line-up promises to be mouth watering:

Liu Xiang (2004 Olympic champ/former world record holder) vs Dayron Robles (current Olympic champ and world record holder) vs Jason Richardson (current world champ) vs David Oliver (American record holder and just 0.02secs off world record) vs the likes of Aries Merritt, Terrence Trammell, home favourite Andy Turner, Dwight Thomas, Brathwaite (former world champ) etc. Really will be a must see event.

Trey Hardee/Ashton Eaton duel in the decathlon will be immense too and throw in Cuban Leonel Suarez and that will be a great event to see unfold.

Women's 800m will be fascinating also with current world champ Savinova vs Caster Semenya vs Jepkosgei vs current Olympic champ Jelimo and of course there should be some atmosphere if British hope Jenny Meadows makes the final and she will be a contender for a podium finish.

Felix (presuming she runs the 400) vs Sanya Richards vs Montsho will be a cracker also.

Cheruiyot vs a fit Tirunesh Dibaba would be amazing to see.

Ennis vs Chernova in the heptathlon will be good.

There are too many duels that promise to be exciting that I would be here all day listing them all. I think the results from the world championships last year as well as emerging talents have made this Olympics in London possibly the most exciting ever. Not too many odds on favourites, even Mr.Bolt is no longer invincible.

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭a_non_a_mouse

Dan man wrote: »

Liu Xiang (2004 Olympic champ/former world record holder)

reminds me of an interesting fact I heard recently....of course this may be very old news for some of the people here...

Before Liu, who was the last Chinese born male to win Gold in Olympic track?
    Eric Liddell's 400 metres win in 1924. He of Chariot of Fire fame was actually born in China. at least according to http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2012/jan/04/50-stunning-olympic-moments-eric-liddell

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,200 ✭✭✭G-Money

It would be nice to see a fully fit Kenenisa Bekele run against Mo Farah in the 5000m or 10,000m. I don't know if Mo could beat Bekele when he's fully fit but I think I heard the commentators saying that Salazar hasn't done much yet with Mo's finishing speed and that's the last piece of the jigsaw.

It sounds like Bolt may have his work cut out for him against Yohan Blake. Funny how Asafa Powell and Tyson Gay have almost been forgotten about in the 100m!

• Advertisement

G-Money wrote: »
    It would be nice to see a fully fit Kenenisa Bekele run against Mo Farah in the 5000m or 10,000m. I don't know if Mo could beat Bekele when he's fully fit but I think I heard the commentators saying that Salazar hasn't done much yet with Mo's finishing speed and that's the last piece of the jigsaw.

It sounds like Bolt may have his work cut out for him against Yohan Blake. Funny how Asafa Powell and Tyson Gay have almost been forgotten about in the 100m!

This is something which Salazar has said while categorically stating that Rupp has better finishing speed but the guy is a 3.33 1500m runner so one wonders whether or not his speed was established long before he went under Salazar. I think this indoor season has shown he has started though with an indoor 1500m PB and some strong mile performances (plus the addition of O Lionaird to the training group)

Its gonna be an interesting one to say the least especially with the events of last year. Despite Farahs dominance in the 10k for most of the year he still only came away with silver and didnt run fastest time of the year which went to KB

I don't think Gay has been forgotten but has been unfortunate since Berlin it all depends on whether or not he can come back to that form. In terms of the Sprints I think the 100m will be a Gay/ Bolt head to head with 200m being between the two Jamaicians. Powell is a great performer in terms of consistency but is the missing that 2% which would propell him into genuine contender especially with age not on his side however he has changed from his usual approach with starting the year with an indoor campaign so perhaps this could give him the freshness he needs as it will mean he will cut down his outdoor race calendar which is probably a good thing as he usually races more than any other sprinter

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,029 ✭✭✭Pisco Sour

Sally Pearson Vs the clock in the hurdles

Chicherova V Vlasic in the High Jump

Thorildsen V De Zordo in the Jav

Philips V Watt in the long jump

Allyson Felix, will she double or focus on the 200m, and can she finally beat VCB in an Olympics

Jessica Ennis. Can she sort out that Javelin and take the gold in front of the home crowd

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭myflipflops

The marathons are going to be sensational.

I would especially love to be there for the womens marathon if Radcliffe toes the line in shape. Any one can go and watch some Olympic compettion for free so the crowds should be huge and going mental for Radcliffe. If she is in contention with 5 miles to go it will be a sight.

I also think the Games will be another Usain Bolt show if he stays injury free. This is the real legacy year. 3 golds and another WR in the 100 for good measure.

The marathons are going to be sensational.

I would especially love to be there for the womens marathon if Radcliffe toes the line in shape. Any one can go and watch some Olympic compettion for free so the crowds should be huge and going mental for Radcliffe. If she is in contention with 5 miles to go it will be a sight.

I also think the Games will be another Usain Bolt show if he stays injury free. This is the real legacy year. 3 golds and another WR in the 100 for good measure.

+1 on the marathon both men and female are gonna be great races and even though I don't think Radcliffe will be able to compete with Keitany, Kiplagat and Shobukova the unknown factor of her fitness creates great interest

The mens is absolutely mouth watering, the only downside is that Kenya can only send three as there are about 5 who can compete on any one day though I think G Mutai has to be overwhelming favourite however Winter XC results have created a bit of interest.

In terms of Bolt I think injury free is the big if as he pulled out of his season opener which he had continually stated he was looking forward to, in order to travel to Europe for sponsorship related stuff and a "General Check up" in Germany. Probably people making a mountain out of a mole hill but to opt out of season opener for this in an Olympic year seems like there may be a little more to peoples claims of a niggle

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭Brianderunner

+1 on the marathon both men and female are gonna be great races and even though I don't think Radcliffe will be able to compete with Keitany, Kiplagat and Shobukova the unknown factor of her fitness creates great interest

The mens is absolutely mouth watering, the only downside is that Kenya can only send three as there are about 5 who can compete on any one day though I think G Mutai has to be overwhelming favourite however Winter XC results have created a bit of interest.

In terms of Bolt I think injury free is the big if as he pulled out of his season opener which he had continually stated he was looking forward to, in order to travel to Europe for sponsorship related stuff and a "General Check up" in Germany. Probably people making a mountain out of a mole hill but to opt out of season opener for this in an Olympic year seems like there may be a little more to peoples claims of a niggle

Yeah the mens marathon is gonna be sick and the tactics will be fascinating. Radcliffe will do well to be in the top 5, cant see it happening, but i'll be cheering as loud as any for her.

Part of me would rejoice for sure if Bolt can't run the 100m. All those corporates would be sickened :D I plan on seeing him a couple of times in diamond leagues this summer so hoping all is well. Those Virgin internet ad's are cringeworthy.

Are we doing the fantasy athletics again this year?

• Advertisement

Part of me would rejoice for sure if Bolt can't run the 100m. All those corporates would be sickened :D I plan on seeing him a couple of times in diamond leagues this summer so hoping all is well. Those Virgin internet ad's are cringeworthy.

To be honest I think that him injured for this one would be ultimately damaging for the sport. May be cringeworthy ads but one of the only athletes (bar the typical GB hype) that is giving the sport a more of a general public exposure which is what it needs
    Are we doing the fantasy athletics again this year?

Indeed I will open it when the Outdoor season starts though might be an idea to open on for the World indoors soon enough

One that is really shapping up nicely is the womens 800. Semenya and Savinova was a good battle last year but a blast from the past looks to be back to her best form in Jelimo. Recently ran 52 in a 400m test which similarly she did last year and never materialised but Fri's meet in Karlushe she clocked 4.07 in the 1500m (later DQ'ed for breaking slightly too early) which shows she has strength which has been missing since 2008. Could be a great race between the three of them as Semenya goes in slowest on paper but has since began working under Maria Mutola who dominated the sport for a long time and aims to do less domestic races this year compared to last allowing for faster times hopefully

Ran her first sub 2 since 2009. Personally I think she will go 1.55ish this year and will take alot to be beaten. She is 3rd fastest on all time list and has the most sub 1.55 clockings of anyone ever

Unofficial results from Tokyo marathon below, it looks like we won't be seeing Gebrselassie in London.

1 2:07:36 Michael Kipyego
    2 2:07:48 Arata Fujiwara
    3 2:07:51 Kiprotich UGA
    4 2:08:16 Haile Gebrselassie
    5 2:08:31 Viktor Rothlin

Not sure if that time will be good enough to make the Ethiopian team, although 2:07 was the winning time so it's not like he was miles behind.

Not sure if that time will be good enough to make the Ethiopian team, although 2:07 was the winning time so it's not like he was miles behind.

Getting badly beaten by a third rate (yep, 2.07 is 2nd rate for a Kenyan!) Kenyan in a paced race is not form to get him to the Olympics. When you consider the number of Ethiopians that ran under 2.06 in Dubai in January and that we have not seen guys like Gebremariam or Kebede yet, Gebrselassie will have to either produce something really special or get picked for sentimental/political reasons.

As good a story as it would be, I don't think it would be a fitting end to his glorious Olympic career to see him trailed off in London.

As good a story as it would be, I don't think it would be a fitting end to his glorious Olympic career to see him trailed off in London.

I hope they don't pick him just for the sake of sentimentality. I would also love to see Geb have one final go at the Olympics but it wouldn't be fair on the man who'd miss out by giving him the place based on nostalgia rather than merit.
    According to a report after the Tokyo marathon, Geb said he might have another shot at a fast time in order to secure selection. Gonna be a really difficult task for him.

I hope they don't pick him just for the sake of sentimentality. I would also love to see Geb have one final go at the Olympics but it wouldn't be fair on the man who'd miss out by giving him the place based on nostalgia rather than merit.
    According to a report after the Tokyo marathon, Geb said he might have another shot at a fast time in order to secure selection. Gonna be a really difficult task for him.

He lost his chance in 2008. He bought into the media hype surrounding the air quality in Beijing. They were always going to sort their sh1t out in time for the Olympics. Poor judgement call on his part.

When do the Ethiopian federation pick their team? They might have a chance of winning the marathon this year as the Kenyan selectors seem to be doing their best to make their selection as convoluted and drawn out as possible. It seems a bit nuts that their best guys are running marathons in April to try and get picked with the Olympics 4 months later.

When do the Ethiopian federation pick their team? They might have a chance of winning the marathon this year as the Kenyan selectors seem to be doing their best to make their selection as convoluted and drawn out as possible. It seems a bit nuts that their best guys are running marathons in April to try and get picked with the Olympics 4 months later.

Clutching at straws here. They have little to no chance. The Kenyans will be 1, 2 and 3.

Looks like Haile may have given up on competing in London. This is from his Twitter:
    After Tokyo I am a bit disappointed. Till 30k I was on my way to 2.05. It looks like my Olympic marathon dream is over.

• Advertisement

Castor Semenya started her 2012 season with a win in South Africa though in a time of 2.03.60 well outside the A standard. This was her first race since starting to work with new coach Maria Mutola.

The race between her Jelimo and Savinova could end up one of the great races of the Games

http://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/caster-semenya-wins-her-first-800-race-of-2012-but-time-outside-olympic-mark/2012/03/24/gIQAhdvAYS_story.html

Castor Semenya started her 2012 season with a win in South Africa though in a time of 2.03.60 well outside the A standard. This was her first race since starting to work with new coach Maria Mutola.

The race between her Jelimo and Savinova could end up one of the great races of the Games

http://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/caster-semenya-wins-her-first-800-race-of-2012-but-time-outside-olympic-mark/2012/03/24/gIQAhdvAYS_story.html

Don't rule out Jepkosgei also, she is a dark horse. Will be a must-see event and if home-favourite Meadows gets to the final, the atmosphere will be something else!

Don't rule out Jepkosgei also, she is a dark horse. Will be a must-see event and if home-favourite Meadows gets to the final, the atmosphere will be something else!

About 80% of people in the stadium will have never heard of Jenny Meadows before.

*sigh* :(

• Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭runjb

I wouldn't write off Castor Semenya on her opening performance of the year. I expect her to come back stronger than ever this year and be in with a shout for the Olympic gold. Not saying I'm a fan but just I have a sneaking suspicion she'll be back. Watch that time come down over the next few months.

runjb wrote: »
    I wouldn't write off Castor Semenya on her opening performance of the year. I expect her to come back stronger than ever this year and be in with a shout for the Olympic gold. Not saying I'm a fan but just I have a sneaking suspicion she'll be back. Watch that time come down over the next few months.

I think you misread the post, ecoli wasn't writing her off, he said that the contest between Semenya, Jelimo and Savinova should be immense:
    The race between her Jelimo and Savinova could end up one of the great races of the Games.

04072511 wrote: »
    About 80% of people in the stadium will have never heard of Jenny Meadows before.

*sigh* :(

Think your figures may be a little off as she gets a good bit of media on SSN and in any athletics meet shown on BBC/CH4.

In fairness British athletes are getting a good bit more time than usual on SSN in the build up and here being one of the more seasoned athletes of the team you might be surprised how many know her.

The glass is not always half empty.

@ runjb: Dan is right i was not writing her off especially when you read the article she talks about making the tactical error of sitting in and hoping the other athletes would push the pace. This is a tactic she implemented a good bit in DL races last year which worked immensely and still allowed for fast times given the quality of the fields

Think your figures may be a little off as she gets a good bit of media on SSN and in any athletics meet shown on BBC/CH4.

In fairness British athletes are getting a good bit more time than usual on SSN in the build up and here being one of the more seasoned athletes of the team you might be surprised how many know her.

The glass is not always half empty.

Oh plenty will know who she is alright but IMO most of those people will be sitting outside watching on the big screen I'm afraid.

04072511 wrote: »
    Oh plenty will know who she is alright but IMO most of those people will be sitting outside watching on the big screen I'm afraid.

Whether they know much about her or not, if a British athlete reaches the final and is in with a realistic chance of a medal, the crowd will get behind her and the noise will be incredible.

Anyone following the career of stupidly talented Kiwi Jacko Gill would probably be surprised that he wasn't picked in the first draft on New Zealanders for London. Only 4 picked outright with Gill part of another 5 who are 'pending'. He will certainly go barring injury but it's strange that they are making him wait a bit longer.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/other-sports/6634755/

• Advertisement

Anyone following the career of stupidly talented Kiwi Jacko Gill would probably be surprised that he wasn't picked in the first draft on New Zealanders for London. Only 4 picked outright with Gill part of another 5 who are 'pending'. He will certainly go barring injury but it's strange that they are making him wait a bit longer.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/other-sports/6634755/

I'd say the reason he hasn't been named yet is that he doesn't have the A-standard. He will most likely be picked even if he doesn't upgrade from the B-standard but I suppose the New Zealand athletics federation are following the correct procedure and hold off naming athletes with the B-standard because there is a possibility that someone else could get the A-standard in the mean time. They have another guy called Tom Walsh who could possibly get the A-standard in that event, highly unlikely with a P.B. of 18.83m, but given that he is only 20 he could make a big improvement this season. So they are just covering themselves from any embarrassing situation that could crop up because of this.

Advertisement