Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DAB in Waterford

Options
  • 06-05-2010 5:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭

One afternoon I decided to experiment and see if by any chance RTE had extended their DAB coverage to the Waterford/South-East area (Suir Valley or Mt Leinster).

When I scanned I picked up 'TotalDAB' rebroadcasting WLR FM, Beat and a placeholder 'Total' playing nature sounds. I wasn't the only one who noticed it though, someone on Radiowaves had spotted it too and posted a thread about it.

Turns out it's a research license and the mux is being run by Total Broadcast. So far there's 8 stations broadcasting in 192k

Total
    Total +
    WLR FM
    Beat
    South East Radio
    Country Mix
    Radio Kerry
    Tipp FM

I wonder if they could secure a permanent mux license..
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭RobitTV

IM Going to Waterford Tomorrow Cant wait this try this DAB Radio trial and it covers most of the city and also in some high places in Co.waterford you can get DAB Radio quite good cant wait to try this on my Portable DAB

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭Minstrel27

I wonder if it can be received in Dungarvan.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭RadioRetro

Should do, the TX is now on high ground and the coverage area is the five SE counties.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,153 ✭✭✭bkehoe

You might be able to get it on the high ground to the West of Dungarvan (e.g. out towards Ring, with a view to the North-East), but I really don't think you'd get it in the town even with an external antenna as the hills to the East will block the signal. But if you try then be sure to post your results; it has been received in North Co. Cork.

If testing with just a radio with a whip antenna, e.g. while walking around, then do try experimenting with the length of the antenna. Many DAB radios are dual DAB/FM and thus come with an antenna which can be extended longer than what is optimal for DAB. In my testing a length of about 43 - 46cm seems to deliver the best results.

How long are these tests expected to operate? I will need to buy a radio and was thinking of one with internet radio/FM/DAB all included (if one exists).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,374 ✭✭✭decies

Minstrel27 wrote: »
    How long are these tests expected to operate? I will need to buy a radio and was thinking of one with internet radio/FM/DAB all included (if one exists).

roberts 202 is your answer son.

Thanks Paw

• Registered Users Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭RadioRetro

Minstrel27 wrote: »
    How long are these tests expected to operate?

They have a one year research licence.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,374 ✭✭✭decies

RadioRetro wrote: »
    They have a one year research licence.

Isnt dab supposed to be spread to the south east by the end of year anyhow.
    http://www.digitalradio.ie/coverage.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 2,153 ✭✭✭bkehoe

South East corridor would to me suggest the N11 commuter belt of Dublin, e.g. Bray, Greystones, Wicklow, maybe Arklow. Achieved by upgrades to Kippure I guess. I don't think RTE have any short term plans to bring DAB to the South East.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,797 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Kippure was turned on some time ago, the coverage map there pre-dates it.

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭Guramoogah

What is the current situation regarding DAB in Waterford? Argos are currently selling a Bush DAB receiver for half price but there's no point in me buying one if there's no coverage in my region.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,319 ✭✭✭Trick of the Tail

The trial DAB service run by Total Broadcast is still on air, with 13 channels.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭beazee

From Total Broadcast website:
    April 2013
    The DAB test licence is again renewed for another year.

It seems dead now, especially as my DAB controlled radio clock went crazy 3 times since May.
    It finds 13 stations but says <<no signal>>

• Registered Users Posts: 1,319 ✭✭✭Trick of the Tail

The trial licence has expired for the moment, hopefully it'll be renewed shortly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,293 ✭✭✭Fuzzy Clam

The trial licence has expired for the moment, hopefully it'll be renewed shortly.

How about a pirate DAB ;)
    Would do it myself if i could get the gear cheap.

Advertisement