Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

(Another) New laptop recommendation

Options
  • 20-11-2008 11:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 279 ✭✭

Hey guess what, I'm looking to buy a laptop :). My budget would be around 1100 to 1200 euro max. I want a fairly high spec machine, and the 2 main requirements would be 17" screen and 4GB RAM, also possibly a blu-ray player (not essential). I don't have a destop and this would be my main machine so I don't mind it being big.

The main use I would have for it would be for work. We use virtual machines with Microsoft Virtual PC that are loaded with development environments and programming languages such as Visual Studio, .NET, SQL Server etc. VMs are very memory hungry so I'd need high speed RAM and also a high rpm disk drive.

I've checked Dell, dabs4work.ie, laptopsdirect.ie and a couple of others, but there's a bewildering array of models, combinations, specs, etc, and I end up getting lost between them all. So if anyone can recommend a good laptop and/or site to buy from I'd be grateful.

Also does anyone know if UK sites are cheaper, especially with the Sterling rate at the moment?

Cheers,

Ciaran.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭Hellm0

I went to pcmicroworks.com, got an edge(which is really a rebranded Clevo M620TU). Works well for the purpose(I also use VS 2008, SQL 2005 and all that) but not sure if its within budget.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 279 ✭✭aka_Ciaran

Alright Hellm0 how goes it? Thanks for that will look it up.

Do they deliver to Ireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭Hellm0

aka_Ciaran wrote: »
    Alright Hellm0 how goes it? Thanks for that will look it up.

Do they deliver to Ireland?

Howdy Ciaran, it goes well and you? Been a while ;)

That is a good question, I don't actually know. One word of warning though, the thing heats up like a bastard and has terrible battery life. So long as your OK with keeping it plugged in most of the time and using a laptop cooler it's a fine machine for development, fast as balls.

This thread has my specc's

• Registered Users Posts: 3,356 ✭✭✭seraphimvc

a 17'' meaning the machine will be huge and heavy,i suggest you try one in real for sure you really want that.

there is no point to have a huge screen with a crappy videocard,normally they match up the videocard with the right cpu,meaning that $$$$ if you want an up to date 17'' laptop.

you can take a look of some current 17'' here:
    http://www.notebookreview.com/price/default.asp?cmd=&callingPage=0

17'' with decent specs will cost you more than 1200+ i'd say.while i am shocked by this by komplett
    16'' VAIO bluray good price 1100+
    http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.aspx?sku=400736

if ya dont mind the bluray i think this is a bargain:
    http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.aspx?sku=400735 exactly the same spec without bluray

personally i have seen big screen laptop of HP from a friend,good solid build.

Advertisement