Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shotgun question

Options
  • 15-07-2014 3:32am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭

Hey lads
    Gonna be getting myself a shotgun soon enough now,was looking at the 870 and the baikail mp153

Anyone have any problems with these models?

Or any other suggestions? Either new or used

Budget of around €600,either semi auto or pump

Thanks lads

Chris

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭FISMA

chris20 wrote: »
    Hey lads
    Gonna be getting myself a shotgun soon enough now,was looking at the 870 and the baikail mp153

Hi Chris,
    I have the 870 and cannot say enough good things about it. I use it as a slug gun with a scope, not in Ireland.

I do not have the 153, but do have a Baikal. They are no-nonsense workhorses. Don't expect pretty wood or fine finish. However, beating about the fields, she'll do grand.

What do you want to do: trap, skeet, upland birds, waterfowl, or all of the above?

I like an auto for general merriment purposes. However, I have heard that some of the trap and skeet clubs do not allow them.

I prefer: an o/u for trap and skeet, a sxs for pheasants, an auto for waterfowl, and a single shot just for fun.

Of the two, I would go with the 870. There are so many parts available they are hard to turn down. However, consider that in the beginning, racking the firearm is a bit of a handicap.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭chris20

Thanks for the quick reply,I thought I was the only person awake :p ha

It's all for field work,so just looking for something reliable,not the prettiest of shotguns just once it does the job

• Registered Users Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭cookimonster

I have the MP153 and a pump action and although great fun to shoot I would recommend the auto for general all round work from clays to foxing.

The MP153 is a good but not so pretty work horse. Its shorter lenght of pull suits my short armed build, while the overall length is smooth to swing. The weight can be an issue for long days of rough shooting, but you will shoot it all day in a hide with no bother. Recently did a straight 50 bird compact with it and while others noticed sore shoulders I walked away unscathed.
    Once broken in (a simple and very short process) this gun will shoot any load with out adjustment. It is fast and reliable and I could count the number of malfunctions on one hand and still have fingers left over for neigh sayers who don't rate Baikels. If your not a diligent cleaner you will get away with hundreds of rounds before you notice the odd cycling problem with 28g loads. Shooting fibre wards will shorten the time span between cleans.
    Don't listen to the argument over clay grounds and no autos, I am still waiting for some to definitely say they where refused.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭FISMA

Thanks for the quick reply,I thought I was the only person awake :p ha

It's earlier in my time zone!
    It's all for field work,so just looking for something reliable

Hard to beat the reliability of the 870.

Can you find the 870 and 153 in stock somewhere? I bet you would pick a winner just by lifting and pointing the two. Every now and then I pick up a firearm that fits perfect and I know I'll fire well.

Try to find the two in stock so you can do a side by side (pun intended) comparison. Check out Dave Mulvihill in Ballymahon, he has a great stock.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭chris20

I'll have a look to see if I can find anywhere that has both :) thanks for the advice man much apreiacated

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭pastense

Only clay game where Autos are a problem is Trap (DTL,ABT,OT) at registered events and Driven game bird shooting but other than those they're the best all rounder without a doubt.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭juice1304

I have an 870 for the last number of years great gun, The only thing i replaced on it was the mim excractor for a milled steel one. Thats the only thing i don't like about them but they can be replaced for a factory milled one for about 3 euro.

Advertisement