Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MAC & Nintendo wifi

Options
  • 10-11-2005 1:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20,920 ✭✭✭✭

Hi,

I want to make my ibook wireless by buying a airport card for it. But can i share my internet connection using the wireless to my Nintendo DS. I don't want to buy base stations, just the card for my laptop.

I found this post on nintendo's wifi forum but no clear answer was given.

Hey. I have a mac and it has built in airport. After reading and talking to some of you on these forums, I get the impression that I can achieve a wi-fi hub from my labtop using airport to send my dsl signal to my DS. Sorry, if that sounds confusing. Basically I just enable internet signal sharing in the OSX sharing folder. I checked it out and it seems to be pretty easy and I think it will work. Anybody know any reason why this would not work? Cuz, it seems like a LOT of mac users have this option.

2nd ?: On the nintendowifi site it talks about WEP security. I saw this option in my mac where I could enter a password and aparently I just have to enter the same password into the DS in order to access the net. Sounds simple enough. Well, on the site it mentions two types of WEP encryption codes. One is hexa-something or 64 bit and the other is 128 bit I think. But it looks like the mac has 40 bit and 128 bit. The question is that on the mac it says to enter only 13 digits for the 128 bit password and for the nintendo site it says you enter 26. Basically, does anyone see any compatability problems???

I am afraid this has to be the nerdiest post on here yet. Sorry to bore you guys to death. But if anyone is a mac fiend and can shed some light on these questions that would be great. If I can get the DS to connect like this it would be the best. Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭colm_c

In a word YES this is very possible, you just need to turn on internet sharing System Preferences > Sharing and tick the airport box (once installed that is) then click on the options and enter the network name and the password.

There shouldn't be any problems since they're working off the same standard 802.11b / 802.11g

I think the range won't be great (I could be wrong here) but most wifi cards won't go more than 10-15 feet. which will mean your DS will have to be pretty close. plus you'll have to have your ibook on when you want play games online.

I'd advise getting some kind of base station (not necessarily an apple one) they're pretty cheap you can pick on up for under 60 euros from komplett
    http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.asp?sku=302509&cks=PRL

• Registered Users Posts: 875 ✭✭✭theothernt

Hi,

Actually the answer is NO. I'll explain why...

If you wish to share access between the wireless card in your Mac and the wireless card in the Nintendo DS - this is called Ad-hoc mode (ie. no wireless router / access point is used). This is not support by the Nintendo DS.

The Nintendo DS (and Sony PSP) does use Ad-Hoc mode but only when talking to other Nintendo DS's within 10 or 20ft of you.

A wireless router is required for internet access (ie. online play) with the Nintendo DS. Even Nintendo say this, check out their support site below for more info...

http://www.nintendowifi.com/customersupport/SupportHome.jsp

So, basically, get a wireless router. And don't worry about encryption, just read the manual, it will explain all!

- Neil

Advertisement