Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Heating Advice for Flats

Options
  • 28-05-2014 4:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I am potentially purchasing a terraced redbrick house in Dublin city that is split into 4 separate flats. Currently, the heating system (gas fired I think) serves the house as a whole and the landlord pays the bill (~10k/annum!!!), as people waste the heat when they do not have to pay for it.

If I purchase the property, I want to make each of the four units self-contained. The wiring in the property was recently re-done, so it has the day-night meters etc as far as I know. I was thinking I could put electric storage heaters in each apartment and electric showers and then each apartment would pay their own bills.

My question is, does anyone have any alternative suggestion? Perhaps it would be possible to leave the current system in place but have flow meters on the hot water pipes at the entry to each apartment?

Any advice appreciated.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 914 ✭✭✭shane 007

Gas systems in each with a combi boiler. 4 gas meters with each paying their own bills.
    People generally shy away from electrically heated apartments due to the inherent high running costs & poor performance. They are always a day away from the heat you require & working professionals want heat when they get home, not when they are at work which is when storage heaters give off their heat.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,496 ✭✭✭DGOBS

David, the house in fairness would need a site visit to look at the possibilities.
    If you went for gas in each, you'd end up repiping the heating system, and new gas lines and boilers to each apartment.

Possibly in this situation electric heating would be the simplest solution.
    Maybe electric showers and and under sink electric water heater for the kitchen

• Registered Users Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭Mr.David

Thanks for the advice guys

Advertisement