Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Coal / solid state fuel bargains

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Totalelf

Hi all, just saw this sign outside Athy, it's the Texaco/ Centra shop

Briquettes
    30 for €100
    10 for €34
    4 for €14

20 kg bags coal € 7.00

Might be of some use to people wanting to bulk buy, and no, I have no interest in the place, just past by everyday on my way to work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,708 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Buy lo are 3 for a €10 on Briquettes with a while.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

Local Builders Providers are selling BnM for 2 euro 99 cents..colection price.

No limit either.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭jameshayes

TJ O'Mahonys are doing the same;

311101_446982305363306_1315258410_n.jpg

TJ OMahonys....Overpriced on the coal and briquettes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

paddy147 wrote: »

Hi can you check that chadwicks leaflet for me to see how long the coal prices are valid until, if you still have it. Im interested in the €14.50 Hayes premium polish coal.

Was on their website looking for the leaflet but can't see it there.

Thanks

vicwatson wrote: »
    Hi can you check that chadwicks leaflet for me to see how long the coal prices are valid until, if you still have it. Im interested in the €14.50 Hayes premium polish coal.

Was on their website looking for the leaflet but can't see it there.

Thanks

I know,I have it all here infront of me (also posted pics of the coal before on this forum)..hense me saying TJs being overpriced.;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭bri007

anyone know if grange builder providers are still doing the BNM briguettes for 2.99 euro?

bri007 wrote: »
    anyone know if grange builder providers are still doing the BNM briguettes for 2.99 euro?

YES..see post 154 and pic above.;)

YES..see post 154 and pic above.;)

Thanks paddy :) cant beat 3 euro for the briguettes

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Aenaes

I don't see how. The Calco Flame coal is the same as the BnM Fireflame coal so there's only a 49 cent price difference. Add into that you get a free bag of Fireflame with every 10 bags purchased.

I know,I have it all here infront of me (also posted pics of the coal before on this forum)..hense me saying TJs being overpriced.;)

Thanks

Yeh I saw the pics already but just wondered about the date in which the offer ends.

So what date does it end? ;)

Thanks paddy :) cant beat 3 euro for the briguettes

Defintely not, have never seen them sub €3.00, great deal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭Daisy M

Can I just ask why do people use briquettes so much? Do you not find them expensive and that they give less heat. I use a few sometimes to completely burn down last bits of coal and thats it. I use piece of a firelog to start fire, much better than firelighters. I have an open fire are briquettes better in a stove?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 210 ✭✭mickydcork

Aenaes wrote: »
    I don't see how. The Calco Flame coal is the same as the BnM Fireflame coal so there's only a 49 cent price difference. Add into that you get a free bag of Fireflame with every 10 bags purchased.

Why do Bord Na Mona recommend not using Fireflame smokeless in a stove?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Aenaes

Daisy M wrote: »
    Can I just ask why do people use briquettes so much? Do you not find them expensive and that they give less heat. I use a few sometimes to completely burn down last bits of coal and thats it. I use piece of a firelog to start fire, much better than firelighters. I have an open fire are briquettes better in a stove?

I don't understand the fascination either. Horrible things that leave a huge pile of ash every morning.
    mickydcork wrote: »
    Why do Bord Na Mona recommend not using Fireflame smokeless in a stove?

I'm not sure. Perhaps because it's a smokeless fuel with a pet coke mixture? I know people who use it in their stoves and they find it works decent enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Vince1974

I use briquettes on a regular basis too but think they're pretty expensive and indeed leave behind a lot of ash. I suppose people use them so much because they burn pretty easily and you can get them everywhere.

Still looking for a great deal on hardwood, in my opinion the nicest fires, with little to no ash left in the morning in the stove.

vicwatson wrote: »
    Thanks

Yeh I saw the pics already but just wondered about the date in which the offer ends.

So what date does it end? ;)

This Saturday,as far as I can remember..(I can fnd out off them in the morning though).

Granges offer on the briquettes (2 euro 99 cents per bale) was due to end this month,but thats now been extended till the end of the year,according to the chap up there this morning.

Vince1974 wrote: »
    I use briquettes on a regular basis too but think they're pretty expensive and indeed leave behind a lot of ash. I suppose people use them so much because they burn pretty easily and you can get them everywhere.

Still looking for a great deal on hardwood, in my opinion the nicest fires, with little to no ash left in the morning in the stove.

184 bales for 400 euro.:D

Works out at 2 euro 17 cents per bale.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭dfbemt

Jesus Christ Paddy.

We know all about the 184 bales....down the docks......a friends da......same pics as before.

Change the record for Gods sake.............

Yes, you do provide some great info about the Garden, DIY and Bargains but not the same stuff over and over and over and over and over.

Rant over :o

• Advertisement

dfbemt wrote: »
    Jesus Christ Paddy.

We know all about the 184 bales....down the docks......a friends da......same pics as before.

Yes, you do provide some great info about the Garden, DIY and Bargains but not the same stuff over and over and over and over and over.

Well someone isnt in the festive mood.

I never ever mentioned the docks either.:p

Jesus Christ Paddy.

Just for you.....taken yesterday morning.

did you order all that?how much did that set you back?any recommendations on where to get fire logs cheap?

did you order all that?how much did that set you back?any recommendations on where to get fire logs cheap?

Read the thread for answers;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 210 ✭✭mickydcork

SnowDrifts wrote: »
    First - "a tonne bag" is just the name put on the bag in which the logs are delivered in. The weight of the logs is not a tonne.

Second - Don't waste your money on kiln dried logs.

Third - Look to get well seasoned hard wood logs. That means, they must be let season for approx. 2 years (depending on the wood) after they have been cut. A good price for a "tonne bag" of the above, would be €50-60.

*Edit* The reason I think kiln dried logs are a waste of money is because they burn too quickly and your paying an extra premium for this privilege. Also, I have found that seasoned logs with a moisture content of 20% tends to be the perfect number.

You seem to know a good bit about buying hardwood logs Snowdrift.

Where do you buy yours?

This Saturday,as far as I can remember..(I can fnd out off them in the morning though).

Granges offer on the briquettes (2 euro 99 cents per bale) was due to end this month,but thats now been extended till the end of the year,according to the chap up there this morning.

For others - the offer ends today Nov 30th

Couldn't buy any of the smokey coal as its illegal for them to sell it as they are in a no smokey coal zone !! Thanks Mary Harney !:) They had an enlarged brochure at the entrance but the yellow hayes coal was blanked out with a sticker.

Darnn good value considering the next one is around 17 euro a bag

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,733 ✭✭✭SnowDrifts

mickydcork wrote: »
    You seem to know a good bit about buying hardwood logs Snowdrift.

Where do you buy yours?

I got a trailer load delivered last year. Semi seasoned beech, heaped, 10x6ft ifor williams for €160. Wicklow delivery only I think. Approx 4 tonne bags quantity wise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 871 ✭✭✭TPM

premium coal £220 /270 euro per ton pallet

household coal £205 / 254 euro per ton pallet

doubles coal £195 / 235 euro per ton

all pallets can be bagged in 20kg bags with 50bags with 1 ton on pallet or 40kg bags with 40 bags 1.6 ton on pallet

http://www.donedeal.ie/for-sale/heating/4196084

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭Daisy M

That amount would probably only last me around 10 weeks if I burnt them on their own. Where as the same amount of money would buy me enough coal to do me around 14 weeks and heat the back boiler much better thus saving on oil!!
    So if briquettes at that price are still more expensive than coal I hate to think how much less economical they are at full price.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭Justask

Probably mentioned already but not going through 14 pages !

Got 2 40kg bags of black diamond for €32 today in buy lo in the Royal Liver Retail park.
    Cheapest I've seen
    (Great shop loads of bargains)

Well someone isnt in the festive mood.

I never ever mentioned the docks either.:p

What festive mood. It's only November !! Bah humbug.

I know you didn't mention the docks, not today anyhow. Yesterday maybe, tomorrow possible but you will mention it. Go on, go on, go on, go on, go on, go on.......

;)

What festive mood. It's only November !! Bah humbug.

I know you didn't mention the docks, not today anyhow. Yesterday maybe, tomorrow possible but you will mention it. Go on, go on, go on, go on, go on, go on.......

;)

Ive never mentioned the docks.
    But heres a few more pics....and all just for you.:P

Prices in Grange.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,927 ✭✭✭paddyp

Aenaes wrote: »
    I'm not sure. Perhaps because it's a smokeless fuel with a pet coke mixture? I know people who use it in their stoves and they find it works decent enough.

Pet coke can get up to extreme temperatures and warp/ damage stove components.

Re: Briquettes

Good for keeping the fire overnight. At 3 euro per bale they're not bad value.

2.80 a bale would make them on a par in terms of energy cost with the coal I buy. If coal is expensive in your area then at 3 euro a bale they may be cheaper than coal.

Bale briquettes 12.5kg: 62kWh@€3 = 4.84c per kwh
    Bale briquettes 12.5kg: 62kWh@€3.30 = 5.32c per kwh
    Decent polish coal 40kg: 288kWh@€13.50 = 4.69c per kwh
    Decent polish coal 40kg: 288kWh@ €14.50 = 5c per kwh
    Decent polish coal 2x20kg: 288kWh@ €16 = 5.55c per kwh

I sometimes use briquettes to keep the fire overnight, two will keep it happily for 12 hours. Ash is no problem here - feck it onto the field next door :-p The arigna ecoglow I'm using now seems to keep the fire overnight anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,058 ✭✭✭finnharpsboy

Justask wrote: »
    Probably mentioned already but not going through 14 pages !

Got 2 40kg bags of black diamond for €32 today in buy lo in the Royal Liver Retail park.
    Cheapest I've seen
    (Great shop loads of bargains)

i can beat that, two 40kg bags of black diamond for €27 just around the corner from buy lo in jfk industrial estate

• Closed Accounts Posts: 85 ✭✭harolds57

Doyels of shamrock carlow selling 2 40kg easiflame union nuggets for €22. anyone burn this in a stove ? Whats it like. Mainly burning logs myself but nice to trow on a bit of coal now and again. Just finished a bag of super brite, burned well and nice heat but dear enough €16.50 a bag.

• Advertisement

EEC Hardware in Santry and Balbriggan are doing BNM Briquettes for €2.99 a bale, maximum of 10 per customer.

Bought 20 bales in 2 seperate transactions. I wanted 10 and 10 for my parents (honest) and they had no problem with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 761 ✭✭✭Agent_47

harolds57 wrote: »
    Doyels of shamrock carlow selling 2 40kg easiflame union nuggets for €22. anyone burn this in a stove ? Whats it like. Mainly burning logs myself but nice to trow on a bit of coal now and again. Just finished a bag of super brite, burned well and nice heat but dear enough €16.50 a bag.

Like having a 15 watt bulb to read by. These union nuggets give out no heat compared to coal, they glow all night and will still glow in your face the following morning. Am having to draw heat out of them with large log on a bed of coals. Cannot wait to get rid of the last bag of them and then to start on ecobrite or phurnicite

• Closed Accounts Posts: 85 ✭✭harolds57

Agent_47 wrote: »

Like having a 15 watt bulb to read by. These union nuggets give out no heat compared to coal, they glow all night and will still glow in your face the following morning. Am having to draw heat out of them with large log on a bed of coals. Cannot wait to get rid of the last bag of them and then to start on ecobrite or phurnicite

Thanks for that, you saved me €22

Agent_47 wrote: »

Union nuggets are lignite theyre about the 19MJ/kg versus 26MJ/kg for premium polish coal and 32MK/kg for ecobrite/phurnacite. TONS of ash!
    Basically almost exactly the same as burning BNM briquettes except with BNM briquettes more of the money stays in Ireland.
    Another reason to pick ecobrite over phurnacite you're keeping Irish people in business.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

harolds57 wrote: »

Read the second last post in this thread.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056777151

Have heard very god reviews from other people.

• Advertisement

Super-Rush wrote: »
    Read the second last post in this thread.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056777151

Have heard very god reviews from other people.

If you're thinking of burning petrocoke in stove you should be aware.

Waterford Stanley:
    Do not use fuels with a Petro-coke ingredient as this may cause the grate to overheat, causing damage.

Hunter:
    Warning! - Petroleum coke fuels or household waste must not be burnt on our appliances.

Stovax:
    Burning some fuels such as petroleum coke or other fuels containing a blend of petroleum coke will invalidate your warranty.

Charnwood:
    PETROLEUM COKE IS NOT
    SUITABLE FOR USE ON THIS
    APPLIANCE, ITS USE WILL
    INVALIDATE THE GUARANTEE

Emme esse do seem to allow mixing it with other fuels:
    Easy to light and to control, its exceptional heat and lack of protective
    ash mean that it is MUST NOT be used unless mixed with
    another fuel. Grate and firebar life will be drastically reduced
    when using petroleum coke

paddyp wrote: »

Waterford Stanley:
    Do not use fuels with a Petro-coke ingredient as this may cause the grate to overheat, causing damage.

Hunter:
    Warning! - Petroleum coke fuels or household waste must not be burnt on our appliances.

Stovax:
    Burning some fuels such as petroleum coke or other fuels containing a blend of petroleum coke will invalidate your warranty.

Charnwood:
    PETROLEUM COKE IS NOT
    SUITABLE FOR USE ON THIS
    APPLIANCE, ITS USE WILL
    INVALIDATE THE GUARANTEE

Thank the lord jesus that someone else has posted this too.

I said the same thing before in the past,and I was told I was wrong.

Just like I also said that you are not to burn heat logs in a stove,,as it says in fine print on the heat log packaging......."not to be used in closed appliences".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,708 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Just like I also said that you are not to burn heat logs in a stove,,as it says in fine print on the heat log packaging......."not to be used in closed appliences".

Whats the deal there Paddy? Why are those logs a no no for closed appliences?

Whats the deal there Paddy? Why are those logs a no no for closed appliences?

Residue buildup in the stove and flue/liner.

• Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭theduffer

paddyp wrote: »

Waterford Stanley:

Hunter:

Stovax:

Charnwood:
    PETROLEUM COKE IS NOT
    SUITABLE FOR USE ON THIS
    APPLIANCE, ITS USE WILL
    INVALIDATE THE GUARANTEE

Im burning Colombian premium coal at the moment in an esse stove, where would i get information on wheither it contains pet coke or not?

theduffer wrote: »
    Im burning Colombian premium coal at the moment in an esse stove, where would i get information on wheither it contains pet coke or not?

I doubt it has, columbian coal you get here is usually pretty good probably because the good stuff is at the coast and easier to export.

Pet-coke if its not briquetted usually has a has a granular appearance a bit like clumps of of welding spatter. It looks more like its been shot out of a volcano than compressed underground for millions of years. It has almost no ash 0.5%

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,058 ✭✭✭finnharpsboy

Just been into ABS building supplies all the nuggets are gone they now have bord na mona fireflame smokeless same price 40kg for €13.50

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭Carley353

Grange Builders Providers & EEC Hardware in Santry are now displaying a price of €3.95 for a bale of briquettes, presumably as a result of the carbon tax increase on fuel :(

Carley353 wrote: »
    Grange Builders Providers & EEC Hardware in Santry are now displaying a price of €3.95 for a bale of briquettes, presumably as a result of the carbon tax increase on fuel :(

No they're just doing the typical irish post budget gouging ba$tard cary on:

a) Carbon tax is to be 10 euro per ton = 12.5c / bale of briquettes.

Wrong see here: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=82116832&postcount=210

b) Its not going to be applied until May 2013

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

I thought that carbon tax did not come into effect until 01/05/2013:confused:.

• Advertisement
Advertisement