Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

would you try crystal meth?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 645 ✭✭✭TheHighRoad

From what I've heard from someone involved in customs its being attempted to be brought in by West Africans gangs. Apparently its already on Moore Street. Reliable source but can't say I've seen it and I used to walk through there every day

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

Yet more benefits of letting third worlders into out country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,474 ✭✭✭Crazy Horse 6

As someone who has lived in America, meth has truly terrified me.

People here complain about our heroin junkies, who are normally placid, relaxed and can barely throw a punch. If you say no to giving them change they are normally so high that they are appreciative that you even answer them.

The average meth addict is hyped up, paranoid and extraordinarily aggressive. The lack of sleep that addicts suffer from makes them go literally insane. If that stuff hits here, Dublin will become VERY dangerous VERY quickly. I pray to god that stuff never reaches here.

You should get a job with sky news with sensational writing like that. I lived in the states for years and tbh very few people do meth. The ones that do crash and burn a lot quicker than the average junkie which is a good thing imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,351 ✭✭✭Orando Broom

We need to propagate a uniquely Irish slang for Meth. Something like Bosco Rocks or Marty Morrissey (bug eyed and a pest) shortened to Marty.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭Donald_ducked

I'd try it to see what all the fuss is about

Using the extreme cases of addiction in people to base your judgements is generally a bad idea

I have walked into bars in Ireland and witnessed some of the most tragic cases of alcoholism you could imagine, men slumped at a bar with not a glimmer of hope in their lives

Does it make me not want to touch alcohol? No, because the extreme cases are a rarity

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,474 ✭✭✭Crazy Horse 6

Conor108 wrote: »
    It always had the best Anti-drugs adverts [Probably NSFW]

Lol

• Registered Users Posts: 3,351 ✭✭✭Orando Broom

charlemont wrote: »
    No, I'm too boring now to even bother with it, Hash and Weed do me fine.

They put Meth in the hash and weed, so they do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,341 ✭✭✭El Horseboxo

I tried it by mistake once a few years ago. Was at a party with a bunch of people from my childhood while back visiting in the US. Was about 6 in the morning and i was wrecked tired. This fella i was talking to took out a pipe and began taking hits. As i was fit for bed i said i'd take some thinking it was weed. Chap just looked like a stoner. So took 2 quick hits and then began coughing really bad. Knew straight away it wasn't weed and asked what it was. He says crystaaaaaal. I was still wide awake at 2am the following night without sleeping. 2 hits and i was flying all day. Felt really queasy at first but then a weird energetic calmness. Never tried it again, no urge or addiction.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,847 ✭✭✭HavingCrack

[

Using the extreme cases of addiction in people to base your judgements is generally a bad idea

I have walked into bars in Ireland and witnessed some of the most tragic cases of alcoholism you could imagine, men slumped at a bar with not a glimmer of hope in their lives

Does it make me not want to touch alcohol? No, because the extreme cases are a rarity

To be fair though, I lived in America for a bit as well and didn't see or hear of any 'recreational' meth users. It isn't in the same category as alcohol because it's not something you sit around and do with friends for fun, it's a drug that becomes addictive very quickly. I don't have the stats to hand but the percentage of people who try alcohol and develop addiction is a hell of a lot lower than those who use meth and crack.

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭Fizgig Bandicoot

ScumLord wrote: »
    You should watch a documentary called reefer madness, apparently cannabis makes you jump out windows. You can always tell how dangerous a drug is by how much it makes you want to jump out windows.

If they want to guarantee people won't use meth just let them take the drugs meth is a substitute for.

That reefer madness is a shocking film. That's why I abstain from marijuana, or 'Mary-Jane' as I believe those hippie fellas call it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,647 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

Yet more benefits of letting third worlders into out country.
    What?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭Oh_Noes

They put Meth in the hash and weed, so they do.

Only in that crazy new "skunk" hash that's 500% stronger than it used to be and makes everyone schizophrenic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 670 ✭✭✭Naomi00

Lol no way.

Crystal meth is so scummy, ~hilbillys in America cook it up from stuff from a DIY shop, and that's all they do all day, is cook meth and take the stuff. It makes your teeth melt because it's so toxic. And the fumes from cooking it are highly poisonous, therefore you'd need to be really desperate or really stupid to take meth.

Look at any article on Cracked.com about meth to see what 'reputation' it has, they're really funny but kinda sad because that's all the people addicted to it can do all day.

Edit: here's a link http://www.cracked.com/blog/5-ways-methamphetamine-can-make-you-new-person/ funny but honest take on what it does. Nobody uses this as a 'recreational' drug, it's used out of desperation because they can't afford to buy the drugs they were originally addicted to etc. Maybe only in a country where it was 'new', e.g if people are defending it being used in Ireland and saying that it's recreational, I would imagine that that is because it hasn't built up a reputation here yet, and the effects aren't widely known here. It seems to be a really horrbile drug anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,033 ✭✭✭✭bnt

Anyone remember The Smashing Pumpkins? Someone needs to tell former bassist D'Arcy that your horses don't care that you're a tweaker, and neither do the police. :rolleyes:

PS: to answer the question: only if I was terminally ill and needed some cheap thrills.

Death has this much to be said for it:
    You don’t have to get out of bed for it.
    Wherever you happen to be
    They bring it to you—free.

— Kingsley Amis

lastlaugh wrote: »
    In fairness, she ended up looking just as bad as she did when she started.

Lost a little weight in between though.

I think the one on the bottom left is the final picture, there's an arrow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 413 ✭✭The Left Hand Of God

Typical media and uniformed people hysteria.

Like most things it is OK in moderation.

It's not, do you know anything about it? (serious question I'm not trying to insult you)

It's not the usual long term effects arguement, the people who use it are normally already addicted to something else but can't afford to buy it, so they cook up meth. It's poison. I'm sure if you asked the opinion of someone from a country where it's more widely used than here they wouldn't have such a tolerant view of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Fremen

CaSCaDe711 wrote: »
    In light if the recent 2.5kg meth haul, I think now it's definitely time our laws were changed and jail sentences were lenghtened. Fcuk early release, good behaviour etc etc, anyone involved in importing / producing / dealing meth amphetamine in our country should get life, no ifs, buts, nothing :mad:

If you've got some evidence that that would reduce meth consumption, I'd love to see it.

It's just a matter of supply and demand. Whenever there is demand, there will be supply. Best way to stop people using crystal meth is to allow them access to a less dangerous substitute.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,504 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

At 100 grand a kilo it must be good, right?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,700 ✭✭✭dasdog

I was given a bag of it years ago from a friend who didn't like it (she was seriously in to speed and whiskey/vodka) after arriving back from a hedy summer in Holland not knowing much about but it I knew I wouldn't have a regular supply afterwards. So I did small lines of it over the course of a few days, mostly in the mornings before going to college and I found it to be fairly productive. Had a habit formed of course it could be a different scenario.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,151 ✭✭✭✭beertons

I'd like to try it once. It's probably the best time you can have on it, like all the other things I have tried.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭brendansmith

So Crystal Meth has reached Ireland then. Its all down hill from here.
    And judging by some of the attitudes on here so far, we are in big trouble.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭ringadingding

I tried it once 4-5 years ago, me and a girl took a wrap between us, never, ever been so high, it was a bit much, it was too rushy, said never again when had to have a week off work for the come down.

I was a very seasoned drug taker at the time, and never got the urge to try it again.

It was 25 a wrap, we done less than half of it and was ****ed for hours and couldn't find the other half in our high blind fumblings

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭dark crystal

I messed around with recreational drugs in my younger days. Hash, ecstasy, coke every now and then, speed occasionally...but when you're talking about the hard sh!t like crystal meth, heroin, crack etc., you're asking for trouble.

Seriously, who wants to take the chance on getting addicted to that stuff? It's pure evil.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,537 ✭✭✭KKkitty

They're not put in the same standing. Cannabis is a class C drug while meth is class A.
    Cannabis is still labelled as an illegal substance just like the aforementioned crystal meth.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭onlyrocknroll

AnonoBoy wrote: »
    I blame that show Breaking Bad.

It's making all the kids cook meth, just like that film Pretty Woman turned millions of young girls into whores.

Reminds of the time I watched a film called Transamerica.

I made some very bad life choices that night...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,847 ✭✭✭HavingCrack

I wonder why they bothered trying to smuggle it into Ireland at all. Surely it would be easier and far, far less risky just to produce it here? That's the whole point of meth, it's very easy to make with common household substances and a basic knowledge of chemistry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,012 ✭✭✭uch

I messed around with recreational drugs in my younger days. Hash, ecstasy, coke every now and then, speed occasionally...but when you're talking about the hard sh!t like crystal meth, heroin, crack etc., you're asking for trouble.

Seriously, who wants to take the chance on getting addicted to that stuff? It's pure evil.

Me, Giz a go boss,,, pleeeeaaaaase boss

(acting the maggot)

21/25

I wonder why they bothered trying to smuggle it into Ireland at all. Surely it would be easier and far, far less risky just to produce it here? That's the whole point of meth, it's very easy to make with common household substances and a basic knowledge of chemistry.

It's dangerous to make it because it explodes and the fumes are deadly. I'd imagine they're importing it because it's not for their own use and don't want to risk lab explosions etc?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,116 ✭✭✭starviewadams

'Yaba' has been for sale in a few pubs around the Parnell/Moore Street area for years,for every lad the Gardai catch there's at least 20-30 fella's that walk away from the airport scott free.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,012 ✭✭✭uch

Yeah but it burns and makes your Kitchen explode

21/25

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,848 ✭✭✭Andy-Pandy

Do you know anyone thats had a meth addiction? i do, more than one and there stories are horrible. I think youll find that its the people who are informed about the drug that are the ones that are so aghast at the prospect of it hitting ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,388 ✭✭✭Kernel

Anyone who 'tries' heroin, crack or meth are idiots.

Anyone who uses those or any other illegal drug are funding criminals, and adding to the crime & drugs epidemic in Ireland. /end of.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,889 ✭✭✭evercloserunion

I've only ever heard horrible, horrible stories about it. It seems similar to heroin in that respect. Doesn't seem like it's possible to enjoy it a few times without it f*cking you up for a long time.

If meth has come to Ireland then we are really f*cked. Just look at how badly we have handled the heroin epidemic in Dublin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

TheBunk1 wrote: »

Saw a lot of users like this around St. Kilda in Melbourne. Its a huge problem over there. Rotten.
    Question was would you try it, not would you give over a decade to it's abuse!
    Wasn't britney on meth for a while? She still looks just about do-able don't you think?

Not sure about Britney but Fergie from The Black Eyed Peas was addicted to the stuff. Probably why she got so much plastic surgery, to correct her face after it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭AudreyHepburn

No, not if you paid me. It just is not worth the risk, no drugs are.

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭Jack Daniels I

my mate gave me 2 big lines of what he thought was coke lastnite.he got his bags of coke and ketamine mixed up.i made it to the pub across the street and within 10 mins was rolling around the floor like a crazy,much to the horror of my friends and the other patrons.mental buzz but not very sociable!
    so yeah id prob try crystal

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭charlemont

Your right too, Just looking at drugs can kill !!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Scientologist?

• Advertisement

I've always said if I reach the ripe old age of 90 I'd try heroin, so why not crystal meth? I mean i've done all I can by the time I'm 90, and I won't have many years/months/days left in me. How cool would it be for my grankids to tell their friends "granny died of an overdose":D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭saywhatyousee

Why go out side you could get ran over by a car ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭westies4ever

looks like a serious high - scary stuff - dont think i'd try it!

http://youtu.be/RFjzzyG3Rfg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,940 ✭✭✭4leto

Absolutely not,

But I don't know if the effects are exaccerated, the pictures I seem of meths deterioration IMO are no worse then what heroine addiction would do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

Nah, I don't like energetic buzzes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭jaffacakesyum

So you're using that comparison to using any drug recreationally? Seriously?

Alcohol is not as addictive as drugs like heroin or crystal meth.

There are many other factors involved, and of course alcoholism is a huge problem, but that's the basics of it.

Before all the drug users jump on me, no I'm not someone who's 100% anti drugs yet I get hammered on alcohol every night so don't accuse me of that :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,768 ✭✭✭dmc17

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

stoneill wrote: »
    Why would anyone even consider taking it or any drugs?
    you really don't know?:eek: People have "appetites" for different things, be it food, sex or experiencing altered states of conciousness. People can have varying degrees of such things, some end up overweight, oversexed, junkies/alcos. I know thin people with low appetites who do not like eating particularly much, but they can certainly accept the concept that others do fully enjoy it and can overindulge, some might moan about it but I have never heard them saying that nobody could enjoy food. I expect a celibate nun could accept people enjoy sex though she may have little or no sex drive.

Many people have a deep rooted fear of altered states of conciousness, some religions would have it drilled into you and you just grow up thinking it is normal, I have only met one guy who I knew never drank (could know others who never said it), he was utterly scared of losing control under any intoxicant, he fully accepted that others liked it and never preached to anybody though.
    iPwnage wrote: »
    actually surprised its taken so long to get here...
    I'd say its here years, heard talk of it 18 years ago here, not much heard since as it is not probably not as bad as its made out to be. Of course there are recreational users, just do a search on other forums. Weird that some people do not question the propaganda when you have seen it trotted out before so many times and it proved exagerrated.
    Research published in the medical journal The Lancet rates the most dangerous drugs (starting with the worst) as follows:
    1. Heroin
    2. Cocaine
    3. Barbiturates
    4. Street methadone
    5. Alcohol
    6. Ketamine
    7. Benzodiazepines
    8. Amphetamine
    9. Tobacco

10. Buprenorphine
    11. Cannabis
    12. Solvents
    13. 4-MTA
    14. LSD
    15. Methylphenidate
    16. Anabolic steroids
    17. GHB
    18. Ecstasy
    19. Alkyl nitrates
    20. Khat

Kernel wrote: »
    Anyone who uses those or any other illegal drug are funding criminals, and adding to the crime & drugs epidemic in Ireland. /end of.
    Not "end of", what about those taking them who have nothing to do with criminals. People who grow/make their own illegal drugs? reading this thread it seems you can knock meth up while waiting for your toast to pop. That criminal argument is a good reason for relegalization. You all do realise cocaine was quite popular in dublin when it was legal, kept pharmacists in good business.
    Seachmall wrote: »
    People are exaggerating it's dangers.

Tis just something small to get the kids to sleep.
    Its not used for sleep but methamphetamine is prescribed to kids in the US.

heres the US food & drug administration medication guide for it for kids where you can read dangers without the sensationalist hype of other government agencies
    http://www.fda.gov/downloads/Drugs/DrugSafety/ucm088582.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 3 gavd84

hope that dirt doesnt kick off over here ive been to places where its a problem and if u think junkies or crack heads are bad - well u aint seen nutin yet. they shud execute the fella that was caught wit it and anyone else who tries honestlt its that bad.
    and im not preachin i do drugs and have probly tried jus about the lot of them and nearly smoked some meth(ice) once in a crazy drunken night but thank god i didnt

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Nope. I'm not anti drugs, but asking me whether I'd use it is like asking me whether I'd smoke crack or use heroin. I just wouldn't - the horror stories aren't scare-mongering, they're a reality.

Some people, in particular circumstances, succumb to these though, and I wouldn't always judge them - unless they're making life a misery for others. It's ****ing depressing what those filthy substances have done to whole communities... :(

Advertisement