Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Babadook

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

Watched it tonight.

Enjoyed it I must say, not scary per se, somewhat unsettling, outstanding performances from the two leads.

Australia has taken over a bit after the renaissance in Europe for a couple of years as a new hub for original, quality horror movies.

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭OldeCinemaSoz

The problem is that the babadook dosen't know what it wants to be. It's concept is like that rubbish HOUSE OF THE DEVIL,
    all fascinating build up and then turn back payback and the like. No point in that. NO point TURNING TAIL at THE END.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 477 ✭✭The Strawman Argument

As someone who really loves pop-up books, all I can say after seeing this is "I WANT THAT BOOK!"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,551 ✭✭✭Goldstein

As someone who really loves pop-up books, all I can say after seeing this is "I WANT THAT BOOK!"

http://thebabadook.com/

If that thing came out of Christmas wrapping paper I would crap myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭davidrowe

I liked the ending myself. I won't spoil of course, so I'll just say that I thought the ending was really quite unexpected, and fitted in with the overall theme of the film quite well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

davidrowe wrote: »
    I liked the ending myself. I won't spoil of course, so I'll just say that I thought the ending was really quite unexpected, and fitted in with the overall theme of the film quite well.

I'm in two minds about it.
    I like the idea that the Babadook is still a presence in her life because she will never be fully rid of the trauma of her husband's death. I just wish they dealt with the metaphor a little differently - having her feed the creature was just a bit jarring for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭Manchegan

RT @WilliamFriedkin
    I've never seen a more terrifying film than THE BABADOOK. It will scare the hell out of you as it did me.
    2014-12-01 02:14

• Registered Users Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭dark crystal

I have just watched this film and I am still shaken by it. The feeling of dread that creeps up on you as the film goes on doesn't let up at all. Essie Davies is outstanding in the lead role.

It reminded me of Polanski's Repulsion quite a lot. An emotionally damaged woman losing her mind, seeing visions, having disturbing night terrors and the whole claustrophobic element of self imposed confinement.

Reading the news over the last few days, it brings home just how films like this are not just dark fairytales dreamed up from a writer's imagination. Mothers jumping from bridges with their newborns is horrific, but it happens. Mental illness can be scarier than any boogeyman hiding under your bed or in your wardrobe. Dark stuff indeed.

Give me an intelligent psychological horror over your tired jump scare, found footage type cliches any day.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,065 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

I was disappointed by it to be honest. It's still a hundred times better than garbage like The Conjuring but I was expecting a lot more. At least it was original and didn't rely on the tired old quiet quiet bang formula. The Borderlands is the best horror of 2014 for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,551 ✭✭✭Goldstein

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭SimonTemplar

Australia has taken over a bit after the renaissance in Europe for a couple of years as a new hub for original, quality horror movies.

I'm fairly immune to horror but all Australian horror makes we weary after Wolf Creek - that movie has completely ruined the accent for me. It's like The Hills Has Eyes meets Alf Stewart!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭Warper

Easily the best horror of the year and by miles

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭leggo

I'm in two minds about it.
    I like the idea that the Babadook is still a presence in her life because she will never be fully rid of the trauma of her husband's death. I just wish they dealt with the metaphor a little differently - having her feed the creature was just a bit jarring for me.

I took that to mean
    that she was nurturing and caring for her grief where she had just let it run wild in the past.
    The final act would be a bit silly if you took it literally, but I don't think it's meant to be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 247 ✭✭happysunnydays

I haven't seen this film but...

Mark Kermode says this is his favourite film of 2014 and he is always spot on.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,881 ✭✭✭WHIP IT!

Very good acting from two leads...
    Interesting first hour, well-paced with nicely built tension...
    Awful, non-frightening monster who
    makes crank calls apparently (or does he?? yawn)
    Terrible, terrible ending...
    One of those films that some people will claim to "get" to sound like intellectual movie buffs...
    Fact is, they just lost their way and, as others have said, didn't know whether they had a 'Boo!' movie or something that told a story about a vulnerable member of society and her many demons.. in the end, they had neither...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 Conriocht

"Fact is"??

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭leggo

WHIP IT! wrote: »
    One of those films that some people will claim to "get" to sound like intellectual movie buffs...
    Fact is, they just lost their way and, as others have said, didn't know whether they had a 'Boo!' movie or something that told a story about a vulnerable member of society and her many demons.. in the end, they had neither...

It's not a claim of 'getting it' or not. The ending answered all questions, from what I could see. What questions or flaws did you have about it? Like you're entitled to dislike it, I just don't see where exactly they lost their way and have known a couple of people who've changed their minds when it was explained to them.*

*Though this tends to never happen on the Internet as people often get stubborn and don't like to backtrack once they write their opinions in public. You never know, maybe I or someone could help you appreciate it, I'll live in hope!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

One of those films that some people will claim to "get" to sound like intellectual movie buffs... [...]

Is it not enough to say 'I didn't like this film' without dumping all over those who did, or interpreted the (honestly, fairly overt if not sometimes unsubtle) themes that were behind the film? PLay the ball, not the man.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,116 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

This type of comment is a discussion killer. Please try to discuss the film and not the people who did or did not like it, thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭rustyzip

Thinking of getting irish Netflix. Is this movie on it?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

rustyzip wrote: »
    Thinking of getting irish Netflix. Is this movie on it?

No, it's not on Irish Netflix at the minute. It is on US Netflix (but that wasn't what you asked).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

Great film.It terrified the sh1te out of me.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,526 Mod ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

Watched it last night, was expecting a horror film (which it really isn't), but enjoyed it all the same. Very grim rather than scary. Would put you off children.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,394 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

Watched it last night, was expecting a horror film (which it really isn't), but enjoyed it all the same. Very grim rather than scary. Would put you off children.

I also loved it but why would it put you off children?
    To me the child was an innocent victim of the mother's dark depression. The child just wanted to protect his mother and could see she was suffering.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,526 Mod ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

I also loved it but why would it put you off children?
    To me the child was an innocent victim of the mother's dark depression. The child just wanted to protect his mother and could see she was suffering.

Sorry, what I meant was the thoughts of having children.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,075 ✭✭✭The Golden Miller

Load of rubbish
    with a coward of a demon/spirit/bad guy hiding down in the basement at the end and too scared to come out.
    Load of rubbish

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭e_e

Load of rubbish
    with a coward of a demon/spirit/bad guy hiding down in the basement at the end and too scared to come out.
    Load of rubbish
    It's not to be taken literally.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,061 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Load of rubbish
    Load of rubbish

think you kinda missed the point.......

Advertisement