Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Terminator Genisys

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 85,023 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Jai Courtney is to play Kyle Reese and Jason Clarke will play John Connor

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Soft Falling Rain

Poor casting so far excluding Emilia Clarke. Unless they have come up with something mindblowing in terms of story I've no real interest in seeing this on the big screen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭Adamantium

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Jai Courtney is to play Kyle Reese

• Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Poor casting so far excluding Emilia Clarke. Unless they have come up with something mindblowing in terms of story I've no real interest in seeing this on the big screen.

Jason Clarke is a superb actor, and the best one announced for the film so far definitely. Clarke will do fine too.

Courtney on the other hand, well I'll wait and see, not overly enthused about that casting though.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Jai Courtney is Sam Worthington 2.0.

I find him to be incredibly bland.

• Advertisement

Personally I think it's great casting. Clarke is a fantastic talent and unlike Bale he's not the kind of actor whose going to force excessive rewrites so as to give him more screen time. Courtney isn't half bad either, while he's not had many chances to impress he was the best thing about the last Die Hard and is one of those immensely likeable actors. He may never be a Pacino or O'Toole but he's certainly a far better actor than anyone gas given him credit for so far

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 165 ✭✭Baze

Personally I think it's great casting. Clarke is a fantastic talent and unlike Bale he's not the kind of actor whose going to force excessive rewrites so as to give him more screen time. Courtney isn't half bad either, while he's not had many chances to impress he was the best thing about the last Die Hard and is one of those immensely likeable actors. He may never be a Pacino or O'Toole but he's certainly a far better actor than anyone gas given him credit for so far

Clarke I like and can understand the defense of but Jai Courtney? Seriously.

The guy is in serious need of a charisma transplant. To call him bland, does blandness itself an injustice.

A choppy non in sync fanmade trailer. Great concept and will get the imagination flowing.
    Really gets across the dramatic potential of the series without Arnold.
    When Biehn showed up, i was "I wish this was real, damn".

Makes me wonder what T3 could have been with Cameron on board.
    A complete trilogy

We'll never see it now.

Baze wrote: »
    Clarke I like and can understand the defense of but Jai Courtney? Seriously.

The guy is in serious need of a charisma transplant. To call him bland, does blandness itself an injustice.

He was good in Die Hard and Spartacus and hopefully this will give him an opportunity to show what he can do. He's not really had a role where's he's been allowed to be anything beyond gruff and imposing so best not to write him off just yet.

Duggy747 wrote: »
    Jai Courtney is Sam Worthington 2.0.

I find him to be incredibly bland.

He has zero charisma and no screen presence if that makes sense and unlike Sammy W isn't easy on the peepers imo :p

Boyd Holbrook was the other actor against him for the role of Kyle

• Advertisement

Pray we see the likes of this again in a modern Terminator movie. Everything about it. Genuinely terrifying, it's so meaty/analog/raw.
    One of the greatest unsympathetic on screen massacres in film history.

Cameron has made some good movies, but he only made one masterpiece.
    The following is probably my favourite scene of all time. The terrifying slow walk across the background, the cinematography, the zoning/blurring out of the music, what an adrenaline rush from something so eerie and dreamlike. The sounds of the gun, the looks,music. Pure goosebumps. Pure mastery.

I loved that 1984 Los Angeles felt it as dark and dingy as the future it would become.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

Not a hope that any hollywood studio will allow that again!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

It's a classic case of being a victim of its own success though; Terminator 1 had a tiny budget, no stars, little expectations and so all the creative freedoms that come with that, enabling a raw tale told with glorious analogue stylings; cue the millions of dollars from the box office, its lead becoming a household name, and decades worth of acclaim. It evolved into an A-list franchise and can never really go back to its 'indie' roots so to speak. Heck, even if it got handed over to a group of fans, there's an equally good chance it'd suffocate under misplaced affection - see the third Predator film for an example of that.

Matt Smith (Doctor Who) will play a new character with a strong connection to John Connor Source

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Matt Smith (Doctor Who) will play a new character with a strong connection to John Connor Source

Given Jason Clarke is John Connor, could MS be passable as his son? He can't be Reese as that is marked for Jai Courtney.

This is a very low-key reboot of a once huge series.

I remember with Salvation, they couldn't wait to play up and promote months beforehand up how it was like T1,T2 levels of "grit, DNA of those films".

They might have something very worthwhile here.

But holy hell, recreating scenes from the first two is something that is very dangerous creatively..

Adamantium wrote: »
    This is a very low-key reboot of a once huge series.

I remember with Salvation, they couldn't wait to play up and promote months beforehand up how it was like T1,T2 levels of "grit, DNA of those films".

They might have something very worthwhile here.

To be fair Salvation had a really interesting script and huge potential but the addition of Bale and the less talented Nolan brother saw the film altered drastically in order to have Bale front and center. Marcus was supposed to be at the forefront with John's role being small. Would have liked to see the film as originally intended as it did seem like they were trying to take a few risks but then opted to play it safe.

T1 retrospective. From the early 90's. Love Arnold's rambles.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭Jumboman

Does anyone know why cameron pulled out of making Terminator 3 ? in mid to late 90s he was planing to direct T3 but it never happened.

To be fair Salvation had a really interesting script and huge potential but the addition of Bale and the less talented Nolan brother saw the film altered drastically in order to have Bale front and center. Marcus was supposed to be at the forefront with John's role being small. Would have liked to see the film as originally intended as it did seem like they were trying to take a few risks but then opted to play it safe.

A few risks that would have made the film bomb even harder. Bale was not the problem, it was the man in the director's seat and it still perplexes me to this day how the **** he got that job.

• Advertisement

A few risks that would have made the film bomb even harder. Bale was not the problem, it was the man in the director's seat and it still perplexes me to this day how the **** he got that job.

I remember seeing the trailers and thinking "Wow, he can really prove the all the haters wrong, look past his name and music video background+Charlie's angels, the script won't let them down at the very least".

I remember wanting so desprately hard to look past the initials and he was aying all the right things. I then saw the bastardised and just plain boring movie that it was. 2018, my arse, how hard is to do the global future war finally, Saving Private Ryan style?

Older me has now realised that, If they did the future war war proper they'd have reached the series dead end so to speak, so instead they'll keep making movies to fill the gap without ever actually getting there to the final story of how SKYNET and the machines were beaten during a final mounted major assault one fateful night in 2029, time travellers sent back,complex destroyed. War is over, humanity moves on as best it can.

I think its a series that it fairly cut and dry story wise, the constant cock tease of time travelling faffing around is and anxiety of impending doom has been done and I doubt it can be bettered.

Jumboman wrote: »
    Does anyone know why cameron pulled out of making Terminator 3 ? in mid to late 90s he was planing to direct T3 but it never happened.

I think he was busy with Titanic and he sold the rights, he now say that he wish he could send himself back (ironically enough), and give it a post note "Don't sell".

I think this was around the time when he was gonna do Spiderman that he sold the rights. I think he was gonna do Spiderman then T3. After he found out the rights to Spiderman were going to Sony he just said "**** it" it and did Titanic as an excuse to go film the wreckage of the ship.

T2 was a definitive ending as you could get within the realms of that universe breaking its own internal laws (T2 itself might have been stretching it as well).

I known in T2 they had a much lengthier future war scene in the script where we the Resistance breaking into Cheyenne Mountain (NORAD SKYNET headquarters) on the night they win the war. Having lost, In a last ditch attempt to save itself, SKYNET sends back two terminators, one to kill Sarah Connor in 1984, the other to 1995.

Kyle Reese, the T-800 AND and another T800 and T-1000 been sent back in time in quick succession to their respective time periods (1984 and 1995). We see the circle been completed

The time displacment tech that SKYNET was working is then immedately destroyed by the Resistance, never to be used again or to fall into the hands of anybody else. War is over

A whole movie of that could be T3. A prequel and end to a complete trilogy

Nothing wrong with the direction in Salvation. It looked great and had a number of well realised set pieces. McG may have a stupid name and some terrible films behind him but he showed real promise with Salvation. The huge rewrites are what caused the film the most damage.

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭ps3lover

Nothing wrong with the direction in Salvation. It looked great and had a number of well realised set pieces. McG may have a stupid name and some terrible films behind him but he showed real promise with Salvation. The huge rewrites are what caused the film the most damage.

McG and the producers admitted these rewrites where to fit the PG13 rating. They stated that was a mistake.

ps3lover wrote: »
    McG and the producers admitted these rewrites where to fit the PG13 rating. They stated that was a mistake.

There were rewrites for a PG13 rating but I'm talking about the rewrites which saw John Connor go from having a minor role to being the star of the film. Before Bale was hired and the Nolan brought on at his insistence, the film was very much about Marcus with Connor living in a bunker and unseen for much of the film.

Here's two major aspects of the original script:

1. John Connor is a paranoid hermit who is little inspiration to the resistance. He ends up murdered easily enough only for his face to be grafted onto a machine who proves to be the real inspiration for the resistance.

2. Skynet are actually the good guys.

Two plot points that makes an absolute farce of what Cameron established.

Here's two major aspects of the original script:

1. John Connor is a paranoid hermit who is little inspiration to the resistance. He ends up murdered easily enough only for his face to be grafted onto a machine who proves to be the real inspiration for the resistance.

2. Skynet are actually the good guys.

Two plot points that makes an absolute farce of what Cameron established.

The Connor not being the folk hero he was supposed to was a far more interesting spin that what we got. Surely living your whole life with the knowledge that you must single handedly lead humanity to victory would take its tole on any man and it would have been interesting to see the affects of it. The whole taking his skin bit was never going to work and was bound to be changed during production.

As for Skynet being the good guys, that's actually quite an interesting take on it and one which would have been more interesting than the generic humans fight back story that we got.

Arnie is too out of shape to be still playing Terminator. I cant see why he cant get in to shape when stallone is able to and hes even older than arnie and he was never even a bodybuilder.

article-2633317-1DFED9C000000578-504_634x775.jpg

article-2633317-1DFED9CC00000578-191_634x634.jpg

Jumboman wrote: »
    Arnie is too out of shape to be still playing Terminator. I cant see why he cant get in to shape when stallone is able to and hes even older than arnie and he was never even a bodybuilder.

article-2633317-1DFED9C000000578-504_634x775.jpg

Nobody knows if he is playing one of the terminators or a scientist or what exactly. He's a man of what, 60 years of age and at this stage he may not fancy spending hours in the gym every day.

• Advertisement

Nobody knows if he is playing one of the terminators or a scientist or what exactly. He's a man of what, 60 years of age and at this stage he may not fancy spending hours in the gym every day.

Well stallone is even older than he is yet he is able to get into shape.

stallone.jpg

Advertisement