Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Is it possible to upgrade to business class

• 31-07-2014 11:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭

from economy on the day off the flight at very little extra cost if there are seats free?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,025 ✭✭✭duffman13

from economy on the day off the flight at very little extra cost if there are seats free?

Yes it's possible but it's not cheap regardless of there being a free seat. Ask the airline at check in, I know when I tried it was more than double the price of the original ticket. No harm asking d though, can really depend on individual airline

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭shadowcomplex

Patww79 wrote: »

Can you be more specific, I thought it would be very black and white?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭shadowcomplex

What if I just want extra leg room, have a flight to aus tomorrow. appreciate any advice ye can give me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭billie1b

Can you be more specific, I thought it would be very black and white?

Depending on your airline, if you're at the check in desk and ask about upgrades and the costs of it, show you are willing to pay, they usually try look after you, if you go up even with the gift of the gab you might not be so lucky

• Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭Ninap

It's a very long shot. Upgrades are usually reserved for frequent flyers who have lots of air miles. People who have paid thousands extra don't usually want freeloaders arriving into the business cabin. That said, dressing respectably and being polite might give you a very small chance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,493 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Patww79 wrote: »

It's not at all that simple, different airlines have different strategies on upgrades. Virgin for example have a policy that if you ask, you definitely will not get an upgrade.

No airline wants to get the name of being a soft touch for 'wafflers' looking for an upgrade. If they did then their check-in desks would get clogged up with bullsh1tters laying on their version of 'charm' pestering the check-in clerk for an upgrade.

There is a pecking order which says that first in line are frequent flyers who have clocked up lots of miles, next are passengers who have paid full fare. Well-dressed females in business dress are good candidates to fill a single seat in business class.

The people who come last are those who, when on board the plane, invent some 'difficulty' in the hope that the staff will become so p1ssed off with their demanding behaviour that they will upgrade them - it just doesn't happen. A classic example of this was an incident which took place in the US where a white lady who was seated beside an African-American man took the stewardess aside and said that she had a 'difficulty' with the seating arrangement. The stewardess solved the problem by asking the man to get his bag from the overhead bin and follow her to the business class section - he was upgraded.

Asking for an upgrade when on the plane is usually a waste of time. If they have overbooked the economy section and have to switch some people to business class, that will be organised before the last passenger boards the plane i.e. the check-in people will decide who to upgrade. The cabin staff will usually only upgrade someone if there is a good reason to do so as in the example above.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭circular flexing

coylemj wrote: »
    A classic example of this was an incident which took place in the US where a white lady who was seated beside an African-American man took the stewardess aside and said that she had a 'difficulty' with the seating arrangement. The stewardess solved the problem by asking the man to get his bag from the overhead bin and follow her to the business class section - he was upgraded.

Don't believe everything you read on the internet!

http://www.snopes.com/travel/airline/obnoxious.asp

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,493 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Fair enough, I actually read it on boards.ie but in general terms the principle stands - you will not get upgraded by kicking up sh1t over something after boarding the plane.

The airlines' policy is that if you're an assh0le in economy, you'll probably be an even bigger pr1ck in business class where you will annoy people who have paid good money to avoid having to put up with people like you.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,264 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

I was travelling with a friend to the US on Aer Lingus about ten year and ago and while we were waiting to board , a man approached us. We were initially convinced he was customs but he took us aside and said 'Would you ladies like to travel in business? ' Needless to say we didn't have to be asked twice. No charge. Hurrah.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭Eponymous

Not an upgrade as such as it was only an Aer Lingus European flight, but when flying to Nice once with our daughter (about 18 months old at the time), the guy seated next to us got very huffy about it, despite the fact the baby was asleep. Just before pushback one of the cabin crew asked us if we'd like to move up to the seats up front. He wasn't impressed, I think he'd been angling to be moved up.

It's along the lines of that story though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,765 ✭✭✭endofrainbow

Most airlines will have their own policies and it's usually people with status on an airline will be offered to upgrade first (usually at online check-in), the higher the status, the better would chance of an upgrade.

After that would come frequent flyers on the airline's code-share partners and so on down the line.

the only guaranteed way to get an upgrade is to pay for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,277 ✭✭✭✭smurfjed

With modern technology the days of getting unauthorised upgrades are gone, for us it used to be simple, ground staff, cabin crew or the captain could do it for friends. Now the ground staff are monitored, they don't have the authorisation to upgrade, and recently some of our cabin and cockpit crew who upgraded friends had the ticket cost deducted from their salaries, for one guy it was close to 10,000 Euro.

So good luck with the waffle approach :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

When my brother and his wife were flying to Oz (with Emirates) for her 50th birthday, they were upgraded to business class. They were just chatting to the check in clerk as to the reason for the trip (which could be confirmed by looking at her date of birth on her passport) & they got the upgrade. Neither of them are frequent flyers. They were both very well dressed, as they were heading straight to an event at a mega posh hotel during their Dubai layover. So I dunno if it was that "look the part" factor, or it was the check in clerk just being nice. It was probably a combination of both, but I have have heard from people who work for airlines, that being well dressed does matter a lot.

Advertisement