Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Aerlingus / Travel Insurance Issues

• 23-06-2014 8:53pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,849 ✭✭✭

Ok I have an issue with Aerlingus / Multitrip Insurance

I was on a flight from Naples to Dublin and checked in a suitcase which was locked with a pad lock

when I got back the suitcase from the pickup belt, I went on my way and got home

When I got home I noticed that the locked was removed from the case and that jewelry was taken from it, about 250E worth, they put the damaged padlock back into the suitcase!!

I called aerlingus and they said they don't cover theft from suitcases, even though it was locked, when I gave it to them
    I called Multitrip and they don't cover valuables within the case ie jewellery or electric items,

I would have taught Aerlingus / Multitrip would have to cover this, as the case was securely locked when I checked it in.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

The advice is generally not to pack valuables in checked luggage, a lock draws attention to your bag much more than protecting it. The fact that you left the airport before you noticed will also work against you as it's your word against theirs as to what was in the bag. Check the T&C of your policy, what is and isn't covered should be detailed in there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,849 ✭✭✭tech

The Travel insurance didnt even ask me that, I said I has a locked case and that the lock was removed and items missing, they just said NO not covered

Check your policy document, don't just trust a phone call.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,492 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

€250 doesn't buy you much in the way of jewellery these days, you could easily have carried the stuff on board in your pocket or bag. What possessed you to put it into a check-in bag and then (even worse) to put a padlock on it so that it would stand out from the crowd?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

It's in your Multitrip policy that valuables aren't covered in checked luggage as they're not in your custody. It's also in the policy that you must check your baggage on arrival.

In any case the jewellery probably isn't covered unless you can produce receipts.

Most things aren't really covered by travel insurance when you read all the fine print. The only reason for getting it is to get you home in the event of some major problem.

• Advertisement

Most things aren't really covered by travel insurance when you read all the fine print. The only reason for getting it is to get you home in the event of some major problem.

Not true. What you say may apply to a travel policy you buy from the airline or travel agent where a large slice of your cash goes in commission but if you pick a policy carefully, it can cover a whole lot more than medical evacuation. My travel policy covers me for a raft of different things like trip cancellation (in advance) or curtailment (if I'm already there) because of a sudden illness involving a close relative. I can even cancel the trip and claim a refund off the insurance if my house goes on fire within 10 days of the planned departure.

If I go to the airport and my flight is delayed for more than 12 hours, I have the right to choose to abandon the entire trip and get compensated up to €2,500 of irrecoverable expenses like the money I've paid the hotel and airline.

My policy (with AIG via BoI credit card) also covers the following...

The Insurer will indemnify an Insured Person in respect of loss or damage to personal effects and baggage owned by an Insured Person, during an
    Insured Journey, up to a maximum of €2,500 but with a limit of €250 for any one item, pair or set. Provided always that in the event of the theft, this is reported to the police or other appropriate authority as soon as is practicable.

Which is why I told the OP to check their policy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,849 ✭✭✭tech

hmm anyone else have any taughts?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,489 ✭✭✭Yamanoto

Unscrupulous baggage handlers in Naples eh, who'd have thunk it?

As to your question OP, airlines will typically cover their asses for this kind of eventuality in their conditions of carriage, so I'd very much doubt you'll be compensated for your loss unfortunately.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭keithclancy

tech wrote: »
    hmm anyone else have any taughts?

Expensive lesson unfortunately, don't leave items you cannot afford to lose in your check in luggage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Hootanany

thats not right your baggage should be ok when its within the Airport.
    If items are missing it'd the Airports fault no one else's

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭jaymcg91

How can you prove beyond doubt that the items were a) in there when you checked the bag, and b) were taken in between the bag being checked in Naples and you collecting it in Dublin?

It's really sh*tty when this stuff happens I understand, but it's time to chalk it up to experience.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Hootanany

You check your bags into an Airport stuff goes missing in the Airport what is there to explain?

Hootanany wrote: »
    thats not right your baggage should be ok when its within the Airport.
    If items are missing it'd the Airports fault no one else's
    Hootanany wrote: »
    You check your bags into an Airport stuff goes missing in the Airport what is there to explain?

The flaw in your 'logic' is that it ignores the fact that each journey involves two airports.

OP checked a bag into Naples airport and flew to Dublin. When he/she got home the jewellery was missing.

Which airport is to blame?

Advertisement