Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Long-distance loop walks in Europe

Options
  • 19-06-2014 9:14am
    Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭

I did the Camino last year, and thought it was great. Rather than doing it again, I am trying to find other long-distance (7-21 days) walks in Europe, preferably loop/circular routes so I can refind my campervan.

Information seems limited on the interweb (some paid-for walks), so I was wondering if others had an experiences or knowledge they could pass on?

FdP

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

Unfortunately I don't see any looped walks on this but you might find points that you can catch a train back to your campervan on
    http://www.via-alpina.org/

Could be some in here
    http://www.austria.info/uk/tags/walking-holidays

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,623 ✭✭✭thegreatgonzo

The GR20 in Corsica isn't a loop but looks amazing and I think would take about month

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Maxmelay

I think it will be hard for you to find a loop if you want to do long-distance walk.

In France, we have the GR (stands for Grande Randonnée). Some paths are more than 1000Km long. For example the GR3 which is following the Loire Rvier is mroe than a 1000Km long.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,489 ✭✭✭Yamanoto

The Tour du Mont Blanc may be of interest OP.
    The Tour du Mont Blanc or TMB is one of the most popular long distance walks in Europe. It circles the Mont Blanc Massif covering a distance of roughly 170 km with 10 km of ascent/descent and passes through parts of Switzerland, Italy and France.

It is considered one of the classic long distance walking trails. The circular route is normally walked in an anti-clockwise direction in 7 – 10 days. It is also the route of an annual mountain marathon in which the winner normally covers the entire distance in less than 24 hours. Usual start points are Les Houches in the Chamonix valley or Les Contamines in the Montjoie valley (in France), Courmayeur from the Italian side, and either Champex or a point near Martigny in Switzerland. The route passes through seven valleys around the Mont-Blanc massif, an anti-clockwise start in Chamonix would lead through the Chamonix (or Arve) valley, then Montjoie, Vallee des Glaciers, Italian Val Veni, & Val Ferret, Swiss Val Ferret, and either the Arpette or Trient valley in Switzerland, dependent on route taken.

The ‘official’ route has changed over the course of the years and many alternatives, or ‘Variantes’, exist to the standard route. Some of these take the intrepid walker onto paths requiring greater fitness, awareness and skill. Others provide conveniently less demanding options, which are often quicker than the accepted route but provide lesser viewpoints onto the mountain ranges. For a part of the way, between the summit of Brevent and the Col de la Croix du Bonhomme, the route coincides with the European long distance footpath GR5 as it makes its way from the North Sea to the Mediterranean Sea. A link can also be made with the walkers' Haute Route from Chamonix to Zermatt in the Swiss Alps.

Plentiful accommodations exist along the entire route, allowing the route to be broken into segments to suit virtually any fit person. The accommodation takes a variety of forms, from separate bedrooms to large mixed sex dormitories.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tour_du_Mont_Blanc

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭fulladapipes

Some great ideas there. I had just come across the Mont Blanc route, which looks interesting. I also found this one, which is based around urban scenery:

http://www.marvellous-provence.com/activities-and-sports/walks-hikes-and-runs/gr2013-hiking-trail

I had found one which takes about 21 days in south of France, but can't find it again now.

Thanks for all the suggestions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,615 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Did the Tour Du Monte Blanc a few years back, it's a fabulous walk and I'd highly recommend it

I don't think you necessarily need a loop track OP. Rural France and Switzerland usually have very good public transport options so if you plan it right then there should always be a way back to your van. If you walk for a week and cover 200km it might take a bit of the day to get back via public transport but it will be do-able

• Registered Users Posts: 1,370 ✭✭✭Technique

There's the Via Francigena in Italy which is similar to the Camino.

From the foot of the Alps to Rome.

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭fulladapipes

Think I might start of by doing the longer version of this walk - it's only about 147kms, but it'll get the walking juices going again: http://ilovewalking.com.au/figeac-to-cahors-map/

The Via Francigena looks interesting, but seems not to have much in the way of pilgrim accommodation.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Joshea79

Hi folks,

I am not sure if I am in the right thread for this, but I might as well ask anyway. I am planning to walk from Dublin to Galway at the end of August, following the Grand Canal Way until I reach Banagher, and then branching off. I am wondering id anyone knows if it is ok to camp along there? Safe, etc?

Thanks for any help forthcoming.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,811 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

Have a look at the inlands waterways website. It has info on walking the canals.
    If you look at the cycling forum there was a recent thread about cycling and camping on both.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34 Maxmelay

There is a book called Walking Across Ireland: From Dublin Bay to Galway Bay from 2003. It maybe out-of-date but still can give you an idea about your trip.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Joshea79

Thank you!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭wow sierra

The Via Algarviana in Portugal looks beautiful. Again not a loop but you could do some of it and end up at a town with public transport back to where you started. I don't have a link but if you Google it you will see the various options - I am going to do a guided part of it myself this year and think it looks great.

The ‘Via Algarviana – the Algarve Way’ was inaugurated in May 2009. It is a fully way marked long distance, footpath between Alcoutim on the Spanish border and Cape St. Vincent (the most south-westerly point in Europe) and the Via Algarviana now forms part of the European network of walking routes as the most westerly extension of the GR13.
    The Via Algarviana is one of the Algarve’s many secrets. It’s a pedestrian long distance path (300km long), perfect for hiking and biking, that runs from Alcoutim, in the Eastern Algarve all the way across the region to the western tip at Cape St. Vincent, near Sagres and crossing the Costa Vicentina Natural Park It follows a meandering, rural route through the Serra do Caldeirão and Serra de Monchique - perfect for a walking holiday in the Algarve.

Many people only associate the Algarve with golfing and beaches. However this region is also a nature lovers paradise offering excellent conditions for bird-watching, for hiking and mountain biking along the numerous trails and paths. Following the Via Algarviana you can walk from one side of the Algarve to the other, which can take around 14 days, or you can opt for shorter day or weekend treks. As with any such outing, advance planning is vital and the Via Algarviana guides should be consulted to check for accommodation and restaurants along the route.

The route crosses all nine municipalities in the Algarve (Alcoutim, Castro Marim, Tavira, S. Brás de Alportel, Loulé, Silves, Monchique, Lagos and Vila do Bispo). Most of the route is fairly off the beaten track, although there are some smaller sections that are closer to busier roads. Starting near to the Spanish border and the Guadianna river the path crosses the tranquil countryside of the East Algarve. The central section of the Via Algarviana meanders around more fertile countryside near Alte, Salir and Silves. Heading towards Monchique the path rises, rises, rises towards Picota and Foía – the highest point in the Algarve at 902m. then its down towards Sagres and the Atlantic with its crashing waves and vast horizon.

There is a Via Algarviana guide book, with information on each sector ( Technical Information, Route Description, Maps, Cultural and Natural Heritage, and useful contacts) in english and portuguese

Advertisement