Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Left button on touchpad not working properly

Options
  • 04-03-2009 3:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 158 ✭✭

basically what it says in the title. The right one clicks when you push it down but the left one is a bit harder to push and doesnt go fully down when I push it. I dont think anything is stuck in the area around the pad as I dont eat food around it. It also doesnt seem to be sitting right and isnt the same height as the other one.

I have seen suggestions to open up the back and see if you can fix it that way, and someone said to put a KNIFE down the gap and push it up. But I dont want to be putting knives anywhere near it.

Any help or even suggestion would be greatly appreciated.

Also if there has been a topic like this previously then I'm sorry but didnt check.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,706 ✭✭✭Voodu Child

I wouldn't go putting a knife in, as the touchpads buttons often have pretty fragile plastic tabs etc that give it the click and the springy-return. You could quite easily damage them.

It could be the case that one of those plastic components is already damaged or bent. That's happened to me once before, and the only real solution at the time was a USB mouse.

It's hard to know from a description, and it's hard to know what course of action to suggest either. Usually it's not going to be easily accessible - open up the rear of the laptop and all you're going to see is the back of the motherboard, ram slots etc. You'd need to do a further step of dissasembly usually to get to the underside of the touchpad and it's not really recommended.

I would start from the best case scenario - it's just a piece of debris, and try and get it out. Maybe with a low-powered hoover and brush attachment, or something similar.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 158 ✭✭Its So Easy

I wouldn't go putting a knife in, as the touchpads buttons often have pretty fragile plastic tabs etc that give it the click and the springy-return. You could quite easily damage them.

It could be the case that one of those plastic components is already damaged or bent. That's happened to me once before, and the only real solution at the time was a USB mouse.

It's hard to know from a description, and it's hard to know what course of action to suggest either. Usually it's not going to be easily accessible - open up the rear of the laptop and all you're going to see is the back of the motherboard, ram slots etc. You'd need to do a further step of dissasembly usually to get to the underside of the touchpad and it's not really recommended.

I would start from the best case scenario - it's just a piece of debris, and try and get it out. Maybe with a low-powered hoover and brush attachment, or something similar.

thanks for the response.only barely two months old and something failed or isnt working properly in it.:( bugger anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 158 ✭✭Its So Easy

I'm sorry but this is really annoying me. I have the laptop two months and five days and the left button has failed ?That isnt good enough in my opinion. My brother got his laptop a bit before me and he uses his more than me as he needs it for college so it cant be a case of wear and tear. And I've never banged it or scrathed it.

Advertisement