Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

October 2015 Babies Club

Options
1111213141517»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭cruais

Hi all.

Im going to stick with this thread as was originally due in oct but went early and had our little boy in sep.

He is doing great. 10 weeks old yesterday. So sturdy now, all arms and legs!

He is full of smiles and really noticing things now. He is teething already! I didnt believe it until i mentioned it to the nurse who confirmed it. I cant complain as he isnt crying much just licking his gums and dribbling ALOT lol

He is wearing a little hip brace for 8 weeks as he has a shallow hip but other than that he loves his sleep and food!

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭orlyice

Hey everyone, my little man is doing great, 21 weeks old now, 7 weeks corrected, has started smiling and over 9lbs now. Doing great, has poor immune system so we don't go anywhere, other than hospital appointments. Looking forward to Christmas. Have all his shopping done and all. It's very exciting.

Great to have all our babies home and settled before Christmas. Hope ye are all getting some sleep, never realised how.little sleep you could survive on! Luckily we are getting 6/7 hours now.

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭Entropy7

My little girl is doing great at nearly 8 weeks. We have blocks of 4 to 6 hours sleep at night so I think it's brilliant. I totally underestimated how difficult the first few weeks of breastfeeding was going to be, but we stuck it out and it seems to be going much better now. Little girl has started interacting and having baby chats with us from about 6 weeks and that is just the best thing ever. It's getting easier with each week that passes. Christmas is going to be wonderful.

hi ladies,

not long left to go so just wanna wish ye all a very happy christmas and hope 2016 will be a good year for ye all, wil be hard to beat 2015 and welcoming our little bundles! xxxx

orlyice wrote: »
    hi ladies,

not long left to go so just wanna wish ye all a very happy christmas and hope 2016 will be a good year for ye all, wil be hard to beat 2015 and welcoming our little bundles! xxxx

You too orlyice x

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭dawnied

happy Christmas everyone!! i hope you all had an awesome first one with your new little bundles! x

• Registered Users Posts: 42 supersiren

Hi all how is everyone and their little ones keeping? Herself is 16 weeks this Thursday and can thankfully say that we have been blessed with a dream baby;-) Shes a great eater and sleeper..sleeping through the night since she was about 9/10 weeks. Has been a roller coaster of emotions at times but wouldn't change it for the world. Waking up to her "talking" and her big smile first thing is the greatest feeling in the world! Also we are very lucky to have two super granny's..one who usually takes her one night a week so we can have a night out to ourselves..something that I think is really important for us and the other takes her one afternoon a week so I can catch up on shopping/bank etc.
    starting to think about weaning soon..reading up on it lately..anyone any thoughts on what way you are going to begin??
    Hope everyone is doing wellðŸ˜႒

• Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭heldel00

Hi Supersiren. I was only thinking today that this thread had all but disappeared! It'd be good to get it going again.
    My little man is 14 weeks tomorrow. To put it simply he is amazing. Really enjoying him now that he's smiling and cooing. To be brutally honest I found it hard to engage with him for first 2 months. Didn't know what to do. I sang and talked away to him but it always felt forced whereas now I never stop playing games and talking to him.
    We also had a dream baby at the start! Started sleeping through the night at 2 months but for the past two weeks or so he has been waking a couple of times during the night. Not as bad this week. Sleeping from 10pm until 6:30/7am but I don't think he's waking with hunger. He's just ready to start his day! We break all the rules and pop him into the leaba beside us. He falls back asleep until 8:30/9.
    Again another rule I broke was I have him started already on "solids". When I thought it was hunger that was waking him I gave him a few spoons of baby rice before bed. Very regular baby so constipation wasn't really a concern.
    Now he has few spoons of baby porridge in morn, fruit puréed up at lunchtime and this evening he had sweet potato wetted up with formula and a pinch of cinnamon. Loves his grub so far.

Hi Ladies

Just to keep the thread alive! How is all the beautiful babies doing?

My little man was 6 months old last week. He is thriving thank God and has discovered slapping, pulling and pinching. Fun times for mam

Hi cruais. Hopefully we can get this thread back up and running. I have lots of friends with little babies but they are all a month younger than our little man and at that age it's a big difference. Other friends with older babies but they have forgotten everything so it would be nice to have this thread to come to for advice.
    When are you going to stop counting in weeks? I have lost count of how many weeks he is so I'm just gonna switch to months! He's on puréed spoon feeds and is a real little grubber. Gone off his bottles a bit but was never great for taking them to be honest.
    I'm back to work after Easter but am very lucky because my mother loves in the town where I work so she is going to mind him. A big load off my mind.
    I'm really looking forward to getting back to a bit of normality but this morning, for example, his little mouth was covered in porridge and he smiles up at me with a gorgeous big grin and my heart melted. I'll miss sitting and having time with him in the mornings.
    Hope everyone is well xxx

• Advertisement

hi ladies, great to hear your babies are doing well cruais and heldel00. months are really flying!

great to have the thread going again. I know technically my baby was born in July but I hope ye wont kick me off here! lot of friends i have made being in hospital so long with my little boy have premature babies, none of them were due in October so developmentally they are at different stages. its nice to chat to people whose babies are doing the same thing as my man.

my little man is doing really well too. loves solid food, is rolling and is so much fun at the moment. he is so nosy, has to see everything that is going on, i put his buggy forward facing recently at a match so he would be entertained. now he has to be forward facing all the time or he gets really upset! he is the nosiest person ever! He was in hospital for a few days a couple of weeks ago, he started shaking after some feeds, his pediatrician was concerned so admitted him for tests. They were afraid he may have suffered some trauma being born so early, had a brain scan in the first few days after he was born but preemies can sometimes get bleeds on the brain from the stress of too much handling or medical procedures when they are small. Thankfully everything came back ok and they are putting the shaking down to reflux (poor pet is killed with it, another side effect of being born early). sees his consultant regularly, also physio and speech and language therapist (for his feeding), regular appointments in temple st and crumlin. everyone is happy with him. doing remarkably well for a 26 week baby. we were living like hermits for the winter due to his poor immune system but thankfully he never caught anything. starting to go a few places now with him.

my maternity leave ended in january, it starts as soon as the baby is born which is so unfair for preemie parents, half of my maternity leave was gone before he even left hospital. have been on carers since then so hoping to get that for another year and get him through next winter before i go back to work, just so i can keep him away from too many people when the winter bugs are going. really are so thankful everything worked out so well for him. we nearly lost him a few times, between the blood clot in his kidneys and him aspirating a load of milk onto his lungs. he used to stop breathing and drop his heart rate dozens of times a day when he was very small (its funny how we got so used to that!). sorry i am really emotional right now (bawling here!) i think the reality of everything that happened is only really hitting me now. but he is thriving and thats the main thing.

anyones babies teething at the moment? i feel like my poor man has been teething forever and nothing to show for it, doesnt even have one tooth!!

I can't tell you how many times I have thought of you over the past few months Orlyice. Every time I thought it was hardgoing I just thought of how early your little one came and how hugely difficult it must have been for you. Fantastic to hear he is doing so well.
    I think there is a little buzzing going on in the gums here. No sign of anything breaking through (my mam was looking with a flashlight earlier!) but he can be very grumpy for a few days and then flying form for the following weeks.
    He has rolled a few times but purely by accident. He just doesn't know what to do with his arms!
    Orlyice is your fella rolling from tummy to back or back to tummy?

Lovely to hear from you all.

My daughter is 5 and a half months old now and in 2 to 3 'meals' per day with formula bottles theoughout the day. I give her Ella's kitchen pouches for each meal and she seems to like them but sometimes she doesn't eat the entire amount!

She is grabbing at everything - interested in learning about the world,mostly daddy's beard and mommy's hair.

She is rolling about and the last few nights she has been put to sleep on her back and rolling onto her front, and remains asleep very comfortably on her front.

Yesterday, I woke up from a post breakfast nap on the couch with her finger in my nostril.

She's sitting up quite well but always requires support at some stage.

She makes happy sounds when she sees our dogs and the dogs have taken to her arrival wonderfully.

I'm back to work next week. It will be tough not hanging out with my little lady all day... but has to be done.

heldel00 wrote: »
    I can't tell you how many times I have thought of you over the past few months Orlyice. Every time I thought it was hardgoing I just thought of how early your little one came and how hugely difficult it must have been for you. Fantastic to hear he is doing so well.
    I think there is a little buzzing going on in the gums here. No sign of anything breaking through (my mam was looking with a flashlight earlier!) but he can be very grumpy for a few days and then flying form for the following weeks.
    He has rolled a few times but purely by accident. He just doesn't know what to do with his arms!
    Orlyice is your fella rolling from tummy to back or back to tummy?

aw thanks heldel00, so nice of you to think of us. it was tough but when i think of all the people who have been through it and didnt have the outcome we did it puts it into perspective. i have a very good friend that i made in hospital and her little baby passed away recently so we really have been so blessed. unlucky he came so early but incredibly lucky he is doing so well.

poor little man, teething really is so tough on them. we would all be grumpy if we had teeth coming up! have you tried amber beads? i have heard some great things about them, bit unsure of them myself, would be worried they would break and my little man could choke on them.

he rolls from his tummy to his back regularly, hates being on his tummy so gets his knees up under his bum and pushes himself over. he had very little strength in his arms so physio told us to do a lot of tummy time with him and put a rolled up blanket under his chest with his arms out over it. we started doing it 4 times a day and worked brilliantly and then after a while doing that we removed the blanket and he now has great strength in his arms and started rolling over. he has only rolled from his back to his tummy twice and both times i missed it! did it for his daddy and my mam but will only roll onto his sides for me! little devil!

Back to work tomorrow! Waaaahhhhhhh ��

heldel00 wrote: »
    Back to work tomorrow! Waaaahhhhhhh ��

Aw best of look heldel00, hope everything goes well xxx

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Newbie2015

Hi ladies, I was originally part of this thread but actually had my baby seven weeks early so she was born in August, lots of drama and all the rest but she's actually 8 months old now, should be six though really. I feel like the first few months were so easy, apart from sleep deprivation but it's now that I'm really struggling, does anyone else feel like that?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,713 ✭✭✭Balmed Out

Newbie2015 wrote: »
    Hi ladies, I was originally part of this thread but actually had my baby seven weeks early so she was born in August, lots of drama and all the rest but she's actually 8 months old now, should be six though really. I feel like the first few months were so easy, apart from sleep deprivation but it's now that I'm really struggling, does anyone else feel like that?

A second time Dad here trying to think to my first and 8 months. My first never crawled so I had to spend from 8 months till nearly twelve bent double holding his hands while he tried walking which was literally back breaking.

What are you struggling with?

Are you back at work / mentally preparing yourself to go back to work. The change can be tough I imagine.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭nono2012

Hey Newbie2015, what's up? I hear what your saying about the first few months being easy but its only as you go along you realised how easy it actually was, back then when we thought it was hard haha.. Every day is a challenge but thankfully its a blessing as well :P how are u getting on

Newbie2015 wrote: »

Hi Newbie2015, i am a mom to a preemie too. my boy was due in October and arrived early July, 14 weeks early. Its not easy being a mom to a preemie, I struggled myself recently. I think the enormity of everything that happened only hit me in the last few months. Nobody when they are pregnant imagines themselves in the nicu/scbu situation, you are supposed to go to term, have a healthy baby, spend a few days in hospital and then home and show your baby off to the world. leaving your baby behind in hospital or having to ask someone if you can hold your own baby is not the way it should be. For me when my boy arrived early I was so focused on getting my man healthy and bigger so that he could come home. Once he was home, the focus was on keeping him healthy and away from situations where he could pick up an illness. i had neglected myself a bit so its only recently everything has hit me.

From chatting to other preemie moms I have met in hospital it seems to be fairly common that you reach a point where everything hits you. A lot of them have said they struggled at some point. do you think you have processed everything that happened? you have been through so much, you have all the usual worries that a parent of a term baby has, but you also have the worries and emotions of being parent to a preemie. Its something that is very hard to understand unless you have been through it.

Its also worth mentioning that preemie moms are more prone to postnatal depression and post traumatic stress so a chat with phn or gp might be no harm if you find yourself still struggling.

hope your preemie is doing well.

• Advertisement

Hi guys.

Just checking in how everyone is doing?

My little man is 15 months today. He started walking in the last week or so. He is a bit hasty but im sure he will get there!

He still has a small touch of hip dysplasia and we have an appointment in feb to see has it improved, if not, we have to go down the surgery route. Am hoping that walking will fix it!

Hello there everyone. It has been such a long time since anyone posted here. Our babies are all growing up fast!
    It would be good to see if we could get this thread going again. Probably won't be regular posts but if any of us had any concerns it would be great to speak to those with children the same age.

I'll try to kick start things!
    I'm currently on maternity leave with baby number 2 and my October chap will be due to start preschool in Sept, as I'm sure most of yours are. He has never been in a creche and my mother has always minded him. I put him into local creche for one morning a week and he screams blue murder every morning i drop him off. He settles after a few mins according to the staff but I'm afraid it will put him off going to preschool in Sept. He will be going to a different facility for preschool so this is really only to give him a chance to play with others and toughen up a bit/ learn to share.

Long story short should we just forget about creche and leave him be until Sept? Creche can only offer one morning at the minute but will have two mornings for the summer.

Hello there everyone. It has been such a long time since anyone posted here. Our babies are all growing up fast!
    It would be good to see if we could get this thread going again. Probably won't be regular posts but if any of us had any concerns it would be great to speak to those with children the same age.

I'll try to kick start things!
    I'm currently on maternity leave with baby number 2 and my October chap will be due to start preschool in Sept, as I'm sure most of yours are. He has never been in a creche and my mother has always minded him. I put him into local creche for one morning a week and he screams blue murder every morning i drop him off. He settles after a few mins according to the staff but I'm afraid it will put him off going to preschool in Sept. He will be going to a different facility for preschool so this is really only to give him a chance to play with others and toughen up a bit/ learn to share.

Long story short should we just forget about creche and leave him be until Sept? Creche can only offer one morning at the minute but will have two mornings for the summer.

Hi heldel00 Congratulations on your second baba, how old is he/she?

I had the very premature baby (at 26 weeks) Who was due in October but arrived in July. Things have been good, had a lot of ups and downs since he was born, lots of appointments, illnesses, hospital stays, assessments and tests.. But we have come out of the other side of it now, we seem to have gotten best case scenario, he is meeting all his milestones and thriving, he would buy and sell you now. Stayed at home with him until he was 2, then we had him in a childminder, didn't work out for a number of reasons, moved him to a crèche last October and he has thrived since then.

In terms of the crèche with your little one, I would persevere. My husband mainly does the crèche drop but the odd occasion I do it he cries, still to this day and he is in there fulltime since oct. Could you organise someone else to drop him a few times? See if they get the same reaction?

My daughter has been looked after by her dad at home since I went to work after 6 months maternity leave, and we don't plan on sending her to creche, as we don't have any spare cash for that. She is starting pre-school in September in the primary school she will eventually attend, so I'm hoping to only go through the drop off tantrums once. I can understand your concern, heldel00, but I think my daughter plays up the drama for mammy. Daddy doesn't have to hear half the protesting that I get.  
    I'm 14 weeks pregnant on baby 2... we are expecting another October baba, after a few losses last year.  
    I didn't really post alot after my daughter's birth as I found the whole thing very difficult. I had a touch of PND and didn't get it sorted until late last year. I had a PPH after she was born. I had a tough time adjusting to new motherhood at the same time as recovering from an emergency situation. We are all grand now, and I feel so lucky to have a lovely daughter who is healthy and happy.

Orlyice i have thought of you so many times since you posted about yout little man arriving so early. I was doing a course and actually let a gasp out of me when i read your post. The other people at my table thought i had gotten bad news myself and it felt a bit strange to tell them that it was actually a stranger on the internet but i think you really feel like you know people, especially in the pregnancy threads. So glad to hear that all is well.

Our little girl is 3 months old. She is a dream baby. Couldn't ask for better. Thank god because i took nerve pain in my shoulder after her section and my shoulder has been paralysed since she was a week old. They tell me the power will come back but no one knows when. I couldn't deal with the nerve pain though. That was just horrific. Meds have it sorted for now.

Good advice there about maybe getting Daddy to do a drop off and see how it goes. Breaks my heart every time. He's a real little softie and i hate to think of him being unhappy for even a second. I think Mammy might need to toughen up a bit never mind him!

Advertisement