Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Water birth at the Coombe

Options
  • 12-09-2014 9:07am
    Registered Users Posts: 660 ✭✭✭

My wife had a baby boy in the Coombe on Monday in the birthing pool. What a fantastic experience. She can't reccomend it enough, she had a complete change in how she felt after she got into the water. From a fathers point of view, it seemed to offer her a huge amount of relief compared to labouring outside the water and that was a huge relief to me.

The staff there couldn't of been any better (unless they had the baby for her! :D) and were there to reassure her every step of the way. They have a minimum amount of intervention and leave it to the woman to do what feels natural.

The pool became available just as she was starting to feel the urge to push and a little more than an hour later baby was skin to skin. She done it drug free, not bad for a 9lb2oz baby!

If the pool is available I would recommend giving it a try. The facilities, staff and experience couldn't be any better.

Feel free to ask me any questions ;)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭Fagashlil

That's good to hear, am hoping for a water birth in a few weeks. Really hoping the pool is available, I think I've my heart set on it now I'll be devastated if it's not! Haven't heard much about them, but the midwife is all for it, so hoping it all goes to plan.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭Penny Dreadful

Moomat wrote: »
    My wife had a baby boy in the Coombe on Monday in the birthing pool. What a fantastic experience. She can't reccomend it enough, she had a complete change in how she felt after she got into the water. From a fathers point of view, it seemed to offer her a huge amount of relief compared to labouring outside the water and that was a huge relief to me.

The staff there couldn't of been any better (unless they had the baby for her! :D) and were there to reassure her every step of the way. They have a minimum amount of intervention and leave it to the woman to do what feels natural.

The pool became available just as she was starting to feel the urge to push and a little more than an hour later baby was skin to skin. She done it drug free, not bad for a 9lb2oz baby!

If the pool is available I would recommend giving it a try. The facilities, staff and experience couldn't be any better.

That's great to hear and congratulations on your little baby.
    I'm due to give birth to my first there in a few weeks too and would like to use the pool. In fact I really need to keep the fact that I might not get it as a realistic possibility in my head.
    I'm trying (for various reasons) to not have an epidural when I deliver the baby and want that pool option open to me in a big way!
    Fagashlil maybe we should co ordinate our deliveries accordingly! ;-)

I'm due to give birth to my first there in a few weeks too and would like to use the pool. In fact I really need to keep the fact that I might not get it as a realistic possibility in my head.
    I'm trying (for various reasons) to not have an epidural when I deliver the baby and want that pool option open to me in a big way!

I'm the exact same, trying to avoid an epidural as my PGP is so bad the physio has reccommend I don't have one to avoid permanent damage. I've this image in my head about how lovely it will all be, so if the pool isn't free I'm screwed! I'm not due till the 8th, so hopefully we don't clash!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭Rosy Posy

I've had two babies with an epidural and two babies with nothing, in the water. The last two were significantly larger babies but the water births were both less painful and I had no tearing and a faster recovery. I would definitely recommend it. If you're thinking about it have a look at Michel Odent's books.

• Registered Users Posts: 660 ✭✭✭Moomat

Fagashlil wrote: »
    That's good to hear, am hoping for a water birth in a few weeks. Really hoping the pool is available, I think I've my heart set on it now I'll be devastated if it's not! Haven't heard much about them, but the midwife is all for it, so hoping it all goes to plan.

Make sure you put together a birthplan stating that you wish to labour and deliver in the pool. Have a couple of copies so you can give it to the various midwives you'll be dealing with and let them know as soon as you hit the delivery suite and even before that you wish to try it. I think quite a few people are using it for labouring but not so many for birth.
    My wife wants any future babies (fingers crossed) in the water now!:)

Best of luck!

Thank you! :) As above make your birthplan available and known from the earliest possible stages.
    My wife had hoped to avoid an epidural too but came extremely close due to the pain. Thankfully the pool became available and was a huge help with the pain.
    Best of luck with everything! :)

It seems that the best position to have the baby in the pool is on all fours, this combined with the water will help to reduce any tears if they happen.
    You will still get the skin to skin as soon as he is born and I seeing the baby being delivered in this way is truly magical.

There may be an option to allow some extra staff be present for the delivery. I would strongly recommend allowing them remain if you feel up to it. The staff there are wonderful and the more that become experienced in water births than the more chance there will be more water birth facilities for everyone.

• Advertisement

Fagashlil wrote: »
    I'm the exact same, trying to avoid an epidural as my PGP is so bad the physio has reccommend I don't have one to avoid permanent damage. I've this image in my head about how lovely it will all be, so if the pool isn't free I'm screwed! I'm not due till the 8th, so hopefully we don't clash!!
    I'm due Oct 7th and come hell or high water this baby is not staying put past that!! Famous last words eh?
    I'm having acupuncture Friday of next week to get things started. Hopefully that will help. Generally it takes about a week from starting acupuncture to delivery which will allow me time to get in and out and have vacated the pool in time for you :-)
    Make sure you put together a birthplan stating that you wish to labour and deliver in the pool. Have a couple of copies so you can give it to the various midwives you'll be dealing with and let them know as soon as you hit the delivery suite and even before that you wish to try it. I think quite a few people are using it for labouring but not so many for birth.
    My wife wants any future babies (fingers crossed) in the water now!:)

Best of luck!

Thank you! :) As above make your birthplan available and known from the earliest possible stages.
    My wife had hoped to avoid an epidural too but came extremely close due to the pain. Thankfully the pool became available and was a huge help with the pain.
    Best of luck with everything! :)

It seems that the best position to have the baby in the pool is on all fours, this combined with the water will help to reduce any tears if they happen.
    You will still get the skin to skin as soon as he is born and I seeing the baby being delivered in this way is truly magical.

There may be an option to allow some extra staff be present for the delivery. I would strongly recommend allowing them remain if you feel up to it. The staff there are wonderful and the more that become experienced in water births than the more chance there will be more water birth facilities for everyone.

I broke my coccyx about 18 months ago and the injury was horrendous. Actually I've been interested all along to see how much (if at all) worse giving birth would be.
    I have a very high pain threshold, tried and tested, and yet that coccyx break was just awful. Influenced a lot by the time it took to heal and recover too.
    The epidural could greatly increase the chances of that old injury being affected again and I could really live without that. It is my main reason for trying to avoid the epidural.
    Overall though my plan (such as it is) is very much to go with the flow, hope for the best, but ultimately the only outcome I really want is for myself and my baby to be ok after wards.

I'm due Oct 7th and come hell or high water this baby is not staying put past that!! Famous last words eh?
    I'm having acupuncture Friday of next week to get things started. Hopefully that will help. Generally it takes about a week from starting acupuncture to delivery which will allow me time to get in and out and have vacated the pool in time for you :-)
    /QUOTE]

I've been saying the same, baba will be out by the 8th no matter what!! I'm having reflexology from 37 weeks to try to get things started, it worked so well for when when baby was transverse unti last week, and she helped to turn him, I'll be back to her to get this labour started!! So with any luck will have been and gone by the time ya need the pool!!

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭Clare in Exile

Great to hear that it went well. Wife is due in November at the Coombe. Just a query re the depth of the water in the birthing pool - is it shallow or somewhat deeper? Thanks...

Great to hear that it went well. Wife is due in November at the Coombe. Just a query re the depth of the water in the birthing pool - is it shallow or somewhat deeper? Thanks...

Quite high, it's a biggish bath and would probably be up around chest height when sitting down. It is important to keep the hips in the water during the process.
    As her birth partner you will be able to be right beside her during the whole process.
    Best of luck with it! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1 shaunac1

Hi i am just wondering about the water births in the coombe price wise? Do you have to go private or?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

shaunac1 wrote: »
    Hi i am just wondering about the water births in the coombe price wise? Do you have to go private or?

AFAIK it's open to anyone? It was available to me when I was on Domino scheme, unfortunately on the day I couldn't use it for a long and boring reason. But would definitely use it if all goes to plan this time around!

It's available on everyone, public/private/domino, it is in quite high demand so it may be occupied.

I didn put unfortunately get to use it, baba had his own ideas about how he was entering the world, but have heard from people who did and it was amazing

• Registered Users Posts: 1,445 ✭✭✭bovril

As said above it's availability of the delivery suite that has the pool. It's also availability of midwives who are trained in a water birth. I'm pretty sure too that you have to have an uncomplicated pregnancy. There is a leaflet on it available from the Coombe. Have a look next time you're in there and maybe ask if you can't find it. I know of two women who have had a water birth. When the time came for me to go to a delivery suite I was put in the water birth room. A water birth wasn't an option for me due to pregnancy complications and the need to be hooked up to a machine constantly. The room is massive and looks state of the art.

I'm having acupuncture Friday of next week to get things started. Hopefully that will help.

I broke my coccyx about 18 months ago and the injury was horrendous. Actually I've been interested all along to see how much (if at all) worse giving birth would be.
    The epidural could greatly increase the chances of that old injury being affected again and I could really live without that. It is my main reason for trying to avoid the epidural.
    Overall though my plan (such as it is) is very much to go with the flow, hope for the best, but ultimately the only outcome I really want is for myself and my baby to be ok after wards.

While it may be bad manners to quote myself reading my posts from over a year ago made me laugh.
    I never got to have my acupuncture to help get things started as posted on 13/09/2014. My little girl put in an early appearance and was born on 15/9/2014 after my waters broke suddenly and surprisingly at 36 weeks.

Thankfully everything went really well but the use of the pool was totally out of the quetion.
    My labour progressed very quickly (contractions started between midday and 2pm and the baby was born at 23:06) and I had an epidural aout 40/60 minutes before she was born. It helped a lot.
    I lay on my side for delivery and so my coccyx wasn't affected at all.

Having broken my coccyx and now having given birth I can safely say that breaking your coccyx is far far worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭MistyCheese

Best laid plans, ay Penny? ;-) These little'uns have their own ideas of how and when they're coming out sometimes!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,528 ✭✭✭ShaShaBear

Giving birth in the water sounds so lovely, everyone I know that has done it in and out of water rates water top every time.
    Unfortunately I'm only allowed to labour in the pool in Cavan, have to get out to push!

Bumpedy bump!

We just had our second baby in the pool in the Coombe. Since the last fella made a splash 2 years ago, there has been nearly 100 more births. My wife and I couldn't speak anymore highly of the staff or experience.

Once again, the staff there are truly amazing, we promised to plug the pool birth as much as possible for them. If we are adding to our pod, it will definitely be in water next time too!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,270 ✭✭✭✭fits

So lucky you have that option available to you! I really like the idea of it.

I believe it may be the only public pool in Ireland where you can do all stages of labour and birth. If you are interested in using it, try to let the staff know as soon as possible

Im expecting twins so just dont have these kind of options. A friend used the pool in cumh and said it was fantastic.

• Advertisement

Congratulations! maybe next time :D

Ha! No I think this will be it for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,865 ✭✭✭✭January

They're doing a study at the moment so only very few people will qualify to birth in the pool, they don't want to skew the results.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭Beanybabog

I'd love that but Holles street doesn't have one. Maybe when they move to Vincent's but I'll be finished my family at that stage!!

• Registered Users Posts: 662 ✭✭✭wuffly

I had a waterbirth, not in Ireland. I'm a ftm so nothing to compare it to but from my experience highly recommend it! Had a great midwife to coach me through it, great way to keep it natural!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,299 ✭✭✭Gatica

Unfortunately not all hospitals allow you to give birth in the pool. Such a shame, as stats are highly in its favour. Galway has a pool, but only for labouring.

Advertisement