Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The Weird, Wacky and Awesome World of the NFL - General Banter thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

BcsQ_vmCYAAv24m.jpg

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,093 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Joe Thomas: "Great franchises don't fire the coaching staff after one season"

Not sure there was too much more they could have done, Pity Hoyer got injured, still 2 first round picks and one of the best receivers in the league.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Manchester United have The Theatre of Dreams.

Cleveland Bowns have The Factory of Sadness.

The most epic and apt stadium nickname in the world, by a country mile. :D

adrian522 wrote: »
    Joe Thomas: "Great franchises don't fire the coaching staff after one season"

Not sure there was too much more they could have done, Pity Hoyer got injured, still 2 first round picks and one of the best receivers in the league.

I think he's been very hard done by. Injury to his main QB among others, front office actively trying to trade Gordon during the season, his running back traded to the Colts mid-season. I mean, one can only blame head coaches for so long before you have to look at those above him. I wouldn't be at all surprised to see them make an absolute bollocks of the 2014 draft as usual and be back to square one this time next year.

Some interesting Tweets:

6d628a850b816fcdf9192de47453a2fd.png

When Joe Thomas speaks out, you know something's up. Guy's one of the most low profile, best professionals in sports. This would be like Paul Scholes coming out and criticising those above him... he's not one for publicity (Joe Thomas went fishing with family when he knew he'd be a top 10 draft pick, because he'd promised to before the draft dates were announced).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,632 ✭✭✭nerd69

Billy86 wrote: »
    When Joe Thomas speaks out, you know something's up. Guy's one of the most low profile, best professionals in sports. This would be like Paul Scholes coming out and criticising those above him... he's not one for publicity (Joe Thomas went fishing with family when he knew he'd be a top 10 draft pick, because he'd promised to before the draft dates were announced).

whens his contract up i would imagine he wants out now. this seems to be the straw that broke the camels back

• Registered Users Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭spiritcrusher

The last 4 head coaches fired in the AFC North have been from the Cleveland Browns.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,599 ✭✭✭matthew8

nerd69 wrote: »
    whens his contract up i would imagine he wants out now. this seems to be the straw that broke the camels back

That's not for a long long time. He has a very long contract, essentially a brown for life.

nerd69 wrote: »
    I'm guessing so. Sucks for them because, especially with the Steelers and Ravens struggling, they looked a RB & QB away from being a possible contender. Get some other decent WR options and maybe a RB in FA, try get the QB high, and look for two 'high risk, high reward' RBs in the 4-6th rounds and you never know. But one of the top LTs in the league is a big thing to lose.

I wonder where he'll go? He won't struggle to get paid well on a good team, just a bit sleep now and can't figure out where he best money/success chances would be.

Let's not forget Alex Mack is also up for FA either this year or next. Thomas just went 29 in December, and Mack 28 in November so both are good for big money 4-5 year deals around the league.

One also shares the same name as the 'normal' guy from The Inbetweeners, and the other with that old Alex Mack Nickelodeon TV show... which I noticed when I Googled their ages. :p

252 days until week 1 of the 2014 season :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,599 ✭✭✭matthew8

I'm guessing so. Sucks for them because, especially with the Steelers and Ravens struggling, they looked a RB & QB away from being a possible contender. Get some other decent WR options and maybe a RB in FA, try get the QB high, and look for two 'high risk, high reward' RBs in the 4-6th rounds and you never know. But one of the top LTs in the league is a big thing to lose.

I wonder where he'll go? He won't struggle to get paid well on a good team, just a bit sleep now and can't figure out where he best money/success chances would be.

Let's not forget Alex Mack is also up for FA either this year or next. Thomas just went 29 in December, and Mack 28 in November so both are good for big money 4-5 year deals around the league.

One also shares the same name as the 'normal' guy from The Inbetweeners, and the other with that old Alex Mack Nickelodeon TV show... which I noticed when I Googled their ages. :p

He's not a FA until 2018. I'd say he's going nowhere.

matthew8 wrote: »
    He's not a FA until 2018. I'd say he's going nowhere.
    Yeah, misread the other posters' message. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

Paully D wrote: »
    252 days until week 1 of the 2014 season :pac:

Nominated for the most suicide inducing post of the year.

Nominated for the most suicide inducing post of the year.
    Well if you're a fan of a playoff team... it's not the case!

How GB are in the playoffs is beyond being beyond me, to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

Ya we are, but it's just the sheer thought of how far the 2014 season start is away from this point.

Giants became the first 9-7 team to win a SB, surely to God an 8-8 team won't do it?

Ya we are, but it's just the sheer thought of how far the 2014 season start is away from this point.

Giants became the first 9-7 team to win a SB, surely to God an 8-8 team won't do it?
    We've done it with the 6th seed before all on the road so you never know, and Rodgers/Cobb back is massive, but our defense is like yours was in 2011/12 (and ours in those years too actually) - it's at the point I laugh at it like you laugh at a goat trying to write a book.

REALLY wanted DAL in since I figured quite a doable route was SF --> @CAR --> DAL, but hey you never know 'til you know.

As for your first sentence, don't wanna even think about it right now! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭spiralism

No but the night of Sunday the 12th is going to take years off my life

spiralism wrote: »
    No but the night of Sunday the 12th is going to take years off my life
    No offense intended, but I could see preseason OTA taking at least 3-4 months off your life after the Pats/Broncos game. :p

For what it's worth, I get very, very wound up in games as well. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭spiralism

No offense intended, but I could see preseason OTA taking at least 3-4 months off your life after the Pats/Broncos game. :p

For what it's worth, I get very, very wound up in games as well. :D

Yeah, i developed this rep i have with watching the Broncos over time, too used to the ****ups. Gonna be very very wound up no matter who we're playing, any of the three it could be are a tough task for us, unlike if it were say Miami, Pittsburgh or Baltimore, who we match well with.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭davyjose

Quick question: why was the TD in the GB-Bears game (you know the one) nott an incompletoon? Presumably it was considered a fumble?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

davyjose wrote: »
    Quick question: why was the TD in the GB-Bears game (you know the one) nott an incompletoon? Presumably it was considered a fumble?

Rodgers hand was empty as it went forward, he kinda pushed the ball the whole way instead of ever throwing it, so it was considered a fumble.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

SantryRed wrote: »
    Rodgers hand was empty as it went forward, he kinda pushed the ball the whole way instead of ever throwing it, so it was considered a fumble.
    Same thing happened last week in the Colts game against KC. Mathis basically strip-sacked Smith and he pushed the ball forward the same way Rodgers did last not but it was ruled as a pass and not a fumble, Freeman caught it and it counted as an INT as opposed to a sack-fumble for Mathis.

SantryRed wrote: »

Wow. I'd feel hard done by that if I were a Bears fan. Although they had an opportunity to run it in too.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,729 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

Wow. I'd feel hard done by that if I were a Bears fan. Although they had an opportunity to run it in too.

It was clearly a fumble. The Bears fans shouldn't feel hard done by, they should blame the players for not continuing to play until the play was blown dead. Brainless stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,438 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

The league are investigating how the injury report was done with regard to romo in week 16.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,636 ✭✭✭phatkev

Pudsy33 wrote: »
    It was clearly a fumble. The Bears fans shouldn't feel hard done by, they should blame the players for not continuing to play until the play was blown dead. Brainless stuff.

It wasn't that clear. The ball went forward. Alex smith had an interception for yhe exact same thing last week against indy
    Either way it was a turnover but officially it was a pick, not a fumble recovery.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,729 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

It wasn't that clear. The ball went forward. Alex smith had an interception for yhe exact same thing last week against indy
    Either way it was a turnover but officially it was a pick, not a fumble recovery.

Regardless of that, the bears player should have kept playing. Assume the play is still alive. You have nothing to lose.

Pudsy33 wrote: »
    Regardless of that, the bears player should have kept playing. Assume the play is still alive. You have nothing to lose.

Yeah. Agree 100% with you there. Play to the whistle.

• Advertisement

Looks like the Badgers had a slight bias during the Bears Packers clash...

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement