Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Creative Writing courses in Galway?

Options
  • 21-08-2015 1:15am
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Anyone know of any creative writing classes/groups in Galway? Surrounding areas are fine too. Preferably open to all ages [I'm fifteen and very interested in attending] and with links or contact info please? Thanks so much :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10 mick.collier

Despite often being described as 'the Arts capital of Ireland,' Galway has little or nothing by way of creative writing classes. Over the Edge is the only one I've come across who regularly run such classes. If you google them, you'll find they're running two courses starting in Sept. One for beginners and one called 'intermediate writing,' 'for people who've already done a writing class or been published'.
    It's an indication of how little there is going on in this area in Galway and is quite depressing. Best of luck.

Just saw a poster in Java's cafe for 'Little Kingdoms' which describes itself as 'A new writer's support group for people who detest writer's groups'. I really wanted to write on it, saying 'Shouldn't that be "writers' group"?' (since the group doesn't belong to any one writer) but I didn't. And I think that was pretty big of me!

PS. Little Kingdoms meet in The Secret Garden teashop on William Street West (down by the Blue Note) every Saturday at 3pm.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 coppertone

One can't help but question why we're given that reputation when the creative writing scene in Galway seems pitifully small...still, I just checked out Over the Edge; looks fantastic but a little costly unfortunately! Recently paid for after school study and still in need of some books and whatnot so I'll have to pass up until next time.

Little Kingdoms definitely sounds interesting though, thank you! I might pop in to that cafe and check out the leaflet; did you happen to catch any contact information? It seems that the few writing classes there are here are geared towards people far older than me so I'm trying to avoid any kind of awkward misunderstandings! [Good job on leaving the correction too ;)]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Qualitymark

Clifden Arts Week is coming up: head on over there and ask your question and all will be revealed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23 skankrandy

NUIG has a couple of courses in writing at the minute. They're degrees and masters so it would be a bit down the line for you but if you contact the English department I imagine someone could give you some information. A few people in my class have mentioned a couple of different ones but I just wouldn't know them off the top of my head

Advertisement