Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How much holidays do lecturers get each year?

Options
  • 01-08-2014 10:27am
    Registered Users Posts: 14

It seems a closely guarded secret or do all universities in Ireland have different holidays; I ask because I have received many answers does anyone know?

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,683 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

Holidays would be according to their contract. They would be entitled to the legal minimum of four weeks per year at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 smallfort

Tree wrote: »
    Holidays would be according to their contract. They would be entitled to the legal minimum of four weeks per year at least.

Ok do it's not an even platform like secondary school teachers? So is it incorrect to assume they get the same holidays as third level students?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 306 ✭✭innad

They do not get the same holidays as third level students.

innad wrote: »

So lecturers who are permanent do they get the same holidays as each other?

Is there a difference between institutions?

innad wrote: »

So lecturers who are permanent do they get the same holidays as each other?

Is there a difference between institutions?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭Ostrom

Curse of my life answering this question....
    We get the statutory minimum (20 days), and five closure days at christmas. Term time is teaching, supervision, class prep and various admin - department committees, grading, etc. Most research gets done in the summer, as does writing and conferencing.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,820 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

smallfort wrote: »
    Ok do it's not an even platform like secondary school teachers? So is it incorrect to assume they get the same holidays as third level students?

Yes

Lecturers do lots and lots of other work than lecturing including admin, research, academic planning

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

Advertisement