Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Squeaky wheel (i think)

Options
  • 26-01-2008 9:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 585 ✭✭✭

Iv got a squeak/squealing type of noise coming from one of my wheels. I think it might be the front passenger side wheel. But it doesn't always squeak. Its first happened about 3 weeks ago and continued for a few days and then it stopped until last weekend. Then it stopped and happened again yesterday and today. Its a thing thats coming and going. But it doesn't always squeak - i might be out driving for about 15/20 minutes and then it starts squeaking.
    Would anyone know what this might be?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Make/model/year?

Does the squeak happen randomly, or does it happen when you brake, go over rough ground, etc, etc?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 585 ✭✭✭lisajane

98 fiesta. Happens randomly

Hmmmm.... Hard to say really. Try to keep an eye on when it happens and what you're doing at the time - driving conditions etc.

Is it relevant to road speed - i.e does the squeak appear more rapid/slower according to your speed.

What is the condition of your brake pads/discs? Worn pads or a disc with a lip can cause squeaks.

normally happens when im slowing down. I got the car serviced and a nct check before the xmas. So i think the mechanic should have spotted if there was anything wrong with the brake pads or discs. I don't know how to check it myself. Im better off getting it checked out anyway, iv got my nct coming up in a few weeks. I hate my car. Nothing but problems. I can't wait until the wheather gets a bit better, im getting a bike. So much easier and less hassle than a car.

crosstownk wrote: »
    Make/model/year?

Does the squeak happen randomly, or does it happen when you brake?
    lisajane wrote: »
    normally happens when im slowing down.

So it's not totally 'random'.

Then the problem is most likely due to wear in you brakes. If new pads were fitted during the pre NCT check then it may simply be that they need some copper grease applied to the back plat of the pads. Go back to your mechanic and explain the problem.

• Advertisement

I drove my car home last night and had the radio switched off so i can listen to the squeak. There was a time when i braked a small bit and it started the whole squeaking thing, even when i wasn't braking. But when i came to do a turn, slowed down using the brake, there was definately a squeak. But it was a quieter little squeak with the brakes. Anyway from i read it could be the brake pads or discs. Would anyone know how much this would cost to fix?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

If it's normal pad and disk wear not a hell of a lot. Brakepads for that type of car are affordable enough ( around 40 ish for the parts and depending where you go they can have them supplied and fitted for well under 100 euro ) . Disks aren't too pricey either.

Took the car to my mechanic today. He took it out for a spin and said it was brake dust or something. I don't know how he could have known it was dust from just riding it. How can dust create so much squeak? Anyway i don't mind, i got to eye up the mechanic for a while. He's hot.

lisajane wrote: »
    Anyway i don't mind, i got to eye up the mechanic for a while. He's hot.

Glad it all worked out in your favour :D

Cleaning the dust is a handy job - usually a quick dose of brake cleaner spray will sort it out. But perhaps you'd prefer a more lengthy affair ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

His explanation is quite plausible. The basic principle of a brake is friction. The pads are made of a heat resistant material softer than steel ( that's what the discs are made of ), when you push the brake pedal the pads clamp down on the disc without locking it creating friction slowing you down. As the pads are softer than steel they wear out quicker and quite often leave deposits behind ( brake dust ). If this stuff builds up it can cause the brake to become a bit noisy. Next time you wash the car use a powerwasher and give the brakes a good spray ( let them cool down a bit first, give them a good lashing when you're rincing of the suds ). Or let your mechanic do it and enjoy the sight. :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭thetaxman

Check barrings.

thetaxman wrote: »
    Check barrings.

Bearings don't usually squeak - they usually make a droning noise which becomes more prominent when rounding corners as the weight is shifted to one side. If bearings become completely fcuked then they tend to make a grinding noise. Squeaking from the wheel is usually down to brakes - 99% of the time.

Advertisement