Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Mazda 6, Toyota Avensis or VW Passat? 2005

Options
  • 24-01-2008 5:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭

All things being equal which car (second hand) would posters go for out of the three given?

Lets say Diesel 2005 versions?? i love the Passat but i think it might be a bit big so the Hatchback Avensis or Mazda 6 are really sticking out at me.

leaning ever so slightly to the Mazda 6 - i think its because there are a bit less of them on the roads compared to the other two

Which second hand car - all things being equal? 47 votes

Mazda 6
    0% 0 votes
    Avensis
    55% 26 votes
    Passat
    44% 21 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 542 ✭✭✭groupb

Mazda 6 for relability , handling , build quality etc.
    Avensis for comfort.
    Passat for .......... I'll get back to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

groupb wrote: »
    Mazda 6 for relability , handling , build quality etc.
    Avensis for comfort:D
    Passat for..........

BOOOOOOOO!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 73,388 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

I'm driving an Avensis D-4D Luna and they're very comfy, not in a French way, the seats are nice and supportive and the suspension is biassed towards comfort (Ireland specific suspension fitted to all Avensii)
    I might add that I'm terribly biassed, but I'm a fan of the Mazda6.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭GERMAN ROCKS

id buy the passat. there the must roomy inside. they have the biggest boot. the new one was just launched in 2005 so it would be the newest model of the three and im my opinion they look the best out the other too aswell. also there very reliable

• Registered Users Posts: 9,248 ✭✭✭Plug

id buy the passat. there the must roomy inside. they have the biggest boot. the new one was just launched in 2005 so it would be the newest model of the three and im my opinion they look the best out the other too aswell. also there very reliable
    +1:cool:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

The Passat is rubbish for reliability! The days VW(like Merc) made reliable cars are as old as the days when diesels could be heard coming a mile away!

@colm_mcm: is that really true about the suspension being unique for Ireland in the Avensis? They do ride extremely well allright and are a very comfortable car to be driven in for a long journey!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,248 ✭✭✭Plug

E92 wrote: »
    The Passat is rubbish for reliability!

are you sure of that? I thought they are great cars:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 51,147 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

I had an Avensis 1.8 Luna for 4.5 years and found it very comfortable, did alot of miles in that car and found the seats and driving position very good over long journeys. I would avoid the 1.6 though as it is a little sluggish under that heavy body.

I'm also a big fan of the Mazda 6, it is a nice car and has a more sportier drive than the Avensis. Nearly bought one myself but the only let down I found is that the interior is a little low rent. Other than that they are a fine car. The Sport Touring model is the one to get, it is well kitted out.

Regarding the Passat, well imo they are overpriced, overrated and nowhere near as rock solid as VW claim them to be. Not my cup of tea.

At the end of the day OP you will need to drive all 3 cars and see which one you like the best.

Plug wrote: »
    are you sure of that? I thought they are great cars:confused:

Unfortunately VW have been living off their reputation for reliability for the last 10 years or so instead of building on it. They have as many problems if not more than other cars out there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 542 ✭✭✭groupb

Who told you they are relabile? You've obviously never had the missfortune to be given one as a company car. I inherited one from a previous employee ,a 07' 41,000euros pile of s***e or in VW speak a 2.0tdi sportline (with leather(possibly plastic). This had to be the worst built most unrelabile thing that I have ever driven. I have never been so uncomfortable in a car before and after a while the rattles had me teetering on the brink.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,423 ✭✭✭pburns

id buy the passat...
    ...also there very reliable

:rolleyes::D

Passats are anything but reliable. especially the new generation.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭jones

Interesting :confused: I thought the Passats would be reliable cars but the general consensus here seems to be the opposite.
    As one poster said I suppose the best thing for me to do is test drive the three of them (I've already driven an Avensis D4D and found it comfortable)

Thanks for all the responses

• Registered Users Posts: 23,281 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

The passat is no bmw but way ahead of others here. Few niggles with some but should be sorted on a 3 year old. Family have one of the very first new model cars. It was recalled for a couple of things but all fine. Have heard about fuel pumps being a problem too.
    However, Mazda and toyota very plasticy inside. Even new model mazda 6 nowhere near audi bmw etc. VW get close to audi with the interiors... same company after all. Passat is the newest model there also. Avensis is a taxi... Easy wipe dash. Look at avensis and open the boot. you will nearly pull it off the car. So light. Crap.
    Money wise, Mazda will be worth nothing in a couple of years with new model already out. Avensis due 2010 or so but no new passat til at least 2012 2013.
    No brainer! PASSAT.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

mickdw wrote: »
    Look at avensis and open the boot. you will nearly pull it off the car. So light. Crap.

What an incredibly stupid statement... Just because they didn't stiffen the hinge doesn't make it light and crap. An Avensis, Mazda 6 and Passat are all around the same weight, and weight has nothing to do with quality. Look at F1 cars if you need convincing. I'll put any money on you not being able to pull the boot of any of those cars off.
    Are you one of the "Ah Honda's are crap, they're only tin" brigade?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,862 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

Mazda 6 (best handling of your list) or think about buying a Mondeo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

Biro wrote: »
    What an incredibly stupid statement... Just because they didn't stiffen the hinge doesn't make it light and crap. An Avensis, Mazda 6 and Passat are all around the same weight, and weight has nothing to do with quality.

+1. The Avensis feels a far better made car than the Passat(and far better made too as it turns out). It feels like an Audi inside it. Far superior in terms of build quality to the Passat, and just about every other Jap car(practically every Jap car before about 5 years ago felt like it was made out of tin) before about 5 years ago and since then many Japanese cars not only look like a quality item, but more importantly will be a quality item(most always were anyway, but always felt terribly made even though they weren't) long after the Passat has gone to the grave.

And that "light" boot is exactly the same as any modern Merc, they pop up straight away, and if Toyota is matching a Merc in this regard then they must be doing something right!

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,062 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

'04 Avensis hatch 2 litre diesel, love it. Very comfortable, loads of room in the boot with the lift back. Didn't feel cheap to me at all.

the liftback solves the light boot door issue! pity the diesel liftbacks sold new in Ireand are all base spec

colm_mcm wrote: »
    the liftback solves the light boot door issue! pity the diesel liftbacks sold new in Ireand are all base spec

Really i've seen a fair few high spec diesel Avensis liftbacks on carzone.ie (T3, Spirit models)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,062 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

Mines a uk one, T2. Has aircon, electric windows, cd/tape(wtf?!) with steeringwheel controls.

yeah whats with the tape decks in new cars these days do they even still sell tape deck radios in electrical shops!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,155 ✭✭✭blackbox

I voted Passat

I don't like the look of the Avensis - can't put my finger on it but there is somethign wrong with the proportions.

Mazda 6 - too cramped in back, especially lacking headroom.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,155 ✭✭✭blackbox

groupb wrote: »
    Who told you they are relabile? You've obviously never had the missfortune to be given one as a company car. I inherited one from a previous employee ,a 07' 41,000euros pile of s***e or in VW speak a 2.0tdi sportline (with leather(possibly plastic). This had to be the worst built most unrelabile thing that I have ever driven. I have never been so uncomfortable in a car before and after a while the rattles had me teetering on the brink.

There are unsupported complaints made about Passat reilaiability, so I'd be interested to hear how it let them down from someone such as yourself who has personal experience? BTW 41,000 euros seems a very high price.

I have a petrol comfortline (didn't think lower suspension in the sportline would be right for Irish roads) and it hasn't let me down yet (only 32k km). Car not faultless, but fixed under warranty no prob.

blackbox wrote: »
    There are unsupported complaints made about Passat reilaiability, so I'd be interested to hear how it let them down from someone such as yourself who has personal experience? BTW 41,000 euros seems a very high price.

I have a petrol comfortline (didn't think lower suspension in the sportline would be right for Irish roads) and it hasn't let me down yet (only 32k km). Car not faultless, but fixed under warranty no prob.

My uncle has a 07 Comfortline, these are the issues he had with it in 12 months of ownership:

1. Onboard computer displaying false ECU error codes, brought back to dealer who cleared these codes.
    2. False ECU error codes reappeared, brought back to dealer again who upgraded the ECU software. Apparently a know issue.
    3. Electronic handbrake - frequently didn't engage/disengage properly, brought back to dealer who kept the car for 1 week to replace it. Again appears to be a know problem.
    4. Rattle from around the dashboard that nobody can pinpoint.

It has seen the dealers garage more times than my old car did in 4.5 years.

blackbox wrote: »

Mazda 6 - too cramped in back, especially lacking headroom.

What? It's probably a 3 saloon you were in... the 6 is the same size as Passat and Avensis inside.

jones wrote: »
    yeah whats with the tape decks in new cars these days do they even still sell tape deck radios in electrical shops!!!!

I actually find it handy for the MP3 player with the cassette thingy. Better than the FM tuner from the point of view that in this country too may stations leak over too broad a range on FM, therefore I find it harder to keep to a single channel for a whole journey.

jones wrote: »
    Really i've seen a fair few high spec diesel Avensis liftbacks on carzone.ie (T3, Spirit models)
    T3 and T-Spirit are UK specs, not Irish.
    MarkR wrote: »
    Mines a uk one, T2. Has aircon, electric windows, cd/tape(wtf?!) with steeringwheel controls.
    That would be the equivelant of Aura (base) spec here. compared with a Mondeo Zetec etc. would be basic.
    Cassette player was dropped in 2006 in favour of MP3 compatibility.
    As I said, all DIESEL liftbacks sold new in Ireland are Aura spec. Luna (high) spec was only available in liftback form with the 1.8 VVT-i petrol engine.

Advertisement