Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Best UK car sites?

Options
  • 05-06-2013 12:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,413 ✭✭✭

Hi All,
    I want to buy a UK Car (Focus Estate probably) 2008/9/10... a friend recommended cargiant.co.uk and it seems great. But the selection is lacking for what I'm after.. are there are good reliable sites similar to this I can try?
    Thanks
    Ste

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,089 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

Car giant is not really UK car site.
    It's a biggest second hand car dealer in UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,144 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

cargiant.co.uk are just a car supermarket company so they will only advertise stock they are selling themselves.

autotrader.co.uk or donedeal.co.uk are general car advertising websites.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭MidlandsM

I'd go straight to auction for one, just off lease that was well looked serviced....and not a 1.6 diesel one, they're shyte, deffo the 1.8 tdci choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,413 ✭✭✭Steroo

MidlandsM wrote: »
    I'd go straight to auction for one, just off lease that was well looked serviced....and not a 1.6 diesel one, they're shyte, deffo the 1.8 tdci choice.

Thank Midlands. What's the issue with the 1.6?
    Where does one start with Auction.. have to actually attend one & hope for the best?

I know about Cargiant & how it works.. I like the model.. so was looking for a similar site or are they the main one?

Anyone used them before? Will I get a much better deal direct with a seller or at auction?

Thanks a lot

• Registered Users Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭Stallingrad

No, no, no. 2.0TDCI Titanium is far better.

• Advertisement

No, no, no. 2.0TDCI Titanium is far better.

sure is ......:D

Re; auction, well yeah, you go to auction, and buy, but if you know how to go about it, you'll get a good car, for a good price......shure most of the stuff you see on ebay or in cargiant are bought out of the big auction houses. I'm at BCA every week buying stuff for myself and trade clients, i see those focus's estates all the time, they're quite common as they were used a lot by lease co's for rep mobiles.

edit; just checked BCA there, they've 22 1.8 tdci focus estates in stock, and 4 in 2.0 tdci flavour.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,144 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

And to add, you get the proper 2.0 TDCi with 140bhp in the Focus over in the UK unlike the detuned 115bhp version we only get over here with the power shift box.

I'd go for sommit like this...... 2008 low tax, 1.8 115bhp zetec, 79k miles with main dealer history showing 6 services....taxed an all, so you could drive her home, no bothers.

GetDoc.aspx?enc=9jHxjg9JULmBVOh1HXy7xuBvBrAmcnctEU1YccKd1YubcenHTljbwQak7EyMzkzRqkCU0kIMUblA0bfzQED3%2bA%3d%3d

GetDoc.aspx?enc=9jHxjg9JULmBVOh1HXy7xuBvBrAmcnctEU1YccKd1YsAuOATVb4XMG5bYjciQtS%2fqkCU0kIMUblA0bfzQED3%2bA%3d%3d

GetDoc.aspx?enc=9jHxjg9JULmBVOh1HXy7xuBvBrAmcnctEU1YccKd1YuBKk1Mw7oEBDKztITcv908qkCU0kIMUblA0bfzQED3%2bA%3d%3d

• Registered Users Posts: 14,240 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

Are the Focus 1.6's(Hatch) not worth their weight?

That looks 100% ideal Midlands... thanks. Where did you see that? BCA?
    I had a look at the site & I need to register yea?

a friend said avoid the Focus & just go for a Mondeo.. bit more money but worth it he reckons... would you agree?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Bought a couple of cars of pistonheads and a few of autotrader.
    Cargiant.ie get good reviews.

Sister has a Focus, grand car, but if you have a few sprogs or bring a bit in the boot they are small. Mondeo would be a much bigger bus.

As they say on phonejacker, you can also try our website www.ineedacarnowcanIshagyoursisters.co.uk Always loads of stock ;)

I'm in now Midlands & see that car on BCA.. that's a great site thanks.
    Would many be bidding on these usually?
    I'd be afraid to fly over & be out bid for the car I'm after... that's the risk I suppose. Good to see the 2.0 models there.. didn't see any for sale over here.
    Any of the BCA Auction houses up North?
    Thanks for your help!

Steroo wrote: »
    I'm in now Midlands & see that car on BCA.. that's a great site thanks.
    Would many be bidding on these usually?
    I'd be afraid to fly over & be out bid for the car I'm after... that's the risk I suppose. Good to see the 2.0 models there.. didn't see any for sale over here.
    Any of the BCA Auction houses up North?
    Thanks for your help!

no, none in the north.

That focus I showed is in birmingham.......if you want, why not come over and meet me there, and I'll check over on a hitlist .....and buy one.

Are the Focus 1.6's(Hatch) not worth their weight?

they're shyte ....... have a reputation of having a soft psa engine unit in them. For a shade extra, a 1.8 is a much better option, the differnce in tax is little

no, none in the north.

That focus I showed is in birmingham.......if you want, why not come over and meet me there, and I'll check over on a hitlist .....and buy one.

As it's tomorrow it's bit short notice for me... but thanks for the offer. Do you go to these auctions weekly? I've a limited budget so any idea what price that might sell for tomorrow?

I'll not be there tomorrow, next weeek I'mm be there, they go for approx 4.5k stg to 5.3k stg.....thereabouts, depending on the car, and who's bidding of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭myshirt

Imperial Car Supermarket.

Also, most of these car supermarkets go with someone like http://www.carcareplan.co.uk/ for warranties.

They are no quibble and quick acting if something goes wrong with the car. Well, you know, up to a point.

Most of these big guys are reputable, and little crap finds it's way onto the forecourt.

Nevertheless, the usual caveats apply. Be smart.

I find with the uk cars, they know how to price them. You'll get what you pay for.

Over here there are a number of lemons, only priced the way they are by reference to similar model in best condition. Unfortunately, shine any car up and you can flog it to a certain cohort.

Try autoxpress in Limerick, quality cars and good guys. 90% ex UK, he has some fords that were treated well.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,106 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I have seen thread on here about Car Giant and one guys experience of heading over to buy a car off them.

Do a search and I'm sure you'll find it.

I'd go for sommit like this...... 2008 low tax, 1.8 115bhp zetec, 79k miles with main dealer history showing 6 services....taxed an all, so you could drive her home, no bothers.

GetDoc.aspx?enc=9jHxjg9JULmBVOh1HXy7xuBvBrAmcnctEU1YccKd1YubcenHTljbwQak7EyMzkzRqkCU0kIMUblA0bfzQED3%2bA%3d%3d

GetDoc.aspx?enc=9jHxjg9JULmBVOh1HXy7xuBvBrAmcnctEU1YccKd1YsAuOATVb4XMG5bYjciQtS%2fqkCU0kIMUblA0bfzQED3%2bA%3d%3d

GetDoc.aspx?enc=9jHxjg9JULmBVOh1HXy7xuBvBrAmcnctEU1YccKd1YuBKk1Mw7oEBDKztITcv908qkCU0kIMUblA0bfzQED3%2bA%3d%3d

just to update this, I was watching this online just there now (buying some other cars) and the hammer dropped on this at £3825 (provisional), I'd say 4k stg would buy it.

so, on a 4k spend, you attract circa £385 buyers fees, plus vat £77, then expences €400 thereabouts, then vrt of circa €1607, so approx €7500 bought, home and cleared.

dealer price, 10k straight, €10750 trade in price
    http://www.carzone.ie/search/Ford/Focus/1.8-TDCI/31113523892248180/advert?channel=CARS&featuredListingClickThru=true

a nice €2,500 saving!

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Donnchadh

just to update this, I was watching this online just there now (buying some other cars) and the hammer dropped on this at £3825 (provisional), I'd say 4k stg would buy it.

so, on a 4k spend, you attract circa £385 buyers fees, plus vat £77, then expences €400 thereabouts, then vrt of circa €1607, so approx €7500 bought, home and cleared.

dealer price, 10k straight, €10750 trade in price
    http://www.carzone.ie/search/Ford/Focus/1.8-TDCI/31113523892248180/advert?channel=CARS&featuredListingClickThru=true

a nice €2,500 saving!

Thinking of heading over next week any tips? Any idea of savings compared to buying in the uk from a place like cargiant? Looking at maybe Audi A4 around 2010

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭shankespony

Look at Honestjohn, good details on makes models, whats, good , bad and recalls etc

Advertisement