Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fishing in Dublin city center

Options
  • 10-07-2011 4:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 869 ✭✭✭

Well I am now living in Smithfield with no transport except for bicycle so I'm trying to find places to fish near by, in the past I have worked in an angling shop for many, many years and have fished all over the country, I would prefer trout or course fishing but sea fishing isn't ruled out, I have seen mullet in the Liffy beside where I live and I remember people fishing for them years ago along the quays, how far up the Liffy does one have to go before you can catch trout?
    And can you catch any thing apart from mullet in the lower stretches?
    Some youngsters that come into my shop (a bike shop in Dolphins barn I opened a few months ago) fish on the canal and say they catch some roach, also interested in fishing the Camac river too but it does run through some rough areas!
    Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭Sparks43

Use the bus/train and fish the beaches from Greystones all the way back to the Pidgeon house in poolbeg

Bait can be picked up very easy at sutton and dollymount

I have sent you a pm with my number if you need further advice on sea fishing (coarse fishing is not my forte)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭slowburner

The waters above Islandbridge weir up as far as Chapelizod bridge are free fishing to the best of my knowledge. It is an underused coarse fishery and has plenty of Pike, Perch and Roach. Access is probably best through the gates to Trinity boat club or through the Memorial park - traveling by bike probably gives you an advantage here :)
    Then there's the Tolka and the Dodder for trout - not strictly the city centre, but reachable by bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 869 ✭✭✭Holyboy

slowburner wrote: »
    The waters above Islandbridge weir up as far as Chapelizod bridge are free fishing to the best of my knowledge. It is an underused coarse fishery and has plenty of Pike, Perch and Roach. Access is probably best through the gates to Trinity boat club or through the Memorial park - traveling by bike probably gives you an advantage here :)
    Then there's the Tolka and the Dodder for trout - not strictly the city centre, but reachable by bike.

Thanks for the information, I used to fish the Dodder a lot when I was younger,didn't even think about the Tolka, I'm just being a bit lazy I don't want to have to travel too far as I'm working 60 plus hours a week I just want some where close to home to relax and catch a few fish,I'll check out the Liffey a bit more,do you know if there are any trout in that stretch?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭slowburner

Holyboy wrote: »
    Thanks for the information, I used to fish the Dodder a lot when I was younger,didn't even think about the Tolka, I'm just being a bit lazy I don't want to have to travel too far as I'm working 60 plus hours a week I just want some where close to home to relax and catch a few fish,I'll check out the Liffey a bit more,do you know if there are any trout in that stretch?
    I can't say I ever heard of any being caught there or saw any rising, but trout turn up in the oddest places.
    Tight lines!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭thehamo

definitely trout below the weir and further up in lucan so id be very surprised if there wasnt. however my self ive never seen a rise and if you fish using a worm chances are your gonna catch a perch or a roach, spinning again a perch or a pike

• Advertisement
Advertisement