Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Buying a Car In The Recession - Discount?

• 17-03-2009 9:14pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,251 ✭✭✭✭

Just wondering what sort of discount people have been getting from garages at the moment?

To listen to some people, I should expect to walk into a garage with 8k cash and walk away with a car priced at €8999 for it. I think a garage would reduce that price to 8500e but I can't see them going down to 8k.

Has anyone here got much discount from haggling when buying in the present climate?

I'm in no mad rush to change my car (September is when I need to have it changed by) so I might even hold off until the Summer when things might get worse for garages.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,477 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

the discount given or the original price aren't really important, what's important is what you actually pay for a particular car. don't get too caught up in getting thousands off an inflated list price.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,251 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

I went to a local dealer yesterday and they were looking for 12995 for an 03 Audi with 120k mileage!

Way overpriced! In five minutes, the salesman had dropped the price to 11k. Still far too expensive though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,716 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Lemlin wrote: »
    I went to a local dealer yesterday and they were looking for 12995 for an 03 Audi with 120k mileage!

Way overpriced! In five minutes, the salesman had dropped the price to 11k. Still far too expensive though.

€11k is very good for an '03 Audi S8 ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭pcardin

unkel wrote: »
    €11k is very good for an '03 Audi S8 ;)

:D:D or even '03 Audi S6 :D

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 40,300 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Looking at carzone, '03 A3s are on sale for €5,999 to €16,950 (different models and mostly from dealers in fairness). Still, thats some difference!
    Given that almost nothing is moving these days, a dealer would be a foll to price themselves out of contention!

• Advertisement

kbannon wrote: »
    Looking at carzone, '03 A3s are on sale for €5,999 to €16,950

Who mentioned A3s? Surely the OP is looking for an S8 as I interpreted his post or at least an S6 as pcardin interpreted his post :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,065 ✭✭✭j@utis

Just wondering what sort of discount people have been getting from garages at the moment?

To listen to some people, I should expect to walk into a garage with 8k cash and walk away with a car priced at €8999 for it. I think a garage would reduce that price to 8500e but I can't see them going down to 8k.

Has anyone here got much discount from haggling when buying in the present climate?

I'm in no mad rush to change my car (September is when I need to have it changed by) so I might even hold off until the Summer when things might get worse for garages.

I'm planning to do exactly the same thing, even with the same 8k eur. my sister got 6.5k car for 6k the same moment when she started waving with the bundle of notes under their noses.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭enviro

I recently looked at buying a 05 Pajero, I had a test drive and showed I was interested in buying the jeep but I made it clear the price was too expensive and told the dealer to get in touch with me if he was willing to do a better deal and we left it at that. Within two days he rang me and dropped the price by 1k. I felt it still wasn't a runner at that price so I said as much. He dropped another 500 straight away. I stood my ground on getting a better deal so that was that. A week later I got a text from the dealer saying he'll let the 05 pajero go for 2k less than the asking price, final price drop and that he'll keep the jeep for himself if it doesn't sell at this lowered price. I'm still thinking about it, But my advice to anyone is to haggle! Buyers market right now for sure. Try find out the sellers bottom line price and go from there.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 40,300 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Who mentioned A3s? Surely the OP is looking for an S8 as I interpreted his post or at least an S6 as pcardin interpreted his post :)
    I reckoned that because this is Ireland, people would prefer to buy the basic model for as much as possible :D

Yeah I suppose a base A3 is even worse value than a Golf or a Corolla :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,251 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

It was an A4 I was talking about. Thought I'd said that! Apologies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭Darragh29

I might even hold off until the Summer when things might get worse for garages.

Sure wait until this time next year, they might be even worse by then. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭mumof2

Im thinking about waiting till after the summer too, as they're still asking ridiculous amounts. :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,223 ✭✭✭MarkN

Depends on the price tag..

I got about 10% off an M3, you won't get that off an A3 that's retailing it at 11 grand.

Bargain hard, walk away if you're not happy... salesperson will probably come chasing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,477 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

MarkN wrote: »
    I got about 10% off an M3, you won't get that off an A3 that's retailing it at 11 grand.

1100 off isn't unachievable on something like that. in fact I'd say it's easy.

Sorry, you're right, just what 10% meant for me and the same discount for 11k is quite a significant difference.

My bad.

What I did in a confusing way mean, is they've less room to move in a cheaper car.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Depends on the price tag..

I got about 10% off an M3
    I thought you had a trade-in, MarkN?

Doesn't mean I couldn't haggle the cost of change down by a lot more than originally offered and while the price for my trading car stayed the same the list of the M3 came down, got the best of both worlds.

Doesn't mean I couldn't haggle the cost of change down by a lot more than originally offered and while the price for my trading car stayed the same the list of the M3 came down, got the best of both worlds.
    I'm sure you got a good deal, but it's impossible to say what you paid for the new car when you have a trade-in. Whether the garage raised the value of your trade-in or dropped the price of the new car is just playing with numbers.

When you look at what you're trading in and the value a dealer gives it and it gets to the point where the retail price of the car leaves maybe 500 quid in it for the dealer you can roughly see the price you're getting the new car for.

To the OP I would just suggest playing hard and go straight in for the kill - say "if you can do this car for x I will take it, if not we'll call it quits". It'll save the messing of trying to both meet each other half way and the salesperson will put their best foot forward from the start usually. I know it pained the dealer doing the deal they did with me on the M3 as they literally told me it did. :)

• Advertisement

When you look at what you're trading in and the value a dealer gives it and it gets to the point where the retail price of the car leaves maybe 500 quid in it for the dealer you can roughly see the price you're getting the new car for.

To the OP I would just suggest playing hard and go straight in for the kill - say "if you can do this car for x I will take it, if not we'll call it quits". It'll save the messing of trying to both meet each other half way and the salesperson will put their best foot forward from the start usually. I know it pained the dealer doing the deal they did with me on the M3 as they literally told me it did.
    Honestly, you can't. When there are two cars involved it's impossible to say either what you got for your car or what you paid for the new car - the only definite figure is the cost to change. Sounds like a good salesman though, i'd love to have seen his pained face as he did the deal.;)

Advertisement