Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Enclosed Boiler

• 22-02-2015 5:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭

Hi All.
    First time poster in these parts. Quick bit of advice if possible please? Currently house hunting and I think we would be bidding on one we like this coming week. However the boiler is fully enclosed behind the fireplace wall / above the hearth. If I'm being clear? I've had the boiler in this location before in my previous place but it could be accessed from the side by a small wood door. Am I right to think it's a bit strange for the boiler to be fully enclosed and non accessible like this?
    How big a job is it to change that? It's an old house if that explains the odd location of the boiler?
    Many thanks in advance for any info. As stated, we like this house but don't want to be cursing myself when I'm trying to service / fix the boiler in future.
    Cheers.

Comments

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,496 ✭✭✭DGOBS

Is it directly behind the fire (we call this a BBU, back boiler unit)
    If so, yes a good bit of plumbing required to move as gas and water pipework would be required

A picture tells a thousand words, if possible

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭sky6

Is it the Boiler or the Cylinder you're talking about as I know a lot of people call the Cylinder the boiler. As said a picture would be a great help.

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭Alicano

Hi All,
    Thanks for the reply's. Discussing with my Father, it would seem it's a cylinder. Afraid I don't have photo's as it was post viewing when we asked. It would just look like a regular fireplace with the addition of a digital thermostat at the side.
    That's all a bit new to me, but in general are these set up's problematic? Am i setting myself up for a big job in the short-medium term?
    Many thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 205 ✭✭Jimmy_M

This was common way of feeding central heating system... back before natural gas was piped straight to people's front door.

You really only see it now in older houses that have not been retro fitted with oil or gas ... Ive never seen a back boiler where you COULD acces it without taking out the fire. There was one in my house but it was decommissioned when mains gas was installed (before i bought it).

Decomissioned = cut the pipes feeding the rads (there was a load of pipes boxed of by a timber running the vertical legth of the alsove besdie the fireplace) and drill hoes in the boiler (cylinder) - it was never actually taken out.

Having said all that its not the most efficient way of heating a house, so if i were you id be more worried about getting rid of it rather than wondering if it will be a nightmare to service.

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭Alicano

Many thanks for the detailed reply Jimmy M. I think I'll have to bring a Plumber with me to view and give me a guideline as to potential problems, costs etc.
    Pity really as everything else in the house was renovated in '09.
    Again, thanks for the response.

• Advertisement
Advertisement