Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Evolution Tyres

• 30-09-2013 9:14pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 150 ✭✭

I was just wondering if any of you lads have any experience with this brand. I bought two new ones 60 euro each.Which I know is cheap and I don't expect much from them.

BUT

The fella that fitted them used a **** load of weights to balance them.I mean nearly a third of the rim is covered in weights.

Surly that cant be right? Can it?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Are the tyres called "Evolution"? New brand to me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 150 ✭✭darrenon

I think so.

That's what it has wrote on the walls twice, but the fella I bought them from has what looks like Techanic on the receipt.

I counted them today 15 weights on one side and 11 on the other. has anyone seen this many before???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,477 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

They're not kingpin technic evo remoulds are they?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,497 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Hope they are not retreads. Technic tyres on eBay. Lots of retreads in the list.

Not your ornery onager

• Advertisement

How can you tell if there remoulded??

Because it did cross my mind... They were sold as new tyres

Take a picture.

They'd normally have retread or remould written on the sidewall.

Thanks...

Ill have a look tomorrow and try post up a pic or two..

Thanks again

yeah there remoulds.....

I asked for new tyres and he put them on.

I questioned him about it he Says they are a new tyre and they can sell them as new tyres???????

Anybody got any advise about this?

I could have gone for cheap part worn but I wanted new with winter coming in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Bring them back. You asked for new tyres, not remoulds.
    Then go somewhere else and buy a brand name tyre instead (something you have heard of)
    I like Uniroyal Rainexperts, usually about 85 or so (see if you can get fitting included).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,313 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

darrenon wrote: »
    yeah there remoulds.....

I asked for new tyres and he put them on.

I questioned him about it he Says they are a new tyre and they can sell them as new tyres???????

Anybody got any advise about this?

You'd probably have been better off with the part worns to be honest.

What new tyres did he put on? Hopefully a decent brand name one otherwise you've just wasted your money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,497 ✭✭✭✭Esel

BX 19 wrote: »
    You'd probably have been better off with the part worns to be honest.

What new tyres did he put on? Hopefully a decent brand name one otherwise you've just wasted your money.
    I think the OP means that he asked for new tyres but they fitted the remoulds.

Not your ornery onager

New tyres and remoulds are not the same thing. Tell him you would not have bought them had you known - and the number of weights on the wheel is an indication as to how imbalanced they are.
    Tell him he needs to swap them for actual new tyres or you'll go to joe duffy or something.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭George Dalton

One of our tyre suppliers is always trying to sell these sh1t yokes to us. Apparently they are flying out the door :rolleyes:

What size were they @€;60 each out of interest?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,289 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

I thought remoulds were not longer permitted to be sold in this country? €60 for a remould is mental imo.

bazz26 wrote: »
    I thought remoulds were not longer permitted to be sold in this country?
    Think once they have an e mark they're ok?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Think once they have an e mark they're ok?

But wouldn't the E mark be there from when they tyre was original? Nothing to say it's up to that standard as a remould.

But wouldn't the E mark be there from when they tyre was original? Nothing to say it's up to that standard as a remould.

No, they remould the sidewall too so the original markings (manufacturer etc) would be gone and replaced by new markings.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

colm_mcm wrote: »
    No, they remould the sidewall too so the original markings (manufacturer etc) would be gone and replaced by new markings.

Ah right, I thought it was just the tread that was remoulded :o

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭Wheres My ForkandKnife

Go back and tell him they are not new tyres. Ask for new tyres and pay the difference.

TBH I don't know how far you will get if his attitude is that they are new tyres. The fact that he tried to justify it by saying he is entitled to sell them as new tyres says it all. It is a shady practice to say the least.

I didn't realise you could still buy remoulds. I remember years ago when everyone had them. They were absolute shyte. For anyone who slates chinese tyres they should try a few days on these. No grip whatsoever and they literally walk off the car.

Best of luck op in sorting it. No matter what the outcome I would never use this garage again and I would make sure that none of my family or friends do either

• Advertisement

When I went back yesterday the guy that put them on insisted they were new tyres. So I argued my case telling him I don't consider them new and neither does consumer affairs.

I asked about new tyres and he told me the cheapest they do are 80 euro. I can get new tyres down the road for 60 so I asked him to take them off so I can go else where but he asked me to come back tomorrow(today) when the boss was there.

I was looking forward to seeing him but when I arrived the same guy I had been talking to said the boss is gone but there going to put the 80 euro tyres on at no extra cost.

So I am happy but its obviously a scam and someone else is going to end up a victim.

The tyres are 205/55 r16 the brand they put on are nan kang... they have to be better than the remould.

Thanks again for the advice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

Which I know is cheap and I don't expect much from them.
    the brand they put on are nan kang...

The mind truly boggles.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,846 ✭✭✭discombobulate

When I went back yesterday the guy that put them on insisted they were new tyres. So I argued my case telling him I don't consider them new and neither does consumer affairs.

I asked about new tyres and he told me the cheapest they do are 80 euro. I can get new tyres down the road for 60 so I asked him to take them off so I can go else where but he asked me to come back tomorrow(today) when the boss was there.

I was looking forward to seeing him but when I arrived the same guy I had been talking to said the boss is gone but there going to put the 80 euro tyres on at no extra cost.

So I am happy but its obviously a scam and someone else is going to end up a victim.

The tyres are 205/55 r16 the brand they put on are nan kang... they have to be better than the remould.

Nankangs would be budget tyres. Better than the remoulds anyway! They get mixed reviews. If you were worried about having a good tyre for the winter you should have got branded tyres even if they cost that bit extra. A make like Falken wouldn't have been much more but have a good reputation.

Going in to a garage and asking for their cheapest new tyres is never going to have you leaving with decent rubber.

Y does it boggle my.

It have nothing constructive to add why waste your time putting anything up..

Thanks discombobulated

I don't know about tyres but I do know these are better than the remoulds so Im happy enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,969 ✭✭✭enricoh

used to work at tyres 10-15 years ago n i'd never put remoulds on my car after i saw what came back from customers - blow out wouldnt describe it, the tyres would look like the strips of rubber u see on the side of the motorway off trucks!the standard response off the boss was he never saw the likes of that happening before!

wouldnt go back near a place that fits them when u asked for new - n the same for the part worn places putting on winter tyres when u want normal tyres. was driving a yoke in the hot weather in july with them n they were dangerously spongy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,289 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Nankangs are at the lower end of budget tyres. Imo that place did you no favour in telling you a Nankang would cost €80. My father got Hankooks which are a better brand than Nankangs in that size for €75 each fitted and balanced.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,768 ✭✭✭dmc17

bazz26 wrote: »
    Nankangs are at the lower end of budget tyres. Imo that place did you no favour in telling you a Nankang would cost €80. My father got Hankooks which are a better brand than Nankangs in that size for €75 each fitted and balanced.

Indeed but the OP got about €20 worth of balancing weights to sweeten the deal :pac:

OP, I think it goes without saying not to go near these chancers again and recommend people avoid them. If you need advice on tyres you won't go too far wrong asking on this forum first and then you can go somewhere and get a quote for the tyres and work from there.

Those remoulds are probably on some other suckers car already!

Good result OP.

Advertisement