Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

May seem like a stupid...

• 29-05-2012 1:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭

question but.....

I have a jeep up for sale and a guy has just rung me and wants to buy my jeep but is leaving the country on Friday and wants to take the jeep with him but he has asked me to give him the log book rather than me send it off to shannon. There is no tax or insurance on the jeep at the moment.....so do I steer clear or not?

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 40,345 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Scam imo!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Don't give him the log book!

He can sign it and address it to his parents or mates house and they will send it on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

If takes the log book the car remains in your name and you remain liable for any fines etc that he incures. When selling a car you are the one who should send the log book to Shannon; never ever allow the buyer to take it with them on the promise that they will send it off.

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭notsobusy

Yeah I immediately got suspect and said I'd ring him back. He said he needs it for when he drives through France and Germany......

Will tell him no so! Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,424 ✭✭✭garhjw

scam for sure, i presume he will want to pay you with a draft, which will bounce but only after he is long gone...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Might he need the logbook to register the car abroad, in much the same way as we do here?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

Ask him to go to the local police station with you to complete the transaction in front of a Garda! Then you can write a receipt too where both of you can sign and the Garda can stamp it. And ask for cash!

Anan1 wrote: »
    Might he need the logbook to register the car abroad, in much the same way as we do here?
    Possibly but given that (based on the OP), the "buyer" hasn't even seen the jeep, I would doubt that there is anything legit in his interest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,032 ✭✭✭Jimbob 83

Obvious scam.

He has car and logbook leaves country with you left with a dodgy cheque/draft, he will probably want to deal on a friday evening too...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,386 ✭✭✭EKRIUQ

Photocopy the log book and give him a copy but keep the original.

• Advertisement

he said he's only going home for 2 months and will need the log book to get through france and germany, but if it's i my name surely they will think it's stolen anyway?!?

EKRIUQ wrote: »
    ...and accept either cash on in-bank transfer only. I'd bet he will lose all interest then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

kbannon wrote: »
    Possibly but given that (based on the OP), the "buyer" hasn't even seen the jeep, I would doubt that there is anything legit in his interest.
    Isn't there a form that one can fill out to 'deregister' oneself as the owner of a car?

notsobusy wrote: »
    he said he's only going home for 2 months and will need the log book to get through france and germany, but if it's i my name surely they will think it's stolen anyway?!?
    Did he explain why he is travelling on Friday and only now looking to get a vehicle?

EKRIUQ wrote: »

Then do I ask him to put his Irish address in and I send it to shannon? He said he would give me cash and that he wants to come up this evening but it's a 4 hour drive from where he is :eek:

Did he explain why he is travelling on Friday and only now looking to get a vehicle?

No he didn't. His english was very poor. Hmm the more I think about it the more I am leaning towards telling him sorry but no!

Then do I ask him to put his Irish address in and I send it to shannon? He said he would give me cash and that he wants to come up this evening but it's a 4 hour drive from where he is :eek:

4h drive isn't unusual im gonna be driving from galway to waterford to look at a car in a week or so which is almost that and i will be bringing my brother and a mechanic friend, so nothing suspicious about that at all really.

ROAD TRIP ....!!!! :pac:

For a 900euro jeep?

If he pays you in cash then:
    1. bring along a witness
    2. get a photo of his licence (e.g. on a camera phone)
    3. get a photo of him
    4. transfer the vehicle into his name and address (using the licence)
    5. *you* post it to Shannon
    6. walk away

If you can do the transfer in a public place, all the better.
    Also, he may pressurise you into giving the docs over to him. Don't do this as you will then be liable for any fines, etc!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

If you can do the transfer in a public place, all the better.
    Also, he may pressurise you into giving the docs over to him. Don't do this as you will then be liable for any fines, etc!

Easier to do what I said earlier and carry out the transaction in a Garda station.

• Advertisement

Agreed but we don't know where the OP lives - there may not be an open garda station nearby.

I live in Co Louth so I think Ardee should be open this evening when and if your man gets here. The other thing is that if he does give me cash then I will have to get the notes checked if he gives me 50's.

I live in Co Louth so I think Ardee should be open this evening when and if your man gets here. The other thing is that if he does give me cash then I will have to get the notes checked if he gives me 50's.

Hand held note checkers are fairly cheap

There is a supermarket beside the garda station so will get them to check the notes for me!

I'm now waiting for him to get back to me whether he can come up this evening. He's looking for a friend to drive him up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,685 ✭✭✭✭wonski

Does the car you sell have valid NCT? If not, i don't think the guy will drive it through the continent for long if stopped at any time...
    I would wait for proper buyer if i was you. Selling 900E jeep shouldn't be that hard, if it is driving...

DOE up on it in two months. It's driving great. Nothing wrong with it except it's a commercial and I need a passenger one now! Which I got 2 weeks ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 589 ✭✭✭danjo

So you are going down to the Garda station in a jeep with no tax or insurance!

How is the buyer going to drive it without these?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,685 ✭✭✭✭wonski

danjo wrote: »
    So you are going down to the Garda station in a jeep with no tax or insurance!

How is the buyer going to drive it without these?

OP has another car, doesn't have to use untaxed/uninsured one...and never mentioned he will...

Exactly and if your man wants to drive off in the car with no tax and insurance and I have his details surely it's on him not me. I'm not his minder.

• Advertisement

Suprise suprise yer man didn't turn up....:rolleyes:

Advertisement