Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Camping & fishing in the Uk

Options
  • 11-07-2011 3:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭

Hi all,

Got a quick question,
    My Fiancee an I are thinking of arranging a fishing trip across the pond to the Uk, and I am curious to find out about any particular places anybody may know of that offers, a camping & fishing break on some good quailty lakes/rivers/resovoirs for fly or bait fishing for Trout.

There is so much online but as you know its hard to judge a book by its cover and the best way to get an understanding is by asking the people in the know.

If anyone has any reccomendations or suggestions I would be so grateful.

thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 924 ✭✭✭okedoke

Hi Kenny

I was looking at Builth Wells in Wales for a similar type holiday last year (went elsewhere in the end). There's a campsite on the edge of the town through which the River Wye flows and it's in the middle of the big Wye/Usk river system. Easy to get permits too. These are meant to be cracking rivers - fly fishing only I'd say though.

http://www.whitehousecampsite.co.uk/Home.html

http://www.wyeuskfoundation.org/fishing/booking_office/

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭kennyw

Aww thanks very much okedoke,

I have had a gander through the links there that you posted, Seems like a good find.

Would you reccomend driving over, or would it be better to get local transport from the airport/ferry port nearby.?

Its just i can see that there is a train station there nearby on the map.

I know you personally didnt go last year so im just wondering what would be the best mode of transport for convience.

thanks again for the links. much appricated.

PS: do you know any other fishing trips in the Uk, or further afield that would be worth a go.. Im up for any suggestions.. the more the merrier. :)

Hi Kenny

I was planning on driving over. I ended up going to Slovenia last year. It's not that expensive, I didn't camp but there's plenty of campsites over there and great fishing (although some rivers are stocked with rainbows there is a lot of wild fishing over there as well).
    Czech Republic is also very good - cheaper than Slovenia and all wild trout and grayling.

Here are some reports of previous trips to Slovenia and Czech Republic to give you an idea.

http://www.flyforums.co.uk/destination-fishing/23235-czech-republic-may-2008-a.html
    http://www.flyforums.co.uk/destination-fishing/43350-slovenia-may-27th-june-03-trip-report.html

Steve

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭kennyw

I hear great things about slovenia. Is their season any way different to ours.. What part of slovina did you go to after..

Would you reccommend bringing your own gear or can you rent over there.?

What species of fish would be more prolific over there.?

I apologise in advance for teh vast amount of questions. Just you cant beat detail when trying to get things planned. And you seem to know your stuff and cant help but pick your brain..

:)

Kenny

I'd bring gear over - I never heard about renting gear over there but it may be possible.

I flew Ryanair into Trieste and rented a car and drove to Tolmin (about 2 hours drive). The local club in Tolmin has 4 or 5 rivers you can fish. The permits are fairly expensive (google Tolmin fishing permit for prices).

Species: Rainbow Trout, Grayling, Marble Trout some brown trout.

Spring or autumn meant to be best - would probably be too hot in July or August for all day fishing.

Anymore questions fire away

Steve

• Advertisement
Advertisement