Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Place to get brake pads and discs changed?

• 11-09-2010 11:09am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 27

Hi all,

I was quoted 230 euro for front pads and discs for my Audi A4 and 200 euro for the back. The sensor has just come on so not sure long how I have until I must change them. Anyway, can anyone recommend a place in Dublin, preferably Northside, where I can get the front and back changed at a resonable price? I would have thought 200 euro for both would be resonable.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭sentient_6

How come you need to change the discs as well as the pads?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭mullingar

If the discs are worn more than 1mm on each face, they must be replaced.

Simplest way to check is the lip on the edge of the disc that was not worn away by the pads. If it is thicker than 1mm, it needs replacement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,648 ✭✭✭knifey_spoonie

TBH €200 would be no where near reasonable for someone to change front & rear pads and disks, by any chance were your brakes making squeling/grinding noises.

You should'nt need new disks until about 80k miles but if you have let your pads get down to metal you very well may, also by any chance if the car an english import??

The price all depends on the brand of pads/discs,

-Cheap and cheerful pads & discs sets (per axle) will cost around €80-100.

-Decent brand pads & discs sets (per axle) will cost around €100-140.

Find out what brand they intend to fit.

What engine/year is your A4?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭bryaner

mullingar wrote: »

Simplest way to check is the lip on the edge of the disc that was not worn away by the pads. If it is thicker than 1mm, it needs replacement

Better take about 75% of the cars in the country off the road so.

• Advertisement

bryaner wrote: »
    Better take about 75% of the cars in the country off the road so.

You are probably right.

But, most car/disc manufacturers state on their manuals the discs minimum thickness allowed. This is usually 2mm (1mm per side).

It is a bit over-kill just 2mm as discs would probably be fine for 3-4mm, but I'm not going to risk it :)

You are probably right.

But, most car/disc manufacturers state on their manuals the discs minimum thickness allowed. This is usually 2mm (1mm per side).

It is a bit over-kill just 2mm as discs would probably be fine for 3-4mm, but I'm not going to risk it :)

Yes your better off with plenty of meat

By jaysus iv'e seen some dangerous discs over the years.

Try this site to give you a rough idea of the price of the parts

http://www.irishautoparts.ie/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭sentient_6

Didnt know this, cool. I presumed discs would always be fine if you dont let your pads to down to steel on steel & warp them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 Mr Bleech

The price all depends on the brand of pads/discs,

-Cheap and cheerful pads & discs sets (per axle) will cost around €80-100.

-Decent brand pads & discs sets (per axle) will cost around €100-140.

Find out what brand they intend to fit.

What engine/year is your A4?

It's a 1.8 2000 Audi A4. It's got 108000 miles on it, but bought it a year ago with 98000 miles on it. I brought it for a service to Advance and your man there quoted me those prices in my OP. He told me that I should get both the discs and pads changed front and back. I would say I have zero knowledge of cars but have an idea of when they're trying to rip me off. Also, it's not an import as per previous question.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,025 ✭✭✭✭-Corkie-

Mr Bleech wrote: »
    It's a 1.8 2000 Audi A4. It's got 108000 miles on it, but bought it a year ago with 98000 miles on it. I brought it for a service to Advance and your man there quoted me those prices in my OP. He told me that I should get both the discs and pads changed front and back. I would say I have zero knowledge of cars but have an idea of when they're trying to rip me off. Also, it's not an import as per previous question.

Dont mind Advance. Get a good indy Audi mechanic to do the job.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,615 ✭✭✭kildare.17hmr

I dont think anyone is tryin to rip you off, altho ya will get it cheaper. you get what you pay for but with regards to brakes id only want good quality parts fitted to my car

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,462 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Get another opinion on the discs to be sure. alot of these places will always try to get you to replace disc as well when sometimes they are not needed. I would especially query whether the back discs were needed too. The warning light would only be related to front pad wear so it is also possible that you dont even need rear pads either never mind the discs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭rebel.ranter

Some cars have warning sensors on the back, I would be surprised if you could get a set of discs & pads for €100 per axle, never mind actually having them fitted for that price as well as supply.
    I would have said (per axle) €40 for pads & €90 for discs for spurious parts (just under double that for main dealer supplied), add €50 for labour (per axle). Slightly cheaper for the back.
    I wouldn't be surprised if your back discs & pads also need changing at the miles quoted. The front discs could be well past it & the backs just approaching end of life.
    I would not skimp on brakes my personal preference is to use OEM discs & pads, I know you can get equivalent supplied parts (e.g. ATE & Textar/Jurid supply BMW with discs & pads, but try to get them locally). Between poor braking performance, squealing, poor fitment, discs warping I have always been let down by non OEM.
    Anyway it's your choice but Advance or the like is the last place I would be taking my car. A good independent would be miles better.

Some cars have warning sensors on the back, I would be surprised if you could get a set of discs & pads for €100 per axle, never mind actually having them fitted for that price as well as supply.
    I would have said (per axle) €40 for pads & €90 for discs for spurious parts (just under double that for main dealer supplied), add €50 for labour (per axle). Slightly cheaper for the back.

http://www.micksgarage.ie/autoparts.aspx?dept=159&ga=82&b=57&AssemblyID=100032&MakeID=5&ModelID=253&CarID=4614
    http://www.micksgarage.ie/autoparts.aspx?dept=185&ga=402&b=57&AssemblyID=100030&MakeID=5&ModelID=253&CarID=4614

Front disc: €28 x2 = €56 + pads @37 = €93

Rear disc: €29 x2 = €58 + pads @21 = €79

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭rebel.ranter

They are cheap, wonder what the quality is like?

Advertisement